• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacman VS top tier characters

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Hello all a friend of mine who's a excellent pacman main is kind of upset aganst his match up aganst top tier characters like rose and ZZS since he has a lot of trouble fighting them. Just to help him out a little bit mind tell me some techs on how a pacman can fight ZZS, Rose, little mac, and diddy kong.

He feels that pacman can't keep up with the current meta game and that's he's going to be D tier.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Hello all a friend of mine who's a excellent pacman main is kind of upset aganst his match up aganst top tier characters like rose and ZZS since he has a lot of trouble fighting them. Just to help him out a little bit mind tell me some techs on how a pacman can fight ZZS, Rose, little mac, and diddy kong.

He feels that pacman can't keep up with the current meta game and that's he's going to be D tier.
I can redirect you to the Matchup thread, we have had several discussions there. Out of all the top tier's Rosalina is one of the strongest against Pac-man, but none of them are unwinnable. Pac-man's strength is how effectively you can use the tools he has to mixup your opponent. Pac-man can be very hard to predict, and if you check the Video thread, you will see various differences between players here as well. I disagree that Little Mac is top Tier however, Pac-man can seriously wipe the floor with him, even with his bad grab. That is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well the match up thread isn't as organized as I would like it to be. Also I don't main pacman myself but a friend of mine who's a very good pacman main really likes the character.

He feels like pacman can't keep up the the higher tier and faster characters.

I do agree that little mac isn't as good or OP as everyone is saying he is. In fact I think he's perfect where he is at the moment he just needs to play defensive. The only reason I mention him is because my friend has been losing to good little Mac's that w8 for pacman to make the first move just to get punish.

What I'm asking here is CAN PACMAN KEEP UP WITH THE META.

And how dose he fight ZZS, Rose and so on.

He seems like megaman where he has a lot of options and a lot of tools to help him control the battle but he's also a lot slower then megaman.

So what I'm asking here is how he can deal with these weaknesses aganst character X.

Not to sound to rude but mind telling the ower of the pinned thread to organize the match ups a little more.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Well the match up thread isn't as organized as I would like it to be. Also I don't main pacman myself but a friend of mine who's a very good pacman main really likes the character.

He feels like pacman can't keep up the the higher tier and faster characters.

I do agree that little mac isn't as good or OP as everyone is saying he is. In fact I think he's perfect where he is at the moment he just needs to play defensive. The only reason I mention him is because my friend has been losing to good little Mac's that w8 for pacman to make the first move just to get punish.

What I'm asking here is CAN PACMAN KEEP UP WITH THE META.

And how dose he fight ZZS, Rose and so on.

He seems like megaman where he has a lot of options and a lot of tools to help him control the battle but he's also a lot slower then megaman.

So what I'm asking here is how he can deal with these weaknesses aganst character X.

Not to sound to rude but mind telling the ower of the pinned thread to organize the match ups a little more.
Dude, we're 3 weeks into the Wii U meta(I note the difference because in my experience, lag free multiplayer play on the 3DS is impossible), and you're already asking for a variety of matchup specific information that we simply don't have yet, because it's going to take at least months to gather effective strategies against what are very good characters. We don't even know if they will be effective, we can only share information and improve as a group progressively. If your friend is a very good Pac-Man, he should be able to figure it out, and I'd certainly invite you guys to post videos of his play so we can break down what is and isn't working. We don't have any silver bullets, we have to see how he's losing.

As for Little Mac, trampoline, trampoline, trampoline. Always have it out and have it between Pac-Man and Little Mac. Use the bonus fruits, and punish him every time he goes into the air to approach Pac-Man. This is what has worked for us, and you may be able to find videos floating around as well.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Customs would help a lot vs Little Mac as well. On Fire hydrant would be an issue for him.

As for whether or not Pac Man can keep up with the Meta, I still think he is a high tier character at worst. His grab will prevent him from -ever- hitting top tier if you ask me though, unless we find someway to circumvent it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I don't mean to sound rude, but your friend sounds like he's inadequate with pac-man. Losing to high tier characters (and garbage little mac) and then blaming the character this early in the game is a sign of a bad player. If he posted his videos we could help him, but I'm not going to be the one to say "oh we fight this character like this and that character like that" he needs to work on his skills with the character first before he writes him off and searches for specific ways to beat a meta that doesn't exist yet.
And Pac-Man is definitely high tier in my opinion. Your friend may need to check the pacman advanced techniques thread to learn more about Pac-Man.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
He knows alot of pamans techs I do believe that he can be a strong character. In fact he's able to catch his key after it bounces off the stage and spam fire hydrants and play minds games with it using Zdrop. He's been on the ladder and been doing alright it's just that he mains ONLY pacman with out a 2nd. He's really annoyed that he spent a lot of time learning all the little tricks and yet there's a character in this game witch all u need to know is Dthrow to Uair.

I still will defend him say he's a very good pacman the things i've seen him do like appach Fair and then Nair in short hop is crazy.

I do understand that this game is still very early on and I was asking what you guys. The PACMAN MAINS deal with some of these character instead of tell me that he's a bad pacman and should learn the match up himselfs. I'm sure you guys know know how to deal with some of his worst match ups/ characters seen commend in tournaments. Y not give tips instead of tell him he's bad.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
He knows alot of pamans techs I do believe that he can be a strong character. In fact he's able to catch his key after it bounces off the stage and spam fire hydrants and play minds games with it using Zdrop. He's been on the ladder and been doing alright it's just that he mains ONLY pacman with out a 2nd. He's really annoyed that he spent a lot of time learning all the little tricks and yet there's a character in this game witch all u need to know is Dthrow to Uair.

I still will defend him say he's a very good pacman the things i've seen him do like appach Fair and then Nair in short hop is crazy.

I do understand that this game is still very early on and I was asking what you guys. The PACMAN MAINS deal with some of these character instead of tell me that he's a bad pacman and should learn the match up himselfs. I'm sure you guys know know how to deal with some of his worst match ups/ characters seen commend in tournaments. Y not give tips instead of tell him he's bad.
Umm, I am confused, we have a thread dedicated only to match ups. Diddy is more then just down throw up air for example. Several times a player would come to the thread ask for a particular match up and provide our opinion. I know that I have covered most of them myself in the thread. I am also confused as to why he would not come for these resources himself. We also have not seen any footage in the video thread from this player to help critique. We aren't Psychic.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Erm... Little mac? You mean the guy who cries whenever we drop a trampoline in front of him?

Or hell, tier complaints three weeks into a game release? Are you serious? Outside of probably Diddy Kong, I don't know if anyone even knows what the "top tiers" actually look like.

If he wants to go play Diddy or the top tiers on his own, he can go ahead. But we're in the first months of a new fighting game. No one knows how to do any real advanced tech yet. In particular, perfect pivoting has only recently begun to be used in tournaments, and I've never seen a PacMan do theoretically useful moves like Wavebouncing / B-Reversals to control spacing while charging a fruit (like Robin / Lucario players)

Or hell, I don't think I see Pacman on streams / tournaments at all. There really isn't much footage of him.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Welcome to new fighting games: no one knows anything.

So just play the game the way you feel like it. In a few months, the meta will begin to stabilize and we can start discussing "issues vs top tiers" at that point.

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice

Sure, post videos of his play and then we'll give tips. Until then there's not much we can do.

Top Bottom