• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's Counter - Need Advice Regarding Hitboxes

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
I've seemed to notice that Palutena's Counter only really works if you're hit from the side... it seems as though if you receive an attack directly above or below, you don't counter...? Is this true?

Does anyone have any answers? Thanks!

***I've been wondering this for a while, so if anyone could answer my question, I'd really appreciate it! I'm referring to the activation of Palutena's counter, and not her hitboxes from when it reacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I just did a couple of tests, and it looks like she is able to counter attacks from below her. Since I didn't have anybody else to help me out, I had to use a computer, so I wasn't able to test attacks from above and my results may not be accurate. I believe Palutena is able to counter attacks from both directions, but if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

I believe I have also read somewhere that Palutena's counter has slightly more startup frames than most other counters, so if you use another character with a counter, you may be mistiming it in those situations.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
I read about her Counter in the Smash Bros Guidebook. I'll try to remember to look up the details again when I get the chance.

Ok so I read about her counter in the Smash Bros Guidebook... I'll quote the different sections that they mention it.

"Palutena raises her staff and shield to counter incoming attacks before retaliating with her staff. This counter has good range. Palutena is invincible during her retaliation."

"Palutena's Counter is her next defensive tool, returning damage stronger than it was originally dished out. As a bonus, it also attacks in the correct direction, so use this in the air or against opponents behind you."

Startup: 10th frame
Duration: 22 frames
Damage Scaling: 1.3x
Min Damage: 10%
Max Damage: 50%

In comparison to some other Counters in the game (like Marth and Lucina), her Counter's damage scaling is higher. Marth and Lucina have 1.2x, but their startup is earlier (I think it was 6th frame).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's some extra info from this site: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Counter_(Palutena)

"It will One-hit KO anyone, if she managed to counter an attack that deals at least 40% damage." I don't know if this is true, but it's interesting.

"Despite one of the ingame tips mentioning that 'her counter covers a surprisingly long range', Palutena's counter has ironically one of the lowest reaches out of all counterattacks-- only the Mii Swordfighter's Blade Countercovers less range."

Last edited by a moderator:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I read about her counter in the Smash Bros Guidebook... I'll quote the different sections that they mention it.

"Palutena raises her staff and shield to counter incoming attacks before retaliating with her staff. This counter has good range. Palutena is invincible during her retaliation."

"Palutena's Counter is her next defensive tool, returning damage stronger than it was originally dished out. As a bonus, it also attacks in the correct direction, so use this in the air or against opponents behind you."

Startup: 10th frame
Duration: 22 frames
Damage Scaling: 1.3x
Min Damage: 10%
Max Damage: 50%

In comparison to some other Counters in the game (like Marth and Lucina), her Counter's damage scaling is higher. Marth and Lucina have 1.2x, but their startup is earlier (I think it was 6th frame).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's some extra info from this site: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Counter_(Palutena)

"It will One-hit KO anyone, if she managed to counter an attack that deals at least 40% damage."

"Despite one of the ingame tips mentioning that 'her counter covers a surprisingly long range', Palutena's counter has ironically one of the lowest reaches out of all counterattacks-- only the Mii Swordfighter's Blade Countercovers less range."
What guidebook did you buy? It looks interesting :)

Top Bottom