• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena viability?

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I am unaware if this should be posted in the character specific discussion site or it's proper to have it here but I'd like to know your ideas/impressions on Palutena's viability.
I've hardly seen any videos of her or any form of major breakthrough information, but she looks fantastic to play.

Raijinken

Smash Master
She looks fun, has a meteor, has good range and multihits, etc. She may have issues with rushdown playstyles, but that's how all zoner characters should play.

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
We need to stop these viability threads guys, that's why we have character sub-forums! On topic: Palutena seems powerful but slow... To me she seems great, not top tier, but good nonetheless (but I may be a little biased)!

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
We need to stop these viability threads guys, that's why we have character sub-forums! On topic: Palutena seems powerful but slow... To me she seems great, not top tier, but good nonetheless (but I may be a little biased)!
Understood.
It'd be nice if a mod were to lock the thread.
Sorry, I'm not that savvy with the forum layout yet as I just joined a week or two ago.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
I've really enjoyed playing Palutena, but my initial impressions are that unless custom moves are allowed, she won't be viable, and even if they are, it's still going to be rough.

Her spacing tools are pretty alright, but if opponents get inside, she has too much trouble. I feel like Palutena would be a beast in Brawl, and if this metagame evolves like that, she could be really effective. But, if it turns into a more offensive game, she won't be able to compete. She just needs better tools for getting rid of an opponent that gets inside.

Course, it's only been like... a day, so opinions can chance.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, I am a bit disappointed in her default setup. Having both a reflector/wall AND a counter is a bit much. I'd prefer one or the other, but not both. Defensive play may be good, but too defensive for my taste

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
Her jab is the best thing in close quarters. As for viability, I'm putting the work in to make her work.
Well, good luck with that. She's a really fun character, and I'd love to see her at high level play. If custom moves are allowed, I think things may be different. Heavenly light can be hugely helpful on more vertical stages, and lightweight can be a big asset. Also some need stuff that can be done with super speed.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Most people say this about bad characters...
That's certainly true later in a game's lifespan, but at the moment we really have very little idea about what makes each character work (outside of obvious ones like Bowser, and even then their metagames will likely evolve)

So at this point, there's at least potential

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I think her most viable moveset is:

B: Explosive Flare (Not really a fan of any of them, this is the least "meh" for me tho)
Side B: Super Speed (Ridiculous mobility when combined with Up B)
Up B: Jump Glide (Can act as an easier short hop and can go under some stages with Side B)
Down B: Celestial Firework (the invincibility frames are great, really good anti air)

Of coarse, this doesn't matter at all if custom aren't allowed in competitive.Maybe they can make an exception for Palutena?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I think her most viable moveset is:

B: Explosive Flare (Not really a fan of any of them, this is the least "meh" for me tho)
Side B: Super Speed (Ridiculous mobility when combined with Up B)
Up B: Jump Glide (Can act as an easier short hop and can go under some stages with Side B)
Down B: Celestial Firework (the invincibility frames are great, really good anti air)

Of coarse, this doesn't matter at all if custom aren't allowed in competitive.Maybe they can make an exception for Palutena?
From what I've seen, custom moves are looking really likely to be allowed competitively. The only real argument I see anymore is that they could take too long to set up, but since they're really fast to switch around (though granted not to unlock) they're probably going to be standard.

Hong

The Strongest
From what I've seen, custom moves are looking really likely to be allowed competitively. The only real argument I see anymore is that they could take too long to set up, but since they're really fast to switch around (though granted not to unlock) they're probably going to be standard.
Indeed. Right now we're honestly more concerned about how they'll be handled on the Wii U version. If we can set it up on the character selection screen, it should be fine.

Top Bottom