• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man in Smash4 - CyberWolfJV's personal analysis

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
This originally was supposed to be a video content... but, sorry, I won't have time to do so. and eventually GameXplain will attack too. XD.. but this is less deep analysis... I'm not going further in properties of attacks, commands, or anything technical.. it's more speculation and paying attention in the details as fan; btw, this is an analysis from Pac-fan to Pac-fans. =)... let's go:

Pac-Man in Smash4 - CyberWolfJV's personal analysis​

First of all I'd like to emphasize that the theme choice was very well made for his trailer: colors! That made allusion to the basic color palettes of consoles and Arcades from '80s; as well the Box Arts and cartridge labels from classic Atari games, Commodore and others, which desperately tried to show which console had the best machine or color availability.
Then the revelation of the title card of Pac-Man! interpreted, particularly for me, as a joke with the whole story of "uh, duuh, he's just a circle missing a slice, what he could do?!" Incredible, amazing, lovely! ... The transition then happens to show his actual in-game model, and demonstrates that the Pac is not as simple as many uninformed clamored.

The design of Pac-Man, was one of the most debated things around here lately (I'll follow further about this later, I have opinion already formed, but I'll anticipate that loved the choice!), was used by NAMCO during the Pac-Man World series era [1999~2000] (it's worth mentioning this detail, because I saw many websites, including major sites, pointing erroneously as the "original design" or specifically as reminiscent from Pac-Land, this one was surely first seen in Pac-Man World for PSone). [see better here]

His sound effects, attacks and some animations are derived from several classic NAMCO games from between 80 and 90, ... but particularly first let us focus on some specific of references from his own series and appearances: In his first movement, by simple jumping in the trailer (against Mario), the sound effect played is exactly the same coming from Pac-Land (a beautiful detail);

...the air kick that came soon after, can't be a simple coincidence, but is also seen in *Street Fighter X Tekken on his Mokujin-bot; His sequence of punches, can be judge generic, but the way it is done (animation and body position) plus his expression, came straight from the mini-combo present in Pac-Man World 3 .... His finisher (and/or Up Tilt) is nothing more nor less than the Flip Kick from Pac-Man World 2!
*Noticed also (in the roundtable fight), that his Edge Recovery attack is actually from Street Fighter X Tekken too, present in his crouch light kick.

We see Pac-Man using several summons and variations of projectiles; The score fruits from the original Pac-Man arcade are seen, but not all were confirmed, in fact: Orange, Apple, Melon and also the Galaxian sprite (is not seen anywhere in the iconic **Cherry, or even the Grapes); they are all supposedly to be used with different properties ... The Orange seemed to take the hits from Mega Man's Mega Buster to protect Pac, and the Galaxian briefly flew in circles on the screen.

There is also a move which, unfortunately, I don't know what is the real property. but it's very creative: some Pac-Dots and a Power Pallet appear in the palm of Pac's hand, followed by a path over his head ... the yellow glutton then part to waka-waka until the end point of this path, causing damage to the poor Donkey Kong that was in the way.

Moreover, classic NAMCO sprites are seen helping Pac (no surprise, is something that many expected, since, Pac-Man has always been linked directly with retro games from NAMCO, as a kind of representant in the modernity of all that NAMCO had offered in the golden age of arcades), .. one of Galagas abducts Villager, and the same type of telekinesis is seen coming out of Pac's hand (maybe is a side throw?); And he also summons the Galaga Ship, a Pooka, Mappy, and Andor.. but unfortunately, no function has been demonstrated outside the Galagas.

The hydrant, a recurring obstacle in Pac-Land, is used with a similar function from Villager's Timber, ... but with the advantage of being offensive (water flows in two directions, and is seen causing damage, or at least some impact, in both Luigi and Pac-Man), defensive when thrown against the opponent, and strategic to be a nuisance on stage.

Pac can also use the infamous *Ghost Gang in his moveset: Pinky and Clyde are shown on his Down Smash (don't know yet whether it will be a random variation, or Pinky and Clyde are essentially unique to that movement); Pinky is seen again alongside Blinky on Pac's Taunt; and Blinky, alone, in what appears to be Pac-Man's Forward Smash. In the roundtable, on the fight where his revelation was made, commanded by Sakurai, Pac uses something in his Up Smash, is not identified .. but I suppose it is Inky.

His recovery comes straight the game Mappy, where the trampoline helped the little mouse reach high platforms (and curiously, is one of the only functions of Pacs moves, that has not received an 8-Bit aesthetic); other characters can use it for a limited time.. much like the Sonic's Spring or Rush with Mega Man.

*Again the complete Ghost Gang is seen in action in a scene with Diddy Kong in Wily's Castle... but it is good to note that they not contain outline as seen in Pac's attacks in other flashes in the trailer.... and they are simply floating around the stage ... this may mean that the Ghost Gang will also be an Assist Trophy (in addition to the presence of Pac moveset)?

Original attacks (or at least, so it seems .. because I don't remember Pac begin able to make them before, sorry) as a sequence of quick aerial kicks is shown against Yoshi (who ironically, was the pioneer with a move with this property), and a kick with the two legs (much like the new Bowser's Dash-Attack) is seen in action in the air, while his stage on Wii U was introduced in the trailer.
Pac can turn into his classic and simplistic interpretation in his Dash Attack, which seems to be far-reaching (really far-reaching!)

And last but not least, his Final Smash ... Hunting the 3 rival mascots on his way as Super Pac-Man, coming from the game of the same name.

-Details and Additional Notes-
The music of his trailer is a new arrangement of Pac-Man's Park from Pac-Mania (we were all correct in this one, Pac-Supporters!), and is similar to the recurrent remix in Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, with some additional 8-Bit tones at the beginning;

His theme of victory (heard in the roundtable) is the "Start Game" jingle coming from the Arcade game, but used in the same condition (victory) from the Pac-Man World series, and many of the other his platform games.

The walking animation of Pac-Man may have been based in Pac-Land, but it sure came out very similar to his movement in the GBA version of Pac-Man World 2; his jump obviously is coming from Pac-Land (with the addition of the classic sound effect, as I mentioned earlier);

Pac was the first third party guest character to receive two stages:
  • One for the 3DS version, based on the 1980 classic; where the Ghost Gang is seen again (also not known if they're part of the stage, or if they are there, again, being invoked as Assist Trophy), Pac-Dots and Power Pallets, which can be eaten by any character, causing the ghostly friends turn blue and panicking;
  • And another one on the Wii U version, based in the hardcore platform game: Pac-Land (1984), which had its debut even before Super Mario Bros. (1985); A side scrolling, starting at the Town and ending in the Fairyland with the Fairy Queen and some other fairies.

Pookas were also confirmed to be enemies in Smash Run, but, normally, Pookas are friends of Pac-Man in most of his games (even being enemies in Dig Dug).

One of the Pac's pose in Smash4 (apparently taunt or stance, and also his official artwork) was done based in one of his classic artwork, most remembered by the 30th Anniversary logo.

**The Cherry is actually seen in the Maze stage on the 3DS version, but not in his attacks in general.

Once more, the S-Flag function is still unknown... not seem to be part of Pac's moveset, since there's no outline like the other sprites of his arcenal. But judging by Pac, Peach and Kirby, can be a health item.

summary of referenced games:
  • Pac-Man World
  • Pac-Land
  • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Pac-Man World 2
  • Pac-Man World 3
  • Pac-Man
  • Galaga
  • Dig-Dug
  • Mappy
  • Xevious
  • Super Pac-Man
  • Pac-Mania
Well, that's it... maybe I'll be putting more details or images if I notice... but for now, *ahem*, thanks for the "special consideration" for a NAMCO Bandai character, blessed Sakurai! XD.. AND was the best choice, THANKS!

EDIT¹ - I just noticed, seems that the Magic Boots from Pac-Land will be in the game; I suppose that they're items; but could be a stage element, given by Fairy Queen by who reach them.

--Thanks to @ Pacack Pacack by some additional images!

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Great analysis, Cyber. I knew you'd be the perfect candidate to compile a list of the exact references seen in Pac-Man's moveset and accompanying content. There are two mistakes I should point out, though. First off, you mention that the "sequence of quick aerial kicks" has traditionally been exclusive to Yoshi, but a similar move is used by both Peach and Snake for their Down Aerial attacks as well. Second, you stated that Pac-Land was released in 1981, but it was actually released in 1984.

Anyway, great thread. I look forward to continued discussion and updates as we learn more about Pac-Man's moves and content.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Oh, I totally forgot about Peach and Snake aerial attacks, lol... sorry; But I really find ironic Yoshi getting hit by this new Pac attack. XD and the error on Pac-Land release was just a bad typo; I corrected too.

edit: Oh, and of course, Thank you; glad you liked! ^^; (what a rude pac-person I am. =P)
but there's something you'd like to add? something I missed (something more? XD)

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yep, I mentioned; .. I believe we saw just in the beginning against Mario, and after against Fox in the NSMBU stage; But I was questioning about the real property of the attack; I wasn't sure..
Hope that the Butt Bounce is somewhere in the game too;

BTW, do you guys think that the Magic Boots are items or just part of the stage?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yep, I mentioned; .. I believe we saw just in the beginning against Mario, and after against Fox in the NSMBU stage; But I was questioning about the real property of the attack; I wasn't sure..
Hope that the Butt Bounce is somewhere in the game too;

BTW, do you guys think that the Magic Boots are items or just part of the stage?
No, that's his third hit of his a combo. His up air is also the flip kick. We see it in the portion where Pac's attacking with the Galaxian.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yeah, now I can figure. It's one of the things that bugs me in his moveset (but I'd like to point better in the moveset discussion thread);

In the footage of Sakurai in the roundtable, we don't see anything new besides his edge attack and his Up Smash (I guess, with Inky);.. but his whole moveset was not shown yet, isn't it?

There's hope to me to see more references, both to the Pac-Man World series, and at least some to Pac-In-Time and Pac-Man 2.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
There are still some attacks we don't know, like his up tilt and standard air, but I think we've seen pretty much all of it at this point.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have some gifts for you @ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia

This artwork is what Pac-Man's taunt and dojo art came from:

Though I'm not positive where it originated from, it's used in Namco Museum:

And here's a comparison of Pac-Man's SSB4 jump and his Pac-Land jump for you to have in your post:

Last edited:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Excellent job! This was a very well thought out and in-depth analysis of my (so far) favorite newcomer for Super Smash Bros. 4. It's not very often that you come across somebody that knows so much about Pac-Man's history, even going beyond the arcade classics. Nice job pointing out the fact that his final smash is indeed Super Pac-Man, I didn't even notice that! Also, it would seem as though the options of the Galaga ship, Pooka, Mappy, and the Xevious boss are part of a taunt. The animations for when Pac-Man cycles through fruit/galaxian are entirely different, and the idea of throwing a giant Xevious boss at opponents just seems a bit far-fetched. Also, as somebody else pointed out in a different thread, you can actually see smoke blowing out of Pac-Man's boots as he's cycling through fruit and eventually gets to the galaxian in part of the trailer. This smoke is generally seen in charging attacks such as Luigi's Green Missile. For this reason I believe the way this move will work is that you hold down B (as this seems to be his B neutral) to cycle through a set of items, and the longer you hold it down the better the items will be. Once you release it, Pac-Man will throw whatever item he was holding. Also, when using his forward dash attack the sound effect he makes is the same one used when eating Pac-Dots in Pac-Mania.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Pac-Man's jump is the same pose he has on Pac-World, I think it is. The GameCube game. I guess it's not surprising Sakurai has such great detailing on that stuff, considering how perfect Mega Man.

At least we didn't get Creepy Uncle Pac-Man. I hope Ms. Pac-Man is his Alt.

Last edited:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man's jump is the same pose he has on Pac-World, I think it is. The GameCube game. I guess it's not surprising Sakurai has such great detailing on that stuff, considering how perfect Mega Man.

His jump is most certainly from Pac-Land; it even uses the same sound effect. In Pac-Man World 2 (the game I believe you're thinking of) he has both of his hands at his sides when he jumps, and he puts both of his legs forward mid-jump before he lands.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Great analysis, hyped for pac-man. I am really curios about his Namco Sprites, could be randow or you they follow some order before you thorw them?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Excellent job! This was a very well thought out and in-depth analysis of my (so far) favorite newcomer for Super Smash Bros. 4. It's not very often that you come across somebody that knows so much about Pac-Man's history, even going beyond the arcade classics. Nice job pointing out the fact that his final smash is indeed Super Pac-Man, I didn't even notice that! Also, it would seem as though the options of the Galaga ship, Pooka, Mappy, and the Xevious boss are part of a taunt. The animations for when Pac-Man cycles through fruit/galaxian are entirely different, and the idea of throwing a giant Xevious boss at opponents just seems a bit far-fetched. Also, as somebody else pointed out in a different thread, you can actually see smoke blowing out of Pac-Man's boots as he's cycling through fruit and eventually gets to the galaxian in part of the trailer. This smoke is generally seen in charging attacks such as Luigi's Green Missile. For this reason I believe the way this move will work is that you hold down B (as this seems to be his B neutral) to cycle through a set of items, and the longer you hold it down the better the items will be. Once you release it, Pac-Man will throw whatever item he was holding. Also, when using his forward dash attack the sound effect he makes is the same one used when eating Pac-Dots in Pac-Mania.
Really Thanks, I'm glad you liked! ^^.. but I'm sure that any other Pac-fan from Smashboards would be able to make a list of references like that; but it's really cool that Sakurai gave attention to tiny details, like the animation and sound effect of jump from Pac-Land! ^^.

And yeah, is likely that not even all the sprites he showed in the trailer, were essentially for attacks.... and definitely his pose with the Galaga ship, Pooka, Mappy and Andor was different when he summoned the fruits and the Galaxian (which, at least, were shown attacking the opponents). And the smoke is another good sign; but can turn in something completely different.. who knows? Anyway, Sakurai will teach us more about Pac during the next days, I'm sure. =)

As @ GrapeEscape GrapeEscape pointed, is actually from Pac-Land.. in the first Pac-Man World, he jumps pretty much like Wario in the Wario Land series... like using a frame of his walking animation; in Pac-Man World 2, he raises the two hands for jump.. and just in Pac-Man World 3 he jumps more like this shown in Smash4 (like Mario, with just one hand for upwards), but paying attention in how his legs are and how he stays specifically positioned, is totally referring to his sprite in Pac-Land.. just compare with the picture in the post, is perfect! 8D

but yeah, I'm totally loving the references.. I hope to see more... if not in his moveset, somehow in the game... trophies, music, stickers, anything; And I really hope for more things than just sprite based. XD.

in the subject of his Alts. .. I think that his Alts. will work like Pikachu's.. with hats..maybe shoes and gloves; and he has a bunch of these for be useful in Smash4... like brown gloves from Pac-Man 2, or even the Ghostly Adventures shoes and gloves.. the Pac-Land hat.. his knight armor in Pac 'n Roll. =D.. I'm also totally in favor of Ms. Pac-Man being in the game somehow... since she was dropped after his reboot, will be nice to see her once more.. but, I'd prefer as a Trophy.. would be turn him in a complete different character. XD

Great analysis, hyped for pac-man. I am really curios about his Namco Sprites, could be randow or you they follow some order before you thorw them?
Thanks ! ^^.. So.. I suppose that, at least the fruits, won't be random.. you will be able to choose between them.. while holding the action button.. just will be more risky.... you know, waiting for something you want, while you could use anything for see what you got.

very informing first post
you got a good list of the references made by his moves and thats what i like
Thank you! =D

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I tend to think that the pellet-eating Side B's inspired most by one of the similar maneuvers Pac uses in World 2 (I think) where he can also cross gaps or similar by keeping on eating pellets, ignoring gravity. This seems to do same except I think it's controllable?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I tend to think that the pellet-eating Side B's inspired most by one of the similar maneuvers Pac uses in World 2 (I think) where he can also cross gaps or similar by keeping on eating pellets, ignoring gravity. This seems to do same except I think it's controllable?
Ah, you mean the Pac-Dot Chain? Can be! I wouldn't be surprised if the move is exactly called like that, .. but, visually, is not a direct reference.. in the Pac-Man World series (started since the first one, but in the second got more attention, and a better visual concept) he follows eating a path of Pac-Dots in his normal form (with legs, arms and everything) starting with a red Pac-Dot (seen in Pac-Man World 2) and finishes in the air without any other sign.. here, he finishes in a Power Pallet... but, I totally see this getting, at least, the name "Pac-Dot Chain".

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You know the pose that his artwork and taunt were taken from? I have some new info on that.

It was apparently used in a ton of merchandise as early as 1991.

I'll see if I can get someone to crop the image from the wallet out so I can add it to the comparison.

Mark1

Smash Rookie
While I really like the summon concept with Pac Man's moves, did ha have this ability from another game? Or was it made just for Smash?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I really like the summon concept with Pac Man's moves, did ha have this ability from another game? Or was it made just for Smash?
Pac-Man doesn't really summon anything in his games. Though, he does often have the Ghosts helping him. Most notably in Pac-Man World 3 and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. The ghost summoning moves might be an homage to that, at least.

Using fruit as weapons is really quite strange for him, but the "fruit" from some games double as powerups too, so maybe it's a reference to that? Pac and Pal specifically has Galaxians and Rally-X cars that let Pac-Man stun the ghosts.

Top Bottom