• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pay attention to basics

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
One thing that many people bypass when they play a game is basics. Basics are some of the most important things in any game but especially a fighting game like ssb. Many people (more than most) just want to jump into ats because they think they know the basics or the basics are boring. This is IMPORTANT TO LEARN especially with a character like Pit. Pit is a close in fighter and if you don't learn how to space, evade, and attack properly you are going to die.
I cannot stress the importance of SPACING enough. With a character like Pit you are not going to get good if you dont learn how to space. That's just all there is to it. I have watched a lot of Pit players and they all make the same mistake (myself included, I have trouble with this too). They all dash or roll at every opportunity. These are both good moves, but no move is good unless it is used in the right situation. Many attacks can be avoided simply by walking out of the way. There is a very indepth description of this that I recomend every Pit player should read. The url is http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160643.
An absolutly HUGE thing that is vital to Pit are arrows. SPAM YOUR ARROWS. They are one of Pit's best weapons. Sure its not much damage for each arrow but they add up and stun. You can combo out of them, rack up damage, or just be completely annoying with them. They are one of your greatest weapons in any match. Do not use them sparingly. You have infinite of them. SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This also means shooting arrows a lot off of the stage. Just because someone hits you off of the edge doesn't mean that they have to have the upper hand. **** them with arrows just as much when you are off the stage as when you hit them off the stage. You can do so much off of the edge with Pit. You have one of the best recoveries in the game. USE IT.
With Pit having the limited range that he does you really need to know what to use when. Also keep in mind that whenever Pit strikes with his right hand the hit box extends farther than when he strikes with his left. The best example of this is his forward smash. Some of you may have noticed that when your opp. doesn't move and ou use your forward smash the first strike won't hit but the second one will. Now you know why. Pit truly has no bad moves. You just have to know when to use them. Simple example: if someone is in freefall don't hit them with an arrow. Bair dat s*** son. The simple A combo is also an excellent move. Both versions of this are good for combos and have excellent ground game.
Another huge part of playing a character like pit is mind games. This is where you get a little taste of the ats (aren't you excited). However, it also brings us back to arrows again (ha ha and you were all excited). the at that can help with mind games with arrows is arrow stalling. A url to this is http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153140. This is a simple yet effective technique to confuse your opp. Another thing that is pretty simple is arrow looping. This can really freak out your opp. If you get good enough with the basics which are SUPER IMPORTANT by the way you may want to try wing dashing or some WoI tricks. Other than that you just have play around with Pit and see what works for you.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
In short, "SPAM ARROWZ... BLARFG!!!111!!". What exactly is your point? Everyone that uses pit knows that he has arrows.

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
You might be suprised how many people don't and way to many don't spam them off the stage. Also that's not what the whole post is about. This isn't meant to be a guide to Pit, it's just supposed to be general info that you might have over looked.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
pit is not as big on spacing as chracters like the fire wmblem warriors and DDD, or most chracters for that matter. What i think you meant to say is just put yourself in a position where you can attack, and not be attacked as easily.

with that being said, spacing is always important, but with pit i would rather emphasize CLOSE COMBAT. Get your reflexes on point, and start thinking ahead. A pit who can play close combat is deadly. By close combat i mean like shield grab range... except your not getting grabbed you are using Infinite jab combos, D-tilts, N-airs and following any air pop attack with a U-air. If you can stay that close to an opponent there is little that they can do. If you knock them far enough, which should be after racking tons of damage up in their face, youve earned yourself the privilege of spamming arrows.

Okay maybe i exaggerated a lil bit, but i think that a strong pit develops from good close combat and solid, intelligent recovery. NOT so much arrows... every pit should know how to use them regardless

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
that is what i meant. maybe spacing wasn't the right word for it, but the main thing that i was trying to get across is that you need to be at a distance that you are comfortable being at while not being hit. While I agree that any kind of real combat damage should be done at close range I think that Pit is also a very good distance fighter.

Top Bottom