• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Mod! (Archives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
EDIT from Dragontamer: I'm taking this thread as the "archives" from the "Pac-Mod" topic. To help keep the "Pac-Mod" topic short and accessible, I've moved all old posts to this locked "archive" topic instead.

--------------

Hey guys! I'm Th3 Composer and I'm gonna be both modding and (ideally!) maining the good 'ol cheese wheel!

Over the next couple of days I'm gonna be doing some major clean up here--locking threads, archiving threads, maybe mashing some threads together--so don't be alarmed is the place starts to temporarily look a little less... full.
With the game rapidly approaching we'll be getting more and more metagame and gameplay threads up as well as (hopefully) some write-ups and analysis, so there will be a home for that too soon.

The place already has a general thread so I'll keep it stickied, and I'm gonna unstick the image gallery. The more relevant threads that get created the more I'll stick but I'm gonna try to keep it low.

Don't hesitate to contact me on smashboards if you have any questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hey. Welcome to the Pac boards :)

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Agreed, I'd like to know a bit about you, since, as far as I can recall, I don't remember seeing you on the Pac-Man forums or threads beforehand (not to say you weren't, but obviously I haven't seen every single post ever).

Why are you planning to main Pac-Man? Have you been a Pac-Man fan for a long while? If so, what's your favorite Pac-Man game? Or are you maining him because he looks like a good character? Just some basic questions.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Hey guys! I'm Th3 Composer and I'm gonna be both modding and (ideally!) maining the good 'ol cheese wheel!

Over the next couple of days I'm gonna be doing some major clean up here--locking threads, archiving threads, maybe mashing some threads together--so don't be alarmed is the place starts to temporarily look a little less... full.
With the game rapidly approaching we'll be getting more and more metagame and gameplay threads up as well as (hopefully) some write-ups and analysis, so there will be a home for that too soon.

The place already has a general thread so I'll keep it stickied, and I'm gonna unstick the image gallery. The more relevant threads that get created the more I'll stick but I'm gonna try to keep it low.

Don't hesitate to contact me on smashboards if you have any questions!
...are you a twewy fan by chance?

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Hey the image thread was a great idea! Plus it'll still be around, just not always stuck to the top.

I was a Samus/Wario main in Brawl, and a TO in the Midwest (from Indiana). I cofounded a group called DtJ that, among other things, hosts big tournaments for Melee/P:M/Brawl/Smash 4(soon!). I've been a mod of the midwest boards for about a year, probably longer

When they showed the Pac-Man reveal, I definitely wanted to give him a try (item play is always fun in fighting games--I played Teddy in P4A)... but since I knew Namco/Bandai were producing the game, I was pretty sure Pac-Man would be involved from the get-go.

I can't say I've played many of the new pac-man games to be honest. I am pretty outraged that Ms. Pacman isn't an alt skin though

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Hey the image thread was a great idea! Plus it'll still be around, just not always stuck to the top.

I was a Samus/Wario main in Brawl, and a TO in the Midwest (from Indiana). I cofounded a group called DtJ that, among other things, hosts big tournaments for Melee/P:M/Brawl/Smash 4(soon!). I've been a mod of the midwest boards for about a year, probably longer

When they showed the Pac-Man reveal, I definitely wanted to give him a try (item play is always fun in fighting games--I played Teddy in P4A)... but since I knew Namco/Bandai were producing the game, I was pretty sure Pac-Man would be involved from the get-go.

I can't say I've played many of the new pac-man games to be honest. I am pretty outraged that Ms. Pacman isn't an alt skin though
Oh hey, cool. I'm from Indiana. Haven't been to any tournaments lately, due to the fact I suck now, but I plan to try my hand at Smash 4 again and start attending tournaments. :D And of course I'll be maining Pac-Man, next to Mario, Dedede, and Samus.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Hey everybody, I've been granted mod powers for these forums.

I'll try not to ban everyone by accident.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Thanks!

I noticed a lot of new mods going around too. I guess the higher-ups want some extra help with the WiiU traffic in here and all.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Hi!

No offense, but who are you? Like, introduce yourself.
None taken! I'm a long-time lurker who came back to SmashBoards as Smash4 came out.

Honestly, I'm probably an "intermediate" Smash4 player at best as I don't have the huge amount of serious tournament experience that some other people around here have. Nonetheless, I do think I'm well versed in theory, especially the interpretation of the hacked Frame Data that Thinkaman has worked hard to give.

I know people look up to the "Mod" label for deeper experience, but please consider me like any other player within discussions. I'm mostly going to be using my powers to moderate discussions and organize the threads around here.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
None taken! I'm a long-time lurker who came back to SmashBoards as Smash4 came out.

