• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Stage Analysis

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
It's about time we quit with the theory crafting and start analyzing what we know. Smash 3DS has a noticeably small stage roster, and plenty of its stages are seemingly unfitting for a tournament setting. Rather than being quick with the ban-hammer, however, it's important that we analyze and discuss each stage in full. This thread will be dedicated to discussing the viability of the Paper Mario stage and its unique hazards. I exhort everyone to allow separate threads for each stage, since there is a ton to go over. The debate on what constitutes a stage ban where general mechanics are concerned should continue to be argued here.

Credit for the above images and video goes to GameXplain.
First Area: Windy Hills

Our first part of the stage has two primary platforms, the leftmost (which we'll call the base) being wider and lower than the rightmost (which we'll call the hill). The base has a walk-off on its left side and runs into the hill, which has solid walls on either side as well as a ledge on its right. Hanging above the base is a single cloud platform that dangles. Sitting directly on top the hill is a pipe, which is solid and stationary, and a windmill, which has four rotatable platforms.

After 20 seconds a giant fan will spawn from behind the stage and start blowing air for roughly 10 seconds. The wind pushes all fighters toward the right of the stage with considerable strength. The windmill will be spinning for this duration, and although fighters can still be moved by its spinning platforms, it won't cause any damage. The cloud platform will also be blown past the right blast zone. After this, the fan disappears, the cloud dangles from the sky again, and the stage remains static for the next 15 seconds until we make our first transition.

Credit for the above images goes to GameXplain and ParanoidDrone.
Second Area: Ship at Sea

The primary ground here is the ship's deck, which is comparable to Final Destination in width and has ledges on both sides. Its stern and bow are raised, forming a concave of sorts. Three masts provide three platforms that resemble Battlefield's own, albeit slightly higher and disjointed. After about 10 seconds, waves will start crashing into the boat. Although they don't interact with the players in the slightest, they will teeter the ship back and forth, and some waves may get in front of the camera's view of the players.

Roughly 25 seconds later, either a giant squid (Blooper) or a giant whale will spawn:
  • Blooper will rock the ship back and forth, generating more waves. Unsure how long this hazard in particular lasts--presumably 10 seconds to match the whale. Will update as soon as I learn more.
  • The whale will burst water from its blowhole, raising the ship up and bouncing it moderately for about 10 seconds. This puts all players closer to the above blast zone, making top kills easier and recovery from below more difficult.
Immediately following this, we make our second transition.

Credit for the above images goes to GameXplain.
Third Area: Bowser's Castle

Two platforms on both sides of the stage that move up and down and one Bowser head in the center. The platforms have ledges, whereas the Bowser head does not. Bowser's snout and mouth can be walked on, the latter being considerably cramped. There are flames in the background, but they have no impact on the players. Bowser's jaw may or may not slam shut before opening again, presumably damaging players. After about 10 seconds, Bowser's head will rotate near 80 degree. 5 seconds after that, another rotation, this time around 55 degrees. And 8 seconds after that, a final rotation, completing the 360 twirl. From what I can tell, Bowser's statue will follow this exact pattern for every match.

And immediately following this, we make our final transition back to Windy Hills for a full loop. Each transition takes about 5 seconds to complete. For that duration, both sides of the stage become walk-offs. This means that 1 full minute out of each loop incorporates walk-offs, where each loop takes 2 minutes and 35 seconds total to complete. It's important to note that 45 seconds of that minute host a walk-off on only one side of the stage, and of those 45 seconds, 10 seconds are spent making sure blast-camping is ineffective through use of the wind.

Those are all the details that I can think to highlight. If I'm missing anything, please make a detailed post so I can keep us all updated. I might need help finding screens or video of Blooper's interactions during the second transition. I will make my own personal comments and arguments in later posts to keep the thread opener as unbiased as I can. The question to keep in mind is this: Can this stage properly determine the better player?

If you guys have more videos of this stage in action, please either PM me the link or post it here! That'll help us observe the interaction between the stage and players.

