• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's Shield

CryogenicTyrant

Smash Rookie
Palutena's shield is invincible, much like Link's hylian shield except her's blocks physical and projectile moves. While Palutena does not have it raised like Link in her neutral stance, however she raises it with her dash attack making it impossible for certain characters such as Little Mac to counter and hit her, in fact when Little Mac counters it (with most cases) he is more open and punishable than Palutena. It is not however only effective when she uses her dash attack, it halts attacks in her back air or even in neutral position. However these are extremely rare to block attacks and it isn't the most useful but it can happen.

What experiences have you had with Palutena's Shield or what are your thoughts?

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
It's a godsend against characters with disjointed aerials, or a better aerial game in general (Jigglypuff, Diddy, etc). On the ground, it's one of the best ways to punish landings that isn't a grab. A quick aerial can beat grabs (and a shieldgrab might result in improper spacing) but a dash attack will completely ignore it and launch them up again.

It's also worth noting bair is a kill move of moderate power. Not as strong as, say, Captain Falcon's bair, but you can sort of use it as a pseudo-counter to KO.

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
There have been many instances where my opponent used counter, like Shulk, and I dashed and nothing happened because of Palu's invincibility. It's pretty neat. I've been incorporating back airs much more now and they've saved me countless times. Dash attacks I've been a little more careful to use because of the lag, though it's useful at times (i.e. d-throw, AR, opponent air dodges, and now I have a perfect time to punish by using my dash attack).

Macarena of Time

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wahnder
From what I've seen, her Bair can even beat Sheik's Bouncing Fish. It's a great move to hit someone hanging from the ledge without invincibility.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I love the pure anger from people who don't know when I use my shield to block an attack

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Lady Palutenas shield can even block finalsmashes like Lucinas, Marths, Ganondorfs, Bowsers and more.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Does her shield actually function in neutral? I've never seen it block anything like that. Is there an easy to replicate test for it?

Dash attack is actually just fully invincible to my knowledge. Palutena can dive into smart bomb explosions and will even block attacks that hit her back:

I used to think bair was like that too, but upon further evaluation whenever it blocks frontal hits it seems to be because the shield starts in front of her during the move, and things that hit her feet still seem to win always.

Last edited:

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
Does her shield actually function in neutral? I've never seen it block anything like that. Is there an easy to replicate test for it?

Dash attack is actually just fully invincible to my knowledge. Palutena can dive into smart bomb explosions and will even block attacks that hit her back:

I used to think bair was like that too, but upon further evaluation whenever it blocks frontal hits it seems to be because the shield starts in front of her during the move, and things that hit her feet still seem to win always.
Neat! I didn't know her dash attack was full invincibility.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I didn't know it too xD But usefull info!

Does it mean her dash attack is betther than bair for protect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom