• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OU Burst

Inserio

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-8131-4530
So probably about half the time I respawn, I charge offense up. Some of the people I've been playing against have tried finding ways to challenge it. Originally, I told them it was pointless and that I'd punish them with burst. I've figured out that they can space outside of it or just bait it out and shield.

That's not the point of this thread though. My problem has been happening often lately where I use burst and then it both gets stuffed and I lose my charge. I am aware that there are supposed to be invincibility frames, but I swear there aren't enough.

I realize most people would raise an eyebrow if you claimed Lucas needed a buff, but this is a bit absurd to me. I'm okay with burst being able to be stuffed, but why lose the charge if the hitbox never came out? (For the record, when this happens the attacks do not trade). Also, the same loss of charge happens when any smash attack is stuffed similarly. So if anyone in the PMBR reads this, was that an intentional occurrence or an oversight?

I'd also love to hear other inputs people have on the matter.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I can understand the desire to buff this move, I've been implementing it into my game more and more lately and every time that happens the move feels like there's more to be desired, like it was kinda just an after-thought and just thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, when it works as intended, it's lovely, however, if there's invuln frame(s) then the move shouldn't get beat and you lose the charge.

As far as BUFFING goes, I don't think it'd be a buff so much as fixing the functionality of the move. Otherwise it'll remain a risky option that can get beat AND miss at near point blank range.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I think it's fine. It requires skillful use, it'd be broken if it didnt. The invincibility could never be long enough to outlast several lingering hitboxes, nor is this an intended use of the move, and a frame 1 invincible move is really dumb and excessive (hence fox/falco shine invincibility removal).

Last edited:
I agree with Burnsy. The move right now is used as a mixup or a combo extender, and so it should be used wisely to manage the invincibility frames it does have. I think that the point of the charge for the smashes (or even the burst) is high-risk high-reward, so being stuffed is just either your opponent's skill or you misplacing one of the moves.

I don't really know about trading since I don't know the priority property of anything other than Lucas' sparks, so I can't speak to that.

@ Burnsy Burnsy did they removed the invincibility of those two's shines?

Inserio

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-8131-4530
Okay, but do you think it's fair if you lose the charge when it gets stuffed? Technically it's as if the move never happened, as far as I can see. So why add insult to injury?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yes, because you tried to initiate it at an unsafe time. Again, I'm trying to underscore "skilled" usage; you should only be using this move when you KNOW it is going to hit, otherwise

1. You lose your charge
2. You'll probably be hit during the lag

Does this punishment justify the mistake? Well, a frame 2 invincible defensive maneuver that also does damage and gives the player the chance to reverse the match momentum is a very power option, and misusing very power options should be attached to severe consequences. Moreover, Lucas' Burst (and OU in general) is more of a extra tool he gets from playing well rather than something central to the characters success, so I don't think him losing it from making mistakes is really a problem that needs fixing. You should be using it on reaction instead of anticipation, it's fast enough for you to. If they are punishing you too hard for charging, then charge after you get a kill or hit them offstage. It's not worth risking the OU burst if they know how to bait or beat it out.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
The only time I get "frustrated" or disappointed is when I use it as a "combo breaker" and it fails by me using it and I'm still getting hit .

Other than that, I love OU Burst as a combo extender.
There is no better feeling than doing a combo on stage and then OU Bursting in the air followed by a back air, airdodge into tether and recover as your opponent is smashed into their death.

Top Bottom