• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.3

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
OK, so Charizard got a couple of buffs in the latest patch. However, Bowser, Ganon, Kirby, Mewtwo, and Shulk got a lot of buffs, meaning we might see them more in tournament play. In addition, there's a completely new matchup to learn. How will this patch affect Charizard's matchups?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
This patch wasn't very friendly to Zard overall. Cloud doesn't seem to be a good matchup, and he seems to now be outclassed by bowser.

It's no fair, why does bowser get to have a hoo hah?

PS. We're calling bowser's new combo the bow wow. I need that name to catch on, okay? :yeahboi:

:150:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wouldn't agree with outclassed, we both have kill throws now only his works off another move and ours works better with platforms and we have other traits better than bowser.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I think the patch was pretty friendly to Zard. Usmash actually works now. Dash attack creates edge guard situations. I don't think we need buffs outside of that to have a good patch.

That being said, Cloud seems pretty strong. It's way too early to say anything definitive but I think he'll be at least on the upper end of mid tier.

I'm not too worried about the landing lag buffs they gave other characters (unless a couple of frames was all Shulk needed to combo into backslash) but Bowser's new uthrow is pretty good. It significantly improves his OoS game which was really one dimensional before.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Definitely in regards to Usmash. I was testing its performance by having Ganondorf stand behind Charizard within range of getting hit by Usmash first hit, & the move helped link into the second hit's startup. This is great.:love:

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
if Charizard has significantly less landing lag on fair and faster air speed, he will be amazing, that's all he really needs. The buffs in this patch are like a "this is nice, but not what we need" kinda thing. Another thing on my wishlist is auto-canceling bair from short hop, just think how dumb and amazing that would be (Which is why it will never happen...)

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Charizard's Dash attack endlag was reduced by 5 frames. It is now faster than DK's to complete, so that's something.
What about the differences in angles on dash attack? Does that change anything? I don't have a Wii U to test but at higher percents it seemed a lot easier to follow up with a fair.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
I think the patch was pretty friendly to Zard. Usmash actually works now. Dash attack creates edge guard situations. I don't think we need buffs outside of that to have a good patch.

That being said, Cloud seems pretty strong. It's way too early to say anything definitive but I think he'll be at least on the upper end of mid tier.

I'm not too worried about the landing lag buffs they gave other characters (unless a couple of frames was all Shulk needed to combo into backslash) but Bowser's new uthrow is pretty good. It significantly improves his OoS game which was really one dimensional before.
Please elaborate on how it's an edge guarding option. I never considered it as such. I'm legit curious.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Please elaborate on how it's an edge guarding option. I never considered it as such. I'm legit curious.
I never said that it's good for edge guards, just that it sets them up. It can actually force some characters to recover low at higher percents or if you catch them without a second jump. I'd consider that a plus, however slight.

What about the differences in angles on dash attack? Does that change anything? I don't have a Wii U to test but at higher percents it seemed a lot easier to follow up with a fair.
I tested it. No true combos out of dash attack without DI. Maybe if they DI in though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They go more horizontally. Ruined some former set-ups but overall it is a buff.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
Also I believe the knockback growth on down smash was increased. How does that affect Charizard?

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Also I believe the knockback growth on down smash was increased. How does that affect Charizard?
I mean, Dsmash is just better at doing what it was doing before. It hasn't changed all that much.

It has nice range and covers the front and the back of Charizard so it's good for reading rolls. It'll kill/gimp earlier now though. Same goes for opponents regrabbing the ledge (go for trumps, guys).

Outside of that it's still outclassed by Usmash though.

Last edited:

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
This patch wasn't very friendly to Zard overall. Cloud doesn't seem to be a good matchup, and he seems to now be outclassed by bowser.

It's no fair, why does bowser get to have a hoo hah?

PS. We're calling bowser's new combo the bow wow. I need that name to catch on, okay? :yeahboi:

:150:
What's not fair? Charizard has been consistently buffed since this game's inception and is now a very solid B+ tier character who's tournament viable. Also, you have a great kill throw that kills around 140 (less with Rage or platforms even) AND a great combo throw that racks up damage very well.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Zard already has a hoo hah esque move. Its just not true. Besides, we've been buffed constantly since the beginning of the game, and have only been nerfed twice, one being a custom and the other being slight recoil "nerf" on flare blitz.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
What's not fair? Charizard has been consistently buffed since this game's inception and is now a very solid B+ tier character who's tournament viable. Also, you have a great kill throw that kills around 140 (less with Rage or platforms even) AND a great combo throw that racks up damage very well.
I don't know about B+ tier. That's a little high. I don't think any character 'better' than Zard is A- or better. I'd consider Zard a B- or a B tops. He's certainly usable in tournaments but his MU spread really isn't great. Also, lacking damaging confirms outside of throw combos and safe kill options/setups outside of throws makes Zard's playstyle super linear. Of all the buffs that Zard could get, I really wish that they didn't have to focus on the grab so much.

