• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Other M move changes

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I liked Other M, but I'll confess that it's actually the only Metroid game I've played, apart from a couple of minutes each of the original and Prime. Not that it didn't have flaws, but those are well documented and there's no point in me raising them here.

If they wanted to include more Other M in Samus' moveset they could always give her the Space Jump as a recovery. With Kirby, Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, Pit, King Dedede and Charizard all getting multi jumps, what's one more?

Multi-lock super missiles? Would need to give it a charge time and slow recovery to keep it reasonable, but it's doable.

Power bomb could be fun.

Or they could take the easy way and just change the colour of the grapple beam.
You Metroid newbism shows, young one. :laugh: No offense, of course.

Pretty much everything you mentioned is a Metroid staple, rather than being an Other M exclusive. Other M is rather notorious for not introducing a single new upgrade, if I'm not horribly mistaken.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The only two new upgrades were the Gravity Feature (which basically just retconned the Gravity Suit) and the Diffusion Beam (which is basically a combination and successor of the Diffusion Missile and the Scattershot Dark Samus had).

That reminds me, do want Gravity Other M Suit.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The only two new upgrades were the Gravity Feature (which basically just retconned the Gravity Suit)
I remember reading that Sakamoto's reasoning for removing the Gravity Suit was that "It would look silly for Samus to be standing around in a purple suit".

Yes, seriously. Like, they'd already drawn her model up wearing the actual Gravity Suit and he said that it looked silly. I just...I just don't even.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Power Bomb would be mental lol.

I'd like to see her use Sensemove to side-dodge. Much quicker and flashier.
This. I wouldn't mind most of her dodge animations involving the Sense Move, actually.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
This. I wouldn't mind most of her dodge animations involving the Sense Move, actually.
Yeah, I would like to see Samus be much faster. They seem to be giving the heavyweights the speed treatment this time around (see Bowser), so I wouldn't be surprised if she did get a nice speed boost.

On that topic, I really really want Ganondorf to have a more relevant moveset and physics. Maybe give him his trident, I don't know. He's an accomplished swordsman and magic-user. His incarnations thus far really don't do him justice at all. If anyone needs a revamp, it's this guy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Project M has the Lock-On Dash from the Prime series as her dodge-roll, and I really like it. Very no-nonsense, very quick, and much better than the Morph Ball dodge. I always thought Samus doing super-acrobatic stuff in her suit looked awkward.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
You Metroid newbism shows, young one. :laugh: No offense, of course.

Pretty much everything you mentioned is a Metroid staple, rather than being an Other M exclusive. Other M is rather notorious for not introducing a single new upgrade, if I'm not horribly mistaken.
Fair enough, I was just thinking of things that were in Other M that weren't in Brawl.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm certainly all for seeing more of Samus's power-ups than the norm, though. Seeing a few of them make an appearance would make my day.

The easiest one to implement would obviously be the Space Jump, simply by giving her multiple jumps, though I'm not sure what kind of effect that would have on her character. I've wanted to see the Speed Booster/ShineSpark for a while, though. I'm curious as to how it would work.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Project M has the Lock-On Dash from the Prime series as her dodge-roll, and I really like it. Very no-nonsense, very quick, and much better than the Morph Ball dodge. I always thought Samus doing super-acrobatic stuff in her suit looked awkward.
Yeah, I like it too.

Huh, I always thought Samus doing super-acrobatic stuff in her suit was sexy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Certainly wouldn't mind the lock-on dash either, though I guess to be fair, a lot of things would be better than the morph ball dodge.

I'm certainly all for seeing more of Samus's power-ups than the norm, though. Seeing a few of them make an appearance would make my day.

The easiest one to implement would obviously be the Space Jump, simply by giving her multiple jumps, though I'm not sure what kind of effect that would have on her character. I've wanted to see the Speed Booster/ShineSpark for a while, though. I'm curious as to how it would work.
If anything, I think the Boost Ball would be easier to implement on the subject of Samus's speedy techs.

Top Bottom