• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options _after_ ledge AI

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I've been practicing AI from ledge and such, but what are the best options after the AI? Let's say for concreteness, vs the following characters, in the following situations:

Fox, falco, sheik, marth, falcon, peach
when
  1. crouching at low% right beside ledge
  2. shielding right beside ledge
  3. neutral stance, just outside ledgehop fair range
  4. mid-stage (possibly: with needles charging for sheik, or turnip pulled for peach)
Marth with dtilt and Sheik with needles seem the most annoying to get up against on average, and would probably warrant AI -> shield every time. (An unrelated point is that I don't know what to do after getting dtilted on shield in the corner, but that's another discussion.)

Character-agnostically, it seems at first glance to me that:
  1. AI -> shield might be best, or maaaaaybe AI -> upb? (but that could get cc'd.) What about AI -> dsmash?
  2. AI -> wavedash through? or just ledgedash lol
  3. AI -> shield, or maybe ftilt at higher %?
  4. AI -> shield if they have a projectile, otherwise AI -> wd forward ftilt?
but I'm probably super wrong about a bunch of these :) Any ideas?

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
Mixing up haxdash with AI is good against a campy sheik throwing needles at the ledge. I also like to do haxdash -> jump again before I grab the ledge or AI -> jump with an aerial if someone is camping with needles or on a platform above you or something like that.

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
With a Sheik charging needles at center stage, my preferred option would be to:
1. Jump onto stage
2. Waveland back off the stage
3. Immediate jump
4. Airdodge to the platform
I cant say for sure, but if this were done perfectly there would probably be minimal vulnerability.

I would also never shield while fully invincible onstage from an AI. I'd either start rapid jabbing as pressure or I'd do a running wavedash / jump out of there.

If they're just outside of Ledgehop Fair range, then I'd say go for AI Ftilt.

If you think they're feening for a shield grab (Captain Falcon? Sheik?), then an AI / No Impact Land into a grab would be swell. But that requires a read / Rock Paper Scissors nonsense.

Litt

Samus
With a Sheik charging needles at center stage, my preferred option would be to:
1. Jump onto stage
2. Waveland back off the stage
3. Immediate jump
4. Airdodge to the platform
I cant say for sure, but if this were done perfectly there would probably be minimal vulnerability.

I would also never shield while fully invincible onstage from an AI. I'd either start rapid jabbing as pressure or I'd do a running wavedash / jump out of there.

If they're just outside of Ledgehop Fair range, then I'd say go for AI Ftilt.

If you think they're feening for a shield grab (Captain Falcon? Sheik?), then an AI / No Impact Land into a grab would be swell. But that requires a read / Rock Paper Scissors nonsense.
You can dj into bomb on lip of stage if you feel unthreatened by an approach just to see what they will do against it, and if nothing you can dj into zair on to ledge canceled by the bomb into anything you want really, my favorite is an angled slightly twaords the stage rising grapple, so you retain your 2nd jump after the zair cancel from the bomb, and from there you can nair, dj waveland on play, fast fall up air, airdodge back to ledge, ect,... you get the point

Last edited:
Top Bottom