Videos
Stage Tips
  • Watch out for the gigantic fan on the part of the stage that is on land. It's much easier to be launched to the right when it spins!
  • A Big Blooper will appear on the ocean stage. Don't worry--it won't attack. It will rock the ship though, generating some waves.
  • Bowser's metal face will appear and spin in the sky. If his eyes turn red, it's a good time to run!

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A few details I've noticed from streams and other sources:

The Blooper in stage 2 does nothing except make some rougher waves that rock the boat a bit. This is one of the ingame tips in the demo, which explicitly says Blooper does not attack the players. (No photographic proof, sorry.) I got lucky and the tip came up again after a few minutes.

The moving platforms in stage 3, on either side of the Bowser head, have grabbable sides.

The Bowser head in stage 3 sometimes shuts its jaw before eventually re-opening and starting the rotation process. I've only seen this happen once, so it's not guaranteed.

Last edited:

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
Thanks! Details added to the OP. Do you remember any details about Bowser's jaw shutting regarding damage/knockback to the players? Or does it instantly kill players caught in the bite?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Thanks! Details added to the OP. Do you remember any details about Bowser's jaw shutting regarding damage/knockback to the players? Or does it instantly kill players caught in the bite?
No one got caught in it, so no details there, sorry. (You may want to edit the reference to Blooper in your last paragraph, too.)

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I think this stage has the potential to be competitive, but were going to need to see some matches on it to really see how everything effects the players.

Raijinken

Smash Master
My greatest concern is the fan, actually, but I hadn't considered that the fan functions as a deterrant from camping the walkoff.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I had nothing better to do so I mashed my way through the tips in the demo and made note of any that talked about the stages. There's something resembling a pattern (a long list of fighter-specific tips keeps showing up eventually, did you know WFT's usmash has invincibility frames?) so I'm reasonably sure that I didn't miss any, although of course I can't discount the possibility completely.

For Paper Mario, the game offers the following tips:
  • Watch out for the gigantic fan on the part of the stage that is on land. It's much easier to be launched to the right when it spins!
  • A Big Blooper will appear on the ocean stage. Don't worry--it won't attack. It will rock the ship though, generating some waves.
  • Bowser's metal face will appear and spin in the sky. If his eyes turn red, it's a good time to run!

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
I think this stage has the potential to be competitive, but were going to need to see some matches on it to really see how everything effects the players.
I'm hunting for more videos to add to the OP other than the one already included (in the quotes w/ screens). Now that the game is released in Japan, we'll be starting to see more and more footage of each stage. If you guys want to post videos of Paper Mario stage here or PM me a link, I'll add them all to a list in the OP. But yeah, we've got the means already for a full-fledged discussion. Just gotta do some dirty work first. I'll get on that.

My greatest concern is the fan, actually, but I hadn't considered that the fan functions as a deterrant from camping the walkoff.
Seeing as the fan is both telegraphed and short in duration, I don't suspect it will cause too much of an issue. It's much stronger than the wind in Dream Land but also not as persistent. The direction of the wind is also consistently to the right, which helps players to plan ahead and take necessary precautions. Considering that most matches end around the four minute mark, we'd see the fan twice a match on average. That's 20 seconds of wind, which is roughly 8% of the average length of a match.

The ocean area of this stage seems to be the most balanced. None of its gimmicks really cause much intrusion or distraction, unless Blooper rocks the ship much more violently that I'd presume.

Bowser's statue in particular worries me the most. I could predict that players will be prone to camp on the platforms and stall until the next transition, since it'd be pretty risky closing in on such a huge gap without ledges to grab on a spinning head. The video in the OP shows a little taste of this, as the CPUs suicide left and right during those moments, and even the player (Bowser) has trouble landing his feet. It's difficult to tell how differently a 1v1 scenario would perform without footage.

For Paper Mario, the game offers the following tips:
Very cool. I'll add these to the OP as well. They'll serve as nice bits of trivia if nothing else. :)

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The walk-off is a bit of a concern to me because it is around for quite a bit (although the fan really helps to alleviate the issue).

The boat transformation is literally perfect (if it was its own stage I think we'd be looking at another legal stage).

The layout on Bowser's Castle is the most concerning to me as there isn't a lot of room to do any fighting, especially with the rotating head.

Top Bottom