• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man's Smash 4 Tutorial!

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Ever felt weird or uncomfortable after using Pac-Man for the first time. Don't be surprised. He is in fact very different from the rest of the cast. Here is a guide on how to use Pac-Man.
Pac-Man has a lot of tools on/off stage. I'll start with edge guarding.

Edge Guarding:
The main thing after getting them off stage is his hydrant and fruits. Learn the order and the rhythm in which they come out. The peach/melon/key is good for horizontal edge guarding. The apple can be thrown diagonally downwards to catch opponents that like stall a little before they up b from below. It will launch them up and depending on the percent you can react quickly to do a fair/nair. I prefer nair since its stronger and you want the stock gone. If they are directly below the ledge, throw a hydrant down. If they wall tech jump, fsmash. Side b is another edge guarding tool and is safe because it has super armor and you can always use your up b to get back to the stage. Fair is another great option. Since it has little knock back and comes out fast you can carry your opponents near to the blast zone with it (similar to Jigglypuff's wall of pain).

The Neutral Game:
Dash attack/fair are his best approaches. His dash attack has little cool down time so its easy to another action after the animation. A good trick if your opponent is shielding would be to dash attack early bait the opponent to do something then grab. The grab will cover the range. Another great trick if they are shielding is to dash attack late then pivot ftilt for a shield poke. Jab is another option after a dash attack. When you actually connect the dash attack, short hop/full hop (depending on the weight class) fair>nair/fair, wait for air dodge>nair/fair>hydrant. His fair comes out fast. you can fair>nair/ fair>bair behind them. you can also perfect space short hop fair and wait for the opponent to whiff something, then punish. Throwing a hydrant and standing behind it will give you ample time to power up your fruits. The Hydrant can only tumble after receiving 13%. The key automatically tumbles it since its 15%. That is an easy 28% if you read your opponent right. Bair (if sweet spotted) automatically tumbles it. If not, the hydrant will stay as is but don't worry. you can jab the hydrant and make it tumble slowly allowing to a sort of shield in front while you power up your fruits. Another trick is to throw a hydrant, stand on top of it then side b into the hydrant using a semicircle. This will cover both high and low.

Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit Game: His fruits in the neutral game is very unique. His cherry absorbs all projectiles (for example lucario's aura sphere). His strawberry is thrown like a regular object and should be used the least. His peach should be used mostly. It is thrown horizontally and fly's fast. The apple is thrown downwards if thrown from the air and bounces if thrown from the ground. this launches the opponent upwards and can kill starting at 120%. The melon when thrown moves slowly but can be used as a mind game. For example, you can throw it, run while it's in motion, the opponent will shield and you get a free grab. His flying object hits twice and can be snatched again using either dash attack or fair. This should be used at low percents to keep you opponent near to you. The bell should be used at high percents. When thrown it goes forward>diagonally up then drops down. When hit the opponent will stun then fly off. Try not to let that happen. Hit them with the bell then you get a free fsmash. The higher the percent, the longer your opponent is stunned. The key flys fast and can kill starting at 110%. A cool trick would be to throw a hydrant. If you r opponent decides to jump over the hydrant wait for the water to gush out then throw the key. The water will send the key flying diagonally upwards and hit the opponent.

Pac-Man's out of shield options:
Pac-Man has great defensive tools such as up b out of shield and nair out of shield.

Pac-Man's throws:
His up throw can be used at low percents into an up air. His Down throw can lead into a tech chase. Dash attack is the best response after a down throw. His back throw kills starting at 120% if thrown near the ledge. If you have a key stored, forward throw if thrown at 115-130% into short hop key. His forward throw can also lead to a fair.

Pac-Man's weaknesses:
Pac-Man has a hard time against characters like Rosalina, Captain Falcon and Little Mac. Character's that negate Pac-Man's set ups (such as Rosalina's gravitational Pull) and characters that are always in his face wins the matchup.

Pac-Man's strengths:
Pac-Man has a great advantage against characters he can zone out well such as bowser, sonic, King DDD, sheik, Marth/lucina Duck Hunt Dog.

In conclusion, Pac-Man is a very outstanding but different character. He has a ton load of options but should be used carefully. He requires a lot smart gameplay (similar to Snake from Brawl). I'm not a fan of tier list but if I were to rate him, he would be high tier. All in all, have fun with him. Their are a lot more things about him that are unexplored and will be reveled in the years to come.

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Appreciate the write-up. I would wait a little before saying who he's weak against. I don't have too much trouble with Falcon or Little Macs precisely because of what Pacman9 said, you can use trampolines and hydrants to completely direct the pace and direction of the match.

Dash attack is great and I love to use it, but it is not our best approach. Good players WILL PUNISH YOU if you approach them with dash attack on their shield, I guarantee it. They can grab you or hit you.

Again thanks for the write up

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Acutally I think Pac-Man has an advantage vs Captain Falcon and Little Mac. His fruit are very effective against both.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Yea, I started to realize how great the trampoline is after writing this guide lol. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom