• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Super Jump? NOW WITH VIDEO!

B!squick

Smash Master
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so sorry if this is old news, but I didn't find it mentioned in the guides or topic titles on the first page here. But, yeah, Pac-Man has a super jump.

To perform, drop the hydrant under your feet from a standing position. Then just time your jump so you're leaving the "ground" (hydrant in this case) just as the water is shot out.

And no, I'm not mistaking the water pushing me as something special. The apex of this jump is Pac-Man's normal jump height ABOVE the water spray. This also works with the Trampoline and sends you even higher with the initial launch than with the first bounce. It's also easier to see in action with UpB if you're having trouble getting it to work.

EDIT: Found a video. Kinda hard to see, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWrQR3hb_8

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
I'd save a replay and send it to someone, but it's hard to make out what happening against an NPC because they get so close and whatnot.

Just try it out in training. And as I said, it's really easy to do with UpB and the difference is noticeable. It's just a matter of getting the timing down.

xzx

Smash Lord
I think what's happening is that the water just pushes you up. I know you mentioned it in the OP that that is not the case, but I really do think this is the case. Has done this purposely a few times. Same things happen with his Bonus Fruits too.

B!squick

Smash Master
Nope. If you pull it off you still have your second jump which wouldn't be the case if it was just the water pushing you. In the video you can clearly see the water doesn't touch him at any point. And the boosted Trampoline height is further proof. Compare what it looks like when you do what you think is happening to what happens in the video, is it really the same?

Regardless, I've been trying to figure out how this could actually be useful and I haven't come up with anything yet. Pac-Man's aerials aren't very good. Nothing he has really sends people in an upwards direction, so it's not like you can use it to go after someone recovering high. The only move I've noticed that does that with any sort of ease is the last hit of DAir, USmash not withstanding. There's always setting up a Trap Tramp, but the knockback isn't nearly enough to follow up with a Hydrant boosted jump.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This is a regular physics blip for any sort of water move or windbox (for instance, have a character jump while G&W is doing his uair underneath them, the results are often similar). However, the fact that PacMan can use his own tool to enable it is indeed useful and unique.

xzx

Smash Lord
Nope. If you pull it off you still have your second jump which wouldn't be the case if it was just the water pushing you. In the video you can clearly see the water doesn't touch him at any point. And the boosted Trampoline height is further proof. Compare what it looks like when you do what you think is happening to what happens in the video, is it really the same?

Regardless, I've been trying to figure out how this could actually be useful and I haven't come up with anything yet. Pac-Man's aerials aren't very good. Nothing he has really sends people in an upwards direction, so it's not like you can use it to go after someone recovering high. The only move I've noticed that does that with any sort of ease is the last hit of DAir, USmash not withstanding. There's always setting up a Trap Tramp, but the knockback isn't nearly enough to follow up with a Hydrant boosted jump.
Yeah you're right. The super jump comes out before the water. Interesting. Inb4 this will be patched.

This can be useful if you want to charge your fruit safely, for example.

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah you're right. The super jump comes out before the water. Interesting. Inb4 this will be patched.

This can be useful if you want to charge your fruit safely, for example.
Yeah, but in the time it takes for you to set it up you could just charge the fruit normally. And if you've knocked the opponent far enough away to safely set up this boosted jump to safely charge the fruit you probably could have better spent your time keeping your opponent off stage in some way.

I wonder if you could use this same idea to further boost a dash with the side spurts with proper timing? Being able to launch yourself at your opponent at two different speeds could be very useful.

EDIT: Might be a neat trick to do in doubles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom