• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.pac vs .pcs files?

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
I just got a texture pack from the Brawl Vault and I have no idea which ones to substitute... I think .Pac, but should I just copy paste everything into the fighter folder? Could someone enlighten me please?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Both. This makes sure the single player costume is swapped as well.

For transforming characters, .pac is required to work. Bowser, Wario, Zelda, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus all require that file.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Okay so I replace the files that are already in the folder for the new ones? And thanks. I didn't want to corrupt anything.. lol I shouldn't have any problem then since the character I want to change doesn't transform.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
You can usually get away with just using the pcs files, but some characters (like the ones shun listed) are gonna require the pac files. Using them, even when they aren't required, will never hurt anything, so it's generally a good idea. Basically, always use the files you're given. If you've got both, use them both.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Basically, always use the files you're given. If you've got both, use them both.
If you're getting stuff from BrawlVault, a lot of people don't give .pac files because they're not technically required.

.pcs are ALL required for Vs. mode, no exceptions. .pac will allow the textures to show up in single player modes and on wifi, but they are not necessary for Vs. mode. The only exceptions are Bowser, Wario, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, ZSS, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, who DO require you to have the .pac to work, even in Vs. mode.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
lol, that's why I said use what you were given. If you were only given a pcs, then that's all you've got, so it's obviously all you can use.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
If they gave you a .pac for a non-transforming character don't use it/replace your current .pac unless they made it specifically for the current version of P:M otherwise you'll have a brawl.pac that's been modified to have a glowing sword that normally wouldn't effect brawl but it's P:M you're using it.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
If you were only given a pcs, then that's all you've got, so it's obviously all you can use.
You could always make a .pac yourself if you needed to. But you usually don't need to.

If they gave you a .pac for a non-transforming character don't use it/replace your current .pac unless they made it specifically for the current version of P:M otherwise you'll have a brawl.pac that's been modified to have a glowing sword that normally wouldn't effect brawl but it's P:M you're using it.
It seemed to be assumed that we were only talking about the .pac counterparts of .pcs files for custom texture. It should be general knowledge that you can't replace any effect files in P:M (and that didn't look like the TC's question).

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I managed to get the texture hacks to work with Project M and Boy Howdy is it entertaining! I was worried for nothing, silly ol' me :p
Anyone know of any Tatsunoko characters for Shiek? I checked the vault, and the best I could get to go with Morrigan over Zelda, was Jun from Street Fighter.. but since they haven't appeared in a Nintendo game together, it kind of annoys me. I like the "Transformation" or "Tag in" (I'm calling it), to make sense. And Jun makes sense because of MVsC3 but that's PS3. TVsC is what I'm trying to represent. Its acceptable the way it is though. lol

Top Bottom