• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's options (default only)

What is the worst move in the Palu

• F-tilt

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Counter

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Hello it's been awhile. This thread will go through all of Palutena's moves and uses and I will give a personal rank X/10 as I go through the list of moves.

Move list:
  • Jab/ rapid jab/ jab finisher
  • Down tilt
  • *Forward tilt
  • Up tilt
  • F-smash
  • D-smash
  • U-smash
  • Forward throw
  • Up throw
  • Down throw
  • Back throw
  • Nair
  • Fair
  • Uair
  • Bair
  • AR (autoreticule)
  • Warp
  • Reflect
  • *Counter
If a move has a star next to it then that move(s) are the worst of the worst and I'll probably score 5 or 5<.

Jab:
Ahh~ Palutena's best grounded friend. Jab is imo Palutena's best move on the ground. It's very disjointed not to mention safe on shield, sets up for grabs, and even kill confirms into nair at high %s. However it is very slow compared to most jabs sitting at 3rd slowest at frame 8. It can also blind spot at point blank range and some characters that are small or have good couches like Kirby can easily low profile the move to avoid it. Overall the strengths of jab heavily outweigh it's weakness and because of that I rank jab a 8.5

Rapid jab/ jab finisher:
If you're a Palutena main you probably forgot these existed since jab 1 is so good, but that's not to say rapid jab/ finisher is bad. Rapid jab is a very~os ish move. There's almost no reason to go for it over jab to grab, however it can be used as a pretty good option select. A pretty good use for rapid jab is to catch opponents who catch on to your jab poking, since Palutena mains tend to poke at the shield with jab 1 opponents won't expect you to continue rapid jabbing which punishes early shield drops. Rapid jab can also catch normal getup at the ledge and even beat some ledge attacks because of how disjointed the move is and even beat some drop down ledge attacks such as Sheik drop of ledge > fair. It should also be noted that at ~150% at the ledge rapid jab > jab finisher is a strong kill confirm on a majority of the cast. All moves are not without flaws however jab finisher has some of the highest lag in the game of all rapid jabs (smash attacks worth actually) so doing a rapid jab at the wrong time could actually lead to you losing a stock. Since the rapid jab is an OS and only an OS it is only a 6, but because it can lead to KOs on unsuspecting opponents and because it's still decently disjointed I rate it a 7.

Down tilt:
Down tilt is in a very odd place. It's definitely not bad but it's not exactly good either. Down tilt is a bait move if I've ever seen one. It has high start up of 14 frames, but has some of the lowest lag of all of her moves. Down tilt can catch normal getup and if spaced correctly ledge roll. It's a kill move at the ledge at high % and can catch 2 frame. It can also hit opponents off of the ledge, but it pops the opponent up instead of away which hurts this move. This move despite it's range and low cool down it's still unsafe because of high startup so it can't be used for poking, but since it can catch 2 frame and KO at the ledge I'll sit it at 7

Forward tilt:

Forward tilt it the equivalent of "that guy" at least when it comes to moves. When you accidentally don't tap the analog stick fast enough for pivot F-smash: forward tilt, when you read your opponent's roll backward so you go for a pivot grab, but you didn't input grab fast enough: forward tilt, when you're on a platform and you want to do a fall through fair, but you don't fall through the platform on accident: forward tilt. When you use forward tilt 99.9999999% of the time it's a misimput. This move has 2 uses: catch rolls and spot dodges, and down tilt, jab/ rapid jab, and up tilt BY FAR do a better jab at this literally making this move next to useless. Frame 17 and a FAF of 67 pretty much makes this a worse F-smash, the move cannot connect properly on all the cast, can DI the first hit so you don't get hit by the second hit, can be SDI out of at insanely low %s (ex: Cloud at 47%), unsafe on hit at pretty much 40% and lower, 40%+ is when this move stops connecting property on most characters, has a blind spot at point blank range, the fact that the move doesn't rebound hurt more times than not since you're forced to wait for the lag, too slow to wall. This move is an 100% 1

Up tilt:
Nothing sounds more satisfying than landing a down tilt honestly makes me wish I could use it more. Up tilt is arguably Palutena's best tilt seeing how it can KO and a reasonable %, catch several ledge options, one of the best anti airs/ landing tools in the game, can be used to start combos at low %s, and comes out reasonably quick. However the main issue with up tilt is it is very easily low profiled because of the hitbox placement and like most moves in Palutena's arsenal has a great deal of lag, but that's about as far as the negatives go it really is a good move so I score it a very solid 8.5