Honestly, I'm probably an "intermediate" Smash4 player at best as I don't have the huge amount of serious tournament experience that some other people around here have. Nonetheless, I do think I'm well versed in theory, especially the interpretation of the hacked Frame Data that Thinkaman has worked hard to give.

I know people look up to the "Mod" label for deeper experience, but please consider me like any other player within discussions. I'm mostly going to be using my powers to moderate discussions and organize the threads around here.
Welcome, then! I look forward to seeing you around!

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I think we should have a dedicated friend code/NNID sharing thread so we can all practice our Pac Men.
Most other character forums have a thread like this and I think it'd be beneficial for us all:)

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Yeah, this is a slow forum. But, its what we've got. 49+ characters splits up the community pretty hardcore.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Yeah, this is a slow forum. But, its what we've got. 49+ characters splits up the community pretty hardcore.
thats why you go all out on one char. (like me...)
--Pros--

-you contribute more to your char. forums
-you get better w/ the character
-the metagame growth doubles if not triples (roughly depending on average # of mains)

--Cons--
-dittos, inescapable
^----the better man or woman wins. simple. the strong are at the top in a evenly fair match.
-unpopular chars. being unused, but this may help their growth, too
-bad MU'S

^
Now, the^ above is something I would like to elab. on.
Think of it this way, this scenario can be expressed in a world-connection. Immigration. Most American citizens who have immigrated here did so because the US has better opportunities. I for one, want to move OUT of the US because of the amount of fast food, the bad media, and the label America has gained of being the country with the highest obesity-rate. Anyway, maybe the countries where people immigrated from wouldn't be as bad if all the smart people stayed there, and didn't move to America for "better opportunities". Not to blame ANYONE. Sometimes your parents/you have/had no choice. So I am being selfish to want to immigrate. SO relating to Smash, maybe some characters would not be so bad if smashers were dedicated to them..
just something to think about~<3 ty

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I'm nipping this problem in the bud. I'd rather not give my first warnings out, so I'm gonna just edit your arguments and delete some posts.

Do not respond to accusations of hostility with hostility. We're all here to learn PacMan. If you aren't talking about PacMan, then please refocus your discussion on PacMan.

Keep challenges on the field. Theorycraft challenges are worthless. Real-challenges and organized tournament fights are where its at. There is also another place for trash-talk I'm sure, but it certainly isn't around here.

I don't want to see "theorycraft challenges" around here. Do not issue "I'm better than you" talk unless you have a plan to back it up and prove it... preferably in some offline environment where a fair fight can go down.
It's not a theorycraft challenge. It's a logical conclusion when you watch videos and do research, and somebody suggests the opposite of what all of the evidence shows. There's no actual challenge here. How can we be confident that the bad information will get weeded out if we're not pointing out that it's bad information? Before you respond with something about who decides what's good and bad information, I think it's perfectly fair to ask for videos and statistics of a challenged claim, and I'm fully prepared to provide it for my own claims.

For the record, I'm fine with the edits, the thread doesn't need to be derailed from this. But this is an issue we do need to think about, since any random Joe can walk in with half baked ideas and people are going to read them.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
It's not a theorycraft challenge. It's a logical conclusion when you watch videos and do research, and somebody suggests the opposite of what all of the evidence shows. There's no actual challenge here.
The precise quote was:

I'm pretty confident that I'm better than you.
I admit that this is a quote-snipe, and I do apologize. But that's why I'm talking about this discussion instead of using warnings, or deleting your post outright or whatever. There's more to this case than just this quote.

Nonetheless, the above specific quote is wholly unnecessary to your post. It has absolutely no use aside from aggravating and taunting the other poster. Not only is this against Smashboard rules IMO, it also weakens your argument.

Frankly, what you were trying to say is summed up in the following phrase:

"PacMan's grab is slower than most of the cast at 12f. With a large active time and cooldown, it is also hugely punishable". That's it. A good chunk of the rest of your post was unnecessary.

I also realize that the other poster escalated it first (maybe), and you were likely responding tit-for-tat. Please don't do that, just silently hit the report-button and I'll take a look at it asap. Lets try to keep the debates purely intellectual around here.

In future cases, please keep in mind that I'll not have the time to investigate things thoroughly. I'm taking extra precautions now so that the members of this board can understand my moderation style. Resolving this issue has taken several hours of my night, reading over the arguments and trying to pass down a fair judgement. But I cannot dedicate this much time to future events. Yall understand?

How can we be confident that the bad information will get weeded out if we're not pointing out that it's bad information? Before you respond with something about who decides what's good and bad information, I think it's perfectly fair to ask for videos and statistics of a challenged claim, and I'm fully prepared to provide it for my own claims.