I also think that his overall play is pretty underwhelming relative to the other heavies. I'd trade uthrow for a true dthrow -> uair at the right percent (even if the window is tiny) in a heartbeat man. That'd be so strong. Way better than uthrow imo.

I don't even know anymore. I've started to get the feeling that Zard is like a sword character/Dedede except they forgot the safe disjoints and bearable landing lag values. Or Zard is like the other heavy characters except they forgot to give us damage/an aerial to approach with + a kill setup and accidentally gave us a good... dash. I feel like Zard belongs to a non existent character archetype. We do everything the other heavies do without doing any of it particularly well. His kit just doesn't have great synergy. It feels like Charizard was originally made to be a spacing heavy like Dedede except a little closer to midrange, yet they tried to fix their original design by giving him the tools to be an approaching heavy without actually addressing the part of his character that lends him to spacing.

I kinda want a rework. Not gonna lie.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I would be fine with less landing lag on aerials and better airspeed. that is all i would ask for.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yeah his air game is pretty terrible in neutral, which means any character that controls grounded space in front of them really well (Olimar, Rosa, heavy spacers in general) will make your life difficult. Anyone who's plan in neutral is difficult or impossible to powershield.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I would be fine with less landing lag on aerials and better airspeed. that is all i would ask for.
While that would fix Charizard's problems offensively, I think it would make his recovery too good for a heavy (unless specials also get reworked).

Yeah his air game is pretty terrible in neutral, which means any character that controls grounded space in front of them really well (Olimar, Rosa, heavy spacers in general) will make your life difficult. Anyone who's plan in neutral is difficult or impossible to powershield.
Having a bad air game in neutral is fine as long as the character deals a lot of damage across the board or is also a heavy spacer. Zard has a meh air game, meh damage, and a kit split between decent spacing and approaching options. And I understand that there are benefits to being able to both space and approach depending on what you need in a MU but I think it would be best if one was subpar and the other was great. As things stand right now, I'd say Charizard is equally alright but not great at approaching and spacing.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Because having a long *** side b isn't already better than most heavies.
Sarcasm doesn't make a particularly clear argument or foster discussion but uh... Ok?

It depends how much better "better" airspeed is but lets say for argument's sake they make it as good as DK's and change nothing else about Zard's character. Zard's horizontal recovery gets a buff but in tandem with the great vertical reach and armor of Fly, Zard becomes more or less ungimpable regardless of whether or not he has any airjumps when you hit him AND he's crazy heavy to boot. Not a good thing as far as balance is concerned. I wasn't talking about how overkill his horizontal recovery would be with Flare Blitz, if that's what you were implying. Having great, unmatched recovery of one kind is fine but having both presents problems if you are talking about a heavy that already gets to live to really high percents.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
The point I was making is that Charizard already has really good recovery for a heavy. Having better aerial speed won't make it any better than really solid heavy armor for horizontal recovery and super armor to prevent getting spiked vertically. Charizard is already borderline ungimpable unless you charge a smash attack and then they flare blitz into the smash, but that's more of a punish than a gimp.

Besides, it would't break zard. Zard's biggest weaknesses can only be removed if they shrink his hurtbox down to half size. Charizard will remain combo fodder. He'll just be able to actually fight back in the air instead of falling slower than a feather and moving the speed of an ant in the air. He's a freaking flying lizard thing with solid aerials. Why can he not move in the air? ****ing BOWSER has higher air speed than Charizard, and Bowser is a ****ing giant turtle.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
The point I was making is that Charizard already has really good recovery for a heavy. Having better aerial speed won't make it any better than really solid heavy armor for horizontal recovery and super armor to prevent getting spiked vertically. Charizard is already borderline ungimpable unless you charge a smash attack and then they flare blitz into the smash, but that's more of a punish than a gimp.
Having better air speed will absolutely make his horizontal recovery better. As Zard is right now, his horizontal recovery is good when he has air jumps or recovers from hitstun before dipping below the ledge. He also has to be close enough to the ledge to grab it with heavy armor to get back safely. With better airspeed, he gets to recover with non-max distance Uspecial just like DK except Zard gets armor and goes up. That's impossible to gimp.

