• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on 3.5 Falco

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Anyone feel like their main character has a change that wasn't mentioned in the PMDT's changelist?

I have a couple concerns about Falco that weren't mentioned in the PMDT's changelist, so please feel free to agree or disagree if you feel the same way about my concerns (more like opinion). If you're a Falco player, I'd greatly appreciate your opinion and what you feel about his 3.02 versus his 3.5 version. His changelist can be found here.

Wavedash
Falco's wavedash in 3.02 was really easy to do, to the point I surf wavedash with him. However, in 3.5 it feels like the timing increased a bit. It's not really a problem to me, but it just feels like I have to adjust my timing quicker now to surf wavedash. Maybe that's not the case, and I'm just overthinking it.

Also, am I the only one seeing double-jump rings below Falco when a perfect wavedash is performed? I'm pretty sure Melee and PM 3.02 only shows white puffs. Not