• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overall Impression

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I played in the Boston regional nintendo tournaments a little while ago and used Meta Knight during freeplay. He was fun, but I didn't find him that great. In fact, I didn't think I'd ever use him again.

Then I played him again with the wiimote and nunchuk (my first time with that combo) and still didn't like him.

So I stuck to Pit. I love Pit's potential, and I still might main him, but...

I finall played Meta with a controller I'm comfortable with. I love him. Here's my overal impression, and I've read some similar things:

1) He's EXTREMELY light, and so he dies quite easily despite his good recovery.

2) He doesn't have wonderful killing power, but definitely better than some. I personally prefer his dsmash because it comes out lightning fast, is quite powerful and hits both sides.

3) Here's the absolute best thing, in my opinion. The delay of his air attacks are basically non-existent. You can spam uairs one after the other and at low % combo continuously. Also, they come out fast. His nair and fair hit multiple times and so missing initially usually isn't a problem.

4) He's very agile and is good at dodging, especially due to what I said in number three. If you keep to the air, missing attacks won't hurt you as bad as say...Ike (or even marth, who airs are also fast with little lag).

5) His combo ability is probably the best in the game, from what I've seen so far. Mostly due to what I said from #3 above.

6) His edgeguarding his wonderful. He's capable of following enemies off of the stage and continuing fairs or nairs to continuously knock the opponent away. Unfortunately, he can fly wonderfully far, so this is still a much bigger risk than doing the same on someone like Pit.

The only other downfall I noticed is his mediocre range on most of his attacks. His fsmash has good range, but is too slow for my taste. I had trouble adjusting to his range after playing Pit (even though Pit's range is not that much better). However, because of his mobility and nigh-nonexistent lag between attacks, I never had much trouble with his range issue.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
he doesn't have a range issue, are you smoking crack? he uses a sword. imagine how the people punching feel. :(

Staco

Smash Champion
I think DI is a good thing with metaknight =/
but other characters are as weak as him, so, its okay

Aesonus

Smash Rookie
i wouldn't call meta knight's range 'mediocre' all of his aerials have decent range with the exception of his nair (which still isnt THAT bad). meta knight is also pretty slow in the air, which he more than makes up for with his speed on the ground.

i really enjoy playing meta knight because he has many combo'ing options and possibilities, i just wish that meta knight had a good spike and better finishing moves.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I decided he's not all the agile in the air, but his good attacks make up for it. I still personally thing the range on a lot of his attacks is poor considering he has a sword, but oh well.

His uair is good, but I don't like trying to use it all the time because a lot of characters have a much better dair. With the reduced stun of the game, it sucks to get knocked flying by a good dair because you were trying to fly up and hit them. When coming from below, I usually come from the side slightly and fair/bair or I use on of his special attacks (up-b for finish or tornado attack for a little bit of damage)

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
I find that he has a range issue as well.
Sometimes you swipe thinking you're going to KO and you come up just short.
I guess it just takes some adjusting.
I love him because once you get the opponent off the edge you can freely attack them knowing that you will be able to recover. (Using Up-B to recover also scores a strong hit)

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
It didn't take very long to adjust to his range, and now that I have, my friends hate him :p

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
Yes, Meta-knight is a joy to play on and his range is at times an issue when facing off Fox's lasers and Pit's arrows but you can always find a way around it.
I enjoy his many multi-hit combos and aerial attack.

Top Bottom