And there are many other ways to gimp Flare Blitz. You can make it clank with a projectile. You can cape it. You can counter it (this is the big one). And if you think it's worth, just jump into it and Zard won't be able to Fly to the ledge if he's too far away. It's far from ungimpable.

If Zard already has really good recovery for a heavy, that's just another reason not to buff it so that it doesn't become too good for a heavy.

Besides, it would't break zard. Zard's biggest weaknesses can only be removed if they shrink his hurtbox down to half size. Charizard will remain combo fodder. He'll just be able to actually fight back in the air instead of falling slower than a feather and moving the speed of an ant in the air. He's a freaking flying lizard thing with solid aerials. Why can he not move in the air? ****ing BOWSER has higher air speed than Charizard, and Bowser is a ****ing giant turtle.
It won't 'break' Zard as a character at the highest level of play because Zard just isn't a very good character. His recovery will be broken though. He would never get gimped. Not by counters, items, spikes, you name it. Nothing. No heavy is supposed to get something that good, even if the rest of their options fail to measure up to a majority of the cast's options.

That doesn't mean it won't necessarily break him in casual play though. And I'm not one to imply it will. I honestly don't know.

I'm willing to speculate that Bowser has better airspeed because his specials suck for recovering and he only has one jump. See what I'm getting at here?

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
If King Dedede is in the game, then Charizard having a slightly better horizontal recovery is more than reasonable.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Id be happy with just Nair and Bair having less landing lag and sweetspotted f-tilt, Bair and Nair being safe on shield.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
With better airspeed, he gets to recover with non-max distance Uspecial just like DK except Zard gets armor and goes up.
Fly, while having good armor, only has armor during the start up. Also, you can't grab at not full distance. If you are at the ledge when not full distance, you go above it.

You can make it clank with a projectile. You can cape it. You can counter it (this is the big one).
Most projectiles won't clank with it unless it has a hurtbox, like Gyro or samus down b. Caping and Counter are super risky, and because the 2 hits, sometimes you will only counter the first hit, leaving you to get the full blitz worth of knockback. I've had this happen vs Ryukred's Shulk as well as a random Little Mac on FG. Caping also doesn't send that far since, if you need FB to recover, by the time you reach the stage you're already out of momentum or close to it. If anything, more aerial speed will make caping flare blitz more rewarding.

His recovery will be broken though. He would never get gimped. Not by counters, items, spikes, you name it. Nothing.
Because a little aerial speed buff? its not like adding a little bit of aerial speed will suddenly make him move like Lucas. He will still be vulnerable in the air. Flare Blitz still would have heavy armor and still get ****ed by items/strong hurtboxes, Fly will still only have 10 frames of super armor and will still be vulnerable during the actual hurtboxes, and his jumps will be just as underwhelming as they always are.

No heavy is supposed to get something that good, even if the rest of their options fail to measure up to a majority of the cast's options.
Sooo, all heavies are supposed to have sub par options and slow aerial movement because they are heavy? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Look at smash 4 Ike. Good horizontal recovery, good vertical recovery, good frame data, and jumps don't automatically commit you to p much standing in place for 60 frames. And yet, Ike isn't OP.

That doesn't mean it won't necessarily break him in casual play though. And I'm not one to imply it will. I honestly don't know.
Casual play with charizard usually consists of side b. Not jumping.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
If King Dedede is in the game, then Charizard having a slightly better horizontal recovery is more than reasonable.
Not sure why you're using Dedede to talk about horizontal recovery (as his is pretty shaky) but whether or not Zard's recovery becomes broken with an airspeed buff is entirely a question of how much they would give him.
And I don't think just a little more airspeed is enough to fix his problem offensively. But that's always up for debate.
Fly, while having good armor, only has armor during the start up. Also, you can't grab at not full distance. If you are at the ledge when not full distance, you go above it.
Yes you can. This isn't Melee. There is a certain point right after startup where you can't grab it but you can certainly grab it well before you enter free-fall (ie. non-max distance).
Most projectiles won't clank with it unless it has a hurtbox, like Gyro or samus down b. Caping and Counter are super risky, and because the 2 hits, sometimes you will only counter the first hit, leaving you to get the full blitz worth of knockback. I've had this happen vs Ryukred's Shulk as well as a random Little Mac on FG. Caping also doesn't send that far since, if you need FB to recover, by the time you reach the stage you're already out of momentum or close to it. If anything, more aerial speed will make caping flare blitz more rewarding.
Most projectiles won't. Most projectile characters can make it clank if they know which one to use though. And not countering both hits is a super uncommon situation, if it occurs at all (counters get some invincibility on hit). Kuroganehammer doesn't even have a frame for hit 2. I can see why you would argue that it increases the risk but all it really does is put extra emphasis on the opponent not countering too early, which is really not that hard if you're playing offline and not accounting for lag (hopefully I understand this interaction correctly).
If you cape FB and it forces Zard to FB again Just cape it twice. Again, not super hard if you're playing offline. Cape Zard with no second jump and he's dead. And if you're out of momentum by the time you get done FBing, you're probably out of airjumps anyway so RIP.
Because a little aerial speed buff? its not like adding a little bit of aerial speed will suddenly make him move like Lucas. He will still be vulnerable in the air. Flare Blitz still would have heavy armor and still get ****ed by items/strong hurtboxes, Fly will still only have 10 frames of super armor and will still be vulnerable during the actual hurtboxes, and his jumps will be just as underwhelming as they always are.
If you want to read the first thing I wrote again:
"It depends how much better "better" airspeed is but lets say for argument's sake they make it as good as DK's"
Which isn't a little buff. That's a huge buff. This is also the hypothetical buff that got me talking about how broken Zard's recovery would be relative to other heavies. You don't need FB if you have DK's airspeed. You just need Fly. That's why his recovery would be broken. Non-max distance Fly on every recovery is too OP.
10 frames of armor is a ton. You meant to say hitboxes but I know what you mean. And his airjumps are really sucky. I'm with you on that one.
Sooo, all heavies are supposed to have sub par options and slow aerial movement because they are heavy?
All heavies are supposed to be somewhat gimpable (even if the rest of their options are bad) because they're heavies. They take the least WBKB in the game. So... no. That's not what I said.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Look at smash 4 Ike. Good horizontal recovery, good vertical recovery, good frame data, and jumps don't automatically commit you to p much standing in place for 60 frames. And yet, Ike isn't OP.
So for starters this isn't a fair comparison because Ike isn't even in Zard's weight class (albeit still close). I can see why you bring him up though as he's probably one of the only heavies with recoveries about as good as Zard's.
Ike is a balanced character. His recovery is just gimpable enough for a character of his weight (taking into account airspeed, specials and airjumps). Landing lag values are brilliant for a spacing character like him. Zard's landing lag values, especially that of Fair, are far less than ideal for a spacing character but would work fine if Zard dealt as much damage as Bowser (a bruiser). AC frame data leaves quite a bit to be desired for a bruiser but would work fine if the landing lag data looked more like that of a spacing character like Dedede.
and jumps don't automatically commit you to p much standing in place for 60 frames
Ike and Zard both have 7 frames of jumpsquat so uh... Read Kuroganehammer m8 c'mon.
Casual play with charizard usually consists of side b. Not jumping.
I think this oversimplifies a distinct perspective on Zard but I will neither agree or disagree with you here.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Not sure why you're using Dedede to talk about horizontal recovery (as his is pretty shaky) but whether or not Zard's recovery becomes broken with an airspeed buff is entirely a question of how much they would give him.
And I don't think just a little more airspeed is enough to fix his problem offensively. But that's always up for debate.
/QUOTE]
i was just emphasizing how dedede lives foooooreeeeeeveeerrrrr

edit:read the last line to see my answer. this quoting jank is getting glitchy..

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
edit:read the last line to see my answer. this quoting jank is getting glitchy..
Yea, special formatting on this site can be really weird at times.

Dedede living forever has a lot less to do with his recovery and a lot more to do with his weight and fall speed. Unless you hit him directly off the side, he's really hard to KO. That's just Dedede.

With that in mind, he can actually be gimped a lot sooner. He falls the 2nd fastest and his airspeed is 55th fastest so if you catch him with the right attack at around mid percent offstage and he's used some or all of his jumps, he's gone. His recovery is certainly less than perfect but the combination of his fall speed and weight make him a nightmare to kill off the top.

If anything is broken about Dedede, it's his weight and fall speed. Not his recovery.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Yea, special formatting on this site can be really weird at times.

Dedede living forever has a lot less to do with his recovery and a lot more to do with his weight and fall speed. Unless you hit him directly off the side, he's really hard to KO. That's just Dedede.

With that in mind, he can actually be gimped a lot sooner. He falls the 2nd fastest and his airspeed is 55th fastest so if you catch him with the right attack at around mid percent offstage and he's used some or all of his jumps, he's gone. His recovery is certainly less than perfect but the combination of his fall speed and weight make him a nightmare to kill off the top.

If anything is broken about Dedede, it's his weight and fall speed. Not his recovery.
4 jumps + super armor up b that travels 37283578457 miles is nothing to disregard either.

Top Bottom