F-smash:
Now if I could call any of Palutena's moves underrated it would definitely be f-smash. Palutena players rarely use smash attacks but that's because if you miss that can mean death and when it comes to lag f-smash has got plenty of it as well as a small hitbox that some characters namely Pikachu, WFT, Kirby can easily low profile. Those are the negatives but let's go into the positives. F-smash is basically the opposite of Corrin with a strong inside and weaker tip, but like Corrin Palutena's F-smash has so much range that it can catch roll backward which is pretty damn cool. It also has a windbox which is much stronger than side b and bigger. Windbox included this f-smash covers almost if not 1/4 of FD. F-smash can ruin punishes, gimp with it's large windbox, catch rolls, ruin recoveries, catch landings, and can cover neutral AND roll if spaced properly. In theory this move would be a 9.5 but it's lag is so bad that I have to knock it down to a 8.5

D-smash:
Oh down smash how I wish you were better. With a such a big move and a windbox and covering BOTH sides you would think it would be better than F-smash, but sadly that's not the case. Down smash is know for having an absurd amount of lag sitting at FAF 72. Not only is the lag bad but the hitbox is even smaller than f-smash and it doesn't even cover the tips. Ever had a really cheap electric fan that even when you put it up to level 3 it's less satisfying than a breeze? If not the look no further than d-smash's windbox also the worst windbox in the game and doesn't in the slightest help the lag program the move has. Not all is bad with this move however like Marcina the insides and tip of the wings share 2 different angles of launch inside being ~50° and tip being horizontal meaning the move in itself is a DI mixup which can lead to very early KOs at the ledge, and it can also catch ledge roll and neutral getup, but that's about all this move has going for it. 6 negatives > 2 positives there's no way this move could reach above a 4 since other moves do what it does much better.

Last edited:

snook

Smash Apprentice
Nice read, always good to see other Palu players opinions on her moveset.
Will be nice to see your analysis on her aerials.
Hope to see you continue it soon.

Also yeah f tilt sucks lol.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I strongly feel like Palu's f-smash is underutilized against opponents near ledges (or opponents landing near ledges). If you know that they will not shield in a situation where you are relatively close to them and they will not shield, you can push them off the ledge with a f-smash.

It is a decent mix up that can catch your opponent offguard. Very useful against fast fallers, since they'll have a harder time getting back onto the stage.

snook

Smash Apprentice
I strongly feel like Palu's f-smash is underutilized against opponents near ledges (or opponents landing near ledges). If you know that they will not shield in a situation where you are relatively close to them and they will not shield, you can push them off the ledge with a f-smash.

It is a decent mix up that can catch your opponent offguard. Very useful against fast fallers, since they'll have a harder time getting back onto the stage.
It is underutilized but also quite a big commitment so understandable why people might not use it as much rather than going for say a grab or something else relatively safe.

I do believe that it can be extremely good on smashvile though (one of her best stages imo for a few reasons) when tech chasing on the platform if it's near the ledge.
When spaced correctly at mid percents, f-throw can perfectly line up a tech situation onto the platform approaching the sides of the stage. If you have quick reactions you can get the the platform just as they're landing, and f-smash will cover both roll away and standard get-up if spaced correctly, this can even lead to a kill as low as 50% on most characters.
It's pretty situational but I find myself getting into this position frequently as the perfect distance for the f-throw to tech chase is around the same as max teleport length to ledge (for easy ledge cancels without shortening.)

But yeah I agree with what you said using it at the ledge but I'd still use it rarely.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I find d-tilt to be a rather useful tool against a lot of characters. It's a good attack that is safe on shield and has a long reach. It deals a decent amount of damage and sometimes pops opponents upwards, too (and it's easy for Palu to react to this for the most part). It also sometimes snuffs out some annoying projectiles like PK Fire and Mario's fireball. Of course, it being disjointed helps a lot, too. Funnily enough, it also makes Palutena lean down a lot, which can help her avoid some aerial attacks. Not to mention, as mentioned before, it ends faster than a lot people think. Deceptively faster.

The only drawback of this move is that it only covers the ground and still loses to other aerial attacks, such as Sheik's short-hop f-air. I wouldn't use it too much on players/characters who can rely heavily on very-quick aerial approaches. D-tilt is definitely questionable in a few MUs.

Overall, though, I feel like Palu's d-tilt is a great tool that is very underrated. It deserves more love.

Top Bottom