• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's Gimmick/Special Move Mechanics?

Levusti

Smash Rookie
On the Official Smash Bros. Website, you can read this on the Character Creation Article:

Smash Bros. Website said:
"Each fighter possesses four special attacks; standard special, side special, up special, and down special. Each of these can be customized, however, so there are three variations for each direction. This means there are two classifications for special attacks: basic and custom.

However, Mii Fighters and Palutena don't have spin-off variations, but rather completely unique types of attacks."
And from what I see ('cause I haven't been stalking you guise for a long time now, psh...what gave you that idea?), most people seem to think where it's selection of a few different attacks.

But for some reason I feel like Palutena is kinda like...reverse Lucario/Project M Lucario, where attacks change depending upon performance. I dunno, I only say that because her insignia flashes on a handful of moves in the trailer, and she is seen walking, then running, then floating. Which makes me feel like she is really gaining new powers the better she performs.

Anyone else feel this way? :3

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I think she certainly brings something new to the table, which every new fighter seems to need to. Every.Single.One.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think she works the way you described, but it could be an interesting gimmick, as well as a very annoying one. I think she is just like the Miis and I appreciate her moveset gimmick, for one simple reason: It will be hard to get tired of using her, since she has various moveset possibilities. She is kind of like... a Pokémon. lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
One must ask; why IS this her gimmick? Because she is a goddess and has so many options? It seems like a huge stretch to get a gimmick into her.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's a reference to the customization capabilities in Kid Icarus Uprising, in which you choose which Powers (and their level) and weapon (which has different modifiers) to use before starting a chapter, along with difficulty level. I actually like this since it gives Palutena much more variety, and that you can choose a style that fits you by choosing which of those 12 moves you want.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Cool; yet, like all the customizations, there must be a base Palutena, meaning, the one tournament legal one whereas the others are not- the one you play online with

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, first we need to figure out which of the moves are her main ones, figure out how effective the other moves are, then fan out from there. I really hope her stuff won't be banned, or it'd take out some of her uniqueness. D:

jigglover

Smash Lord
It's a reference to the customization capabilities in Kid Icarus Uprising, in which you choose which Powers (and their level) and weapon (which has different modifiers) to use before starting a chapter, along with difficulty level. I actually like this since it gives Palutena much more variety, and that you can choose a style that fits you by choosing which of those 12 moves you want.
Hmm... I don't think so. A huge amount of games (Mario, Pokémon and Earthbound just came into my head) have you customizing your weaponry/power-ups/party before heading into a battle, starting a stage or a chapter. I really feel as if Sakurai put it in there "just because" and that's it. Every single character in this game has to be unique and original as far as Sakurai is concerned apparently, and this is the best he could do with Palutena.

...Except... Well what do WFT and Mega Man do? You know, that's unique? Maybe it's not every character, but Sakurai is certainly making the majority of them unique, so yeah I would say she has these "just because".

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hmm... I don't think so. A huge amount of games (Mario, Pokémon and Earthbound just came into my head) have you customizing your weaponry/power-ups/party before heading into a battle, starting a stage or a chapter. I really feel as if Sakurai put it in there "just because" and that's it. Every single character in this game has to be unique and original as far as Sakurai is concerned apparently, and this is the best he could do with Palutena.

...Except... Well what do WFT and Mega Man do? You know, that's unique? Maybe it's not every character, but Sakurai is certainly making the majority of them unique, so yeah I would say she has these "just because".
But many of the characters you named don't need customization to have a moveset. Palutena doesn't either, but it fits her well. Not complaints here.
I rather not talk about the others.

jigglover

Smash Lord
But many of the characters you named don't need customization to have a moveset. Palutena doesn't either, but it fits her well. Not complaints here.
I rather not talk about the others.
Really? A lot of the moves that Palutena has (all of them?) aren't from the games. Not from Kid Icarus: Uprising, anyway. Ness/Lucas/Some other Earthbound character with 12 PK attacks to choose from would actually be the greatest thing ever, and while not all of them would be "their's" Sakurai clearly doesn't care about giving PK moves to their owners in smash, since I don't believe PK Starstorm belonged to either of them in Earthbound. Palutena would be much better with a normal 4 specials moveset than Earthbound now that they "went there" lol. Pokémon also have many moves to choose from in their series, and even Yoshi could do something with all the babies having a few attacks each for him to flick through. Zelda or Sheik could use more magical spells from the LoZ series, Villager has more material he could use from the games such as the Fishing Rod, Mega Man has a lots of powerups along with Mario, Toon Link and Link have many items from the LoZ games, and Samus has a lot of utilities associated with her power suit afaik.

Basically, out of the majority of the characters on the roster, Palutena was one of the worst choices to have this particular niche. I am honestly a huge fan of the gimmick, though, and it will probably make me play as Palutena, but while I am I will always have the feeling of "[insert character here out of above list] would be better".

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
If there is gonna be a base Palutena, I also hope there are base Mii fighters. Since everyone is dooming them banned already because of all their possible movesets. And in that case, Palutena could fall in the same problem.
Also I wonder if CPU Palutena/Mii Fighters will have their movesets randomized if there is no default set.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Really? A lot of the moves that Palutena has (all of them?) aren't from the games. Not from Kid Icarus: Uprising, anyway. Ness/Lucas/Some other Earthbound character with 12 PK attacks to choose from would actually be the greatest thing ever, and while not all of them would be "their's" Sakurai clearly doesn't care about giving PK moves to their owners in smash, since I don't believe PK Starstorm belonged to either of them in Earthbound. Palutena would be much better with a normal 4 specials moveset than Earthbound now that they "went there" lol. Pokémon also have many moves to choose from in their series, and even Yoshi could do something with all the babies having a few attacks each for him to flick through. Zelda or Sheik could use more magical spells from the LoZ series, Villager has more material he could use from the games such as the Fishing Rod, Mega Man has a lots of powerups along with Mario, Toon Link and Link have many items from the LoZ games, and Samus has a lot of utilities associated with her power suit afaik.

Basically, out of the majority of the characters on the roster, Palutena was one of the worst choices to have this particular niche. I am honestly a huge fan of the gimmick, though, and it will probably make me play as Palutena, but while I am I will always have the feeling of "[insert character here out of above list] would be better".
Every Power shown (the moves she named) are from Kid Icarus Uprising, and so is that light pillar against DK. Some staff attacks and the wings are not from the game.
I rather not talk about the rest.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Every Power shown (the moves she named) are from Kid Icarus Uprising, and so is that light pillar against DK. Some staff attacks and the wings are not from the game.
I rather not talk about the rest.
Oh right, I'm sorry, I actually completely get this now. I forgot entirely about the "Powers" in Kid Icarus: Uprising since I really didn't use the majority of offensive ones, I more just boosted speed and strength etc.. I suppose it is pretty great that Palutena got to use those then, although if I didn't get the reference I'm not sure what a good decision it was. It's a bit minor though.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
My thinking was that, since Palutena doesn't have a set of iconic moves really, and she had so much potential, they couldn't really decide on a single moveset maybe? Her specials being different KI:U items kinda makes sense. I'm glad that all of her normal moves are fitting things like staff/shield attacks, light, and angel wings

Top Bottom