For the record, I'm fine with the edits, the thread doesn't need to be derailed from this. But this is an issue we do need to think about, since any random Joe can walk in with half baked ideas and people are going to read them.
Forums are innately going to be filled with bad information, especially if we wish to be welcoming to weaker players and newbies. I trust that the forum viewers can read a good argument however. As a discussion continues, the end result of the theorycraft ought to be summarized into a guide (which I'll try to curate to some degree).

Still, when up against a "bad argument", I have an expectation that you will provide a minimal degree of respect to the other poster.

I am not necessarily against you issuing a "fact-check challenge", such as "Please demonstrate when that move was used in a tournament match".

But what I am against are personal attacks, chest-beating, or attempts to prove yourself to be the alpha-male in the discussion. If you really want to do that, the proper place is during a tournament! This is a fighting-game community after all, "Trial by Combat" exists and is a splendid tradition.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun : The moderation topic is not a place to take sides in a discussion. I've deleted your post. We're all learning my moderation style... myself included.

A base rule for this topic: all moderation discussion shall be directed to me. You can support someone else's argument, or you can criticize someone else's argument. But at the end of the day, this topic exists so that you guys can talk to me specifically.

It sounds arbitrary, but I've listened to a number of Congressional debates over the past year on C-Span, and it is a nifty trick for keeping order. If two congressmen get into a debate, the Chairman bangs the gavel and demands them to direct comments to the chair. (And Congressmen love to argue with each other). It helps keep order in arguments, and it helps keep the debate moving forward.

Similarly, if you and someone else are involved in a moderation discussion, I don't want you guys talking with each other. Your messages should be directed to me. Got it? I do encourage yall to resolve issues on your own, through private messages of course. But when it is a public matter where reputation is on the line, directing your comments to the 3rd party tends to be beneficial to everyone.

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
The precise quote was:

I admit that this is a quote-snipe, and I do apologize. But that's why I'm talking about this discussion instead of using warnings, or deleting your post outright or whatever. There's more to this case than just this quote.

Nonetheless, the above specific quote is wholly unnecessary to your post. It has absolutely no use aside from aggravating and taunting the other poster. Not only is this against Smashboard rules IMO, it also weakens your argument.

Frankly, what you were trying to say is summed up in the following phrase:

"PacMan's grab is slower than most of the cast at 12f. With a large active time and cooldown, it is also hugely punishable". That's it. A good chunk of the rest of your post was unnecessary.

I also realize that the other poster escalated it first (maybe), and you were likely responding tit-for-tat. Please don't do that, just silently hit the report-button and I'll take a look at it asap. Lets try to keep the debates purely intellectual around here.

In future cases, please keep in mind that I'll not have the time to investigate things thoroughly. I'm taking extra precautions now so that the members of this board can understand my moderation style. Resolving this issue has taken several hours of my night, reading over the arguments and trying to pass down a fair judgement. But I cannot dedicate this much time to future events. Yall understand?

Forums are innately going to be filled with bad information, especially if we wish to be welcoming to weaker players and newbies. I trust that the forum viewers can read a good argument however. As a discussion continues, the end result of the theorycraft ought to be summarized into a guide (which I'll try to curate to some degree).

Still, when up against a "bad argument", I have an expectation that you will provide a minimal degree of respect to the other poster.

I am not necessarily against you issuing a "fact-check challenge", such as "Please demonstrate when that move was used in a tournament match".

But what I am against are personal attacks, chest-beating, or attempts to prove yourself to be the alpha-male in the discussion. If you really want to do that, the proper place is during a tournament! This is a fighting-game community after all, "Trial by Combat" exists and is a splendid tradition.
I don't see how you consider the quote snipe a challenge. That sentence in particular never actually solicited a response, which is a requirement to fulfill any definition of a challenge. You could call it chest beating, but what about an NBA player who says that they're confident that they're better than you in basketball? That doesn't necessarily imply any sort of arrogance, and they probably don't need to play you 1v1 to prove it either.

The first post I made in response to the poor info I thought was respectful, and it appears like you agree because you left it in place. I will use the report button in the future when I think there has been a personal attack made.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun : The moderation topic is not a place to take sides in a discussion. I've deleted your post. We're all learning my moderation style... myself included.

A base rule for this topic: all moderation discussion shall be directed to me. You can support someone else's argument, or you can criticize someone else's argument. But at the end of the day, this topic exists so that you guys can talk to me specifically.

It sounds arbitrary, but I've listened to a number of Congressional debates over the past year on C-Span, and it is a nifty trick for keeping order. If two congressmen get into a debate, the Chairman bangs the gavel and demands them to direct comments to the chair. (And Congressmen love to argue with each other). It helps keep order in arguments, and it helps keep the debate moving forward.

Similarly, if you and someone else are involved in a moderation discussion, I don't want you guys talking with each other. Your messages should be directed to me. Got it? I do encourage yall to resolve issues on your own, through private messages of course. But when it is a public matter where reputation is on the line, directing your comments to the 3rd party tends to be beneficial to everyone.
IF TWO CONGRESSMAN DEBATE then at the end, both of them are smarter/more knowledgeable (on the topic). So now we are selfish humans who must increase our knowledge of Pacman on player conversations and not with each other?? Ok, the way I see it is that one day Mr.Dragontamer can just come on the threads and be a tyrant. After lying in wait for his prey, the tiger leaps! So my messages are directed to you? So my replies are directed to you? Hmm I think something is wrong here. "We're all learning my moderation style... myself included." What is this? First you lay low then when you start doing your job, you are learning how to do it? .-. just really. make a thread with all your rules and meybe it would help, ya know???

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Rules are global for each board. That doesn't mean that they are run exactly the same.

If you need me to be the one to infract you from now on rather than this "tyrant" that is willing to admit he is learning as he goes/willing to work with the community on an individual basis, I'd be glad to oblige.

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Is now a good time to ask if I can make a thread about Stage Choices/Stage Analysis for Pac Man that could possibly be stickied ?
Or should that discussion be in a general thread? Or has a thread like this already been made?

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Is now a good time to ask if I can make a thread about Stage Choices/Stage Analysis for Pac Man that could possibly be stickied ?
Or should that discussion be in a general thread? Or has a thread like this already been made?
I've been thinking of making one actually, but I don't know exactly how to start it.

If you've already got an idea, please start the Stage Choices thread! I'm definitely interested in reading your thoughts on stage selection.

IF TWO CONGRESSMAN DEBATE then at the end, both of them are smarter/more knowledgeable (on the topic). So now we are selfish humans who must increase our knowledge of Pacman on player conversations and not with each other?? Ok, the way I see it is that one day Mr.Dragontamer can just come on the threads and be a tyrant. After lying in wait for his prey, the tiger leaps! So my messages are directed to you? So my replies are directed to you? Hmm I think something is wrong here. "We're all learning my moderation style... myself included." What is this? First you lay low then when you start doing your job, you are learning how to do it? .-. just really. make a thread with all your rules and meybe it would help, ya know???
I've provided a baseline of the rules in the first post. I note that I'll be adding rules as necessary. Nonetheless, I encourage open discussion of the rules I establish. The political theory that I'm attempting to follow are Roberts Rules of Order, a description of how the US Congress holds their meetings and establish the laws of the USA.

Note that what I'm trying to do here is somewhat complicated. We will be changing the rules of the PacMan forums by discussing the rules in this topic. In particular, we will be discussing whether or not I should have deleted posts, edited posts, or issued warnings... all the while, I will be governing the discussion of the rules by... enforcing the rules. The snake eats its own tail recursively here.

Trust me when I say this, the discussion will go much smoother if you direct moderation issues to me directly. After all, the purpose of this topic is to allow you to try and convince me to change my moderation style, including the very rule (Rule 2.2) that I just made a few posts ago.

With that said, do you have any qualms about the "Rule 2.2"? I should note, Rule 2.2 only applies to this topic, the Pac-Mod topic.

Rules are global for each board. That doesn't mean that they are run exactly the same.

If you need you need me to be the one to infract you from now on rather than this "tyrant" that is willing to admit he is learning as he goes/willing to work with the community on an individual basis, I'd be glad to oblige.
Thank you for your support.

I should also note that the rules that govern SmashBoards in general are beyond the scope of my powers. My moderation powers are confined to the PacMan forums only. As such, I should note that other moderators supersede my powers, and are therefore outside the scope of what I can govern. The rules I establish here cannot apply to them.

The first post I made in response to the poor info I thought was respectful, and it appears like you agree because you left it in place. I will use the report button in the future when I think there has been a personal attack made.
Hmm, well, in any case, it seems like we both understand the crux of the situation. Lets see how the "report" methodology works out. If it doesn't work out, we'll revise the rules as necessary.

I've formalized our agreement as "Rule 3". Does that sound fair to you?

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, well, in any case, it seems like we both understand the crux of the situation. Lets see how the "report" methodology works out. If it doesn't work out, we'll revise the rules as necessary.

I've formalized our agreement as "Rule 3". Does that sound fair to you?
Yes, sounds fair to me.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3

If you need me to be the one to infract you from now on rather than this "tyrant" that is willing to admit he is learning as he goes/willing to work with the community on an individual basis, I'd be glad to oblige.
please "oblige"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom