• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimizing Ryu's Nair

oc0267

Smash Rookie
Hello. I've seen plenty of Ryu tournament sets, many which would inevitably include a light up tilt setup into a potential follow up from a nair. The majority of these nairs involve the player tapping the left stick forward then performing the nair to carry momentum. This seems fine to do, but I believe there is a better way to nair in this situation. Although tricky to get the timing down, I find it more applicable to (out of a standing position):

press X/Y and A (no direction), THEN input left/right during Ryu's 5 jumpsquat frames. The timing is relatively strict, since pressing the direction too soon will result in a fair/bair, and being too late results in a nair with hardly any forward velocity (courtesy of Ryu's air friction).

This may seem pretty useless, but some ways this can overrule nair-ing after a dash are: attempting a nair from light up tilt when the opponent's too close to you (i.e. you will be too far after the dash to land the nair successfully, resulting in a whiff or a reverse hitbox), and when trying to nair OoS (where it is not possible to perform the dash without ~7 frames of shield drop frames getting in the way).

As a final note, this method may be applied to up air and dair, but I have not tested this. I believe that although this may not be such a game breaking tech for Ryu, it sure can at least optimize his combo game and OoS game for the better.

Top Bottom