• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.0.4 is coming but...

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The new patch is coming but.

Olimar even still good and balanced or whatever opinons.
We can most agreed that the pikmin A.I. are pretty bad here.
Random moonwalkin when they try to get you, They get stuck in the edge, Trying to Sync up with you and one of the worst... The Dthrow and Down Smash glitch that make your Pikmin 100% useless.

What changed you want for olimar in the upcoming patch and any future patch.

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's fine, he just needs to get bugs and Pikmin AI cleaned up.

Anything that's a buff would be well appreciated, but not exactly needed, imo. Do I have a wishlist? Not really. Anything could happen and I'm not really one to speculate on what buffs or nerfs will happen.

Tewks

Smash Rookie
Pikmin AI improvements are a must. Also, ghost Pikmin need to be removed (down throw to down smash). I also think the speed of the Pikmin should be increased. If Olimar is still seen as "bad" I can see them giving him a fourth Pikmin. Very unlikely, but it would give him better spacing.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
The reason Olimar is so stripped (Only three Pikmin, can't collect item, bad AI) is because the 3DS is simply not up to the task. Sakurai very clearly wanted no framerate dips in the game. This is why Pikmin and Assist Trophies always play at a jerky 30 FPS.

I'm sure Olimar, even 5 of them with item collecting, 60 FPS animations and perfect AI wouldn't lag the game. But I bet that 4 of them on screen at once would.

So Olimar had to trade a lot of his features in order to ensure the game did not lag. I guess that's an accepted risk when you're a character as complex as Olly.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
The reason Olimar is so stripped (Only three Pikmin, can't collect item, bad AI) is because the 3DS is simply not up to the task. Sakurai very clearly wanted no framerate dips in the game. This is why Pikmin and Assist Trophies always play at a jerky 30 FPS.

I'm sure Olimar, even 5 of them with item collecting, 60 FPS animations and perfect AI wouldn't lag the game. But I bet that 4 of them on screen at once would.

So Olimar had to trade a lot of his features in order to ensure the game did not lag. I guess that's an accepted risk when you're a character as complex as Olly.
30 FPS isn't "jerky" - it just looks that way, because despite the Pikmin themselves playing at 30 FPS, the Pikmin models actually animate at 10~15 FPS.
I've said it before, I'll say it again - if the whole game were in 30 FPS, we wouldn't be having these problems, and nobody would notice, unless they squinted their eyes. There's a reason that modern PC gaming is trending toward 90-110 FPS, and it's not because it's noticably smoother than 60, or even 30. It just sounds good to our ears, and the placebo effect is a powerful thing (how you thought that Pikmin animations play at 30 FPS, for example)

Think the graphical difference between Generation III and IV of Pokémon. Gen 3 plays at 60 FPS, Gen 4 at 30. Try and play them side-by-side and notice this - and see how hard it is to do so.

... I just want my CPP, OK? :(

But that's never going to happen, because lowering the frames, while unnoticable, will probably mess with button timings between 3DS and Wii U - in a fighter, that's a bad thing - and therefore I understand playable characters being pushed to 60 where there's otherwise no need. But do something about Pikmin AI - even if it's hardcoding them to never desync unless thrown or attacked.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGulnBaefAw

If it means anything, Maple Leaf mentions at 55:40 that Olimar's AI is no longer glitchy and unpredictable in the Wii U version. I'm not sure if the AI fix will be in the 3DS 1.0.4 Patch, but at the very least the Wii U AI should be serviceable.

Shadowmin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowmin
Non-AI or glitch-related, I'd like less lag at the end of up smash. Makes the move more useful (NOTE: I don't necessarily want the brawl up smash back (almost no lag, broken), I just want it to be sped up to be in between that and current).

Last edited:

2k6

Smash Cadet
Did it really buffed the side smash? I think it feels the same

EDIT: OMG IT DID GET BUFFED AND THE WHITE PIKMIN THROW CAN DEAL 40%? :O

Last edited:

2k6

Smash Cadet
It's longer range on non-Purples. (and I don't know what dds is)
how many damage does the white pikmin throw in 1.0.3? because now I can deal up to 40% but idk if this is the same. and yes all of his side smashes is buffed. There is a picture in reddit.

RestlessBob

Smash Rookie
how many damage does the white pikmin throw in 1.0.3? because now I can deal up to 40% but idk if this is the same. and yes all of his side smashes is buffed. There is a picture in reddit.
20% total and 2 ~ 3% per hit according to a guy on reddit. Really nice buff there I have to say.

2k6

Smash Cadet
Yes! I was shocked when I throwed the white pikmin it deals 40% I was like wtf? was that normal? I thought I was using the custom side B but tried it again it really does 40% to anyone at 0%!

Top Bottom