• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena D-air KO confirm?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I think I found a very situational KO confirm off a D-air on a grounded enemy, but I'm unsure if it's an actual confirm or not. It works insanely often for me (and early) when I hit the D-air, but it's not a combo, so it may be just because my opponents are bad. lol

You D-air the opponent backwards offstage with a fullhop, and follow with a (usually fast falled) N-air that stage spikes (You have to fall directly vertical off the stage then pull back so you knock them against the underside of the stage.). You can follow with a footstool, or in the rare case you need to, another D-air for an SD KO, but again, I have no idea how effective this actually is in the first place - or if it's just for style.

It doesn't work on stages with walled ledges like Omega Boxing Ring since there needs to be a stage spike, that should be clarified. I think it may also be possible to tech most of the time, which is another reason I worry if this works well or not.

There's some %s and distances that I kept getting though that looked like they forced a 2-frame unless my opponent did specific get-out options, which makes me wonder if there's a confirmable version at very specific %s.

Can someone maybe back up my labbing a bit to see if this is a legit thing? It can work on Mario and Cloud at ~40% and ZSS and Sheik at ~30% (You might have to D-air Sheik again though at certain %s, or she can recover.).

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing how this is going to play out. Can you make a gif or a visual example?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
It sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing how this is going to play out. Can you make a gif or a visual example?
Sorry, I'm mostly a dirty 3DScrub so it's unfortunately difficult for me to get/show visuals. :nervous:

I could maybe get a 3DS replay but other than that it would be pretty hard for me.

Again, if I was on Wii U, I could probably lab this a little more thoroughly and maybe give examples if it does work and when, but right now, I'm just stuck with the tools I've got, so I was hoping someone could maybe take deeper looks into it.

I did as much labbing as I can, and it's honestly starting to look like it's mostly a mix-up. But a N-air follow-up from a full-hop D-air will KO if it hits and can stage spike (N-air can drag opponents under the stage and bounce them against it. Full-hop D-air places them really nicely for this.).

There are probably more optimal ways to set up for a N-air Stage Spike, but Full-Hop D-air seems like the most reliable, just because you can do it OoS. D-air to N-air has optimal %s to basically limit the amount of frames the opponent can act between them, and using this as a mix-up might be something that can win you the game because it just KOs so early. I speak from experience.

The only thing is that I worry top players could just see the opening between D-air and N-air and take it to get out 100% of the time. Again, I've had luck with it, but I'm not exactly facing top players.

Sorry again I can't get visuals.:c

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
So is it something FC dair > nair?
I toyed with FC D-air into runoff N-air, but obviously you can't just do that OoS, it's also a decent amount harder technically to pull off. Ultimately if you want to FC something into N-air, F-air or B-air are likely far better for FCing into a N-air set-up anyway.

The way I've been doing it is literally just to fullhop and D-air them towards the ledge as I go up and N-air on the way down. You have to be pretty close to them at the start, but that's about it, there's nothing like FCing involved. It's far from a clean combo - I'm starting to think it's not really a combo at all - but when done right, I think you can actually force a frame trap on some characters because I've had a lot of players just struggle to get out of this for what seems like no good reason. It hits them incredibly close low to the ledge, so I think it has something to do with that, but otherwise I have no certain theories.

The more I look into it though, the more I feel like this is just a style option, or at least a lot more situational than I first thought (Character specific, stage specific, specific %s and positions, etc.) - it's also looking less than practical when I look at and calculate things like frame data, but I don't think frame data is the whole story, as with most of Smash - I was hoping for a seasoned Palu player/labber's own analysis on if this was a thing or not since I was hitting it so often, and still am hitting it (Hence the title being a question and not a blunt "this works" statement.), but I seem to be answering a lot of my own questions.

Regardless, I'll still keep using it as long as it's working for me, I don't think I particularly need a breakdown on why it's working so often as long as it does. lol

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
I think I see what you're saying; Drifting landing dair > nair

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
It is a rising Full Hop DAir > falling NAir. Once the opponent gets to a certain percent (30~50%) they go nearly as far backwards as Palutena can if she holds backwards while in the air. I do not believe a follow up is garuanteed, but given how little this is done you can probably get them with a NAir.

Rising DAir needs more work imo. I like DAir out of shield if the opponent does a cross up and lands behind you

Last edited:

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I'm mostly a dirty 3DScrub so it's unfortunately difficult for me to get/show visuals. :nervous:
Thanks for sharing your idea to the community! Do you have a video camera on your phone by the way? I remember I wanted to share something with the Palutena discord, but I only had a 3DS. I put my phone on a table with the camera part sticking out and facing the floor. I held my 3DS under it as I sat down. I labbed the idea repeatedly as my phone recorded. It's not a perfect way to go about it and it will not look professionally-made, but personally that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to give a visual of the idea (which ended up being something already done before) and see what people in the discord thought.

I hope that helps.

Top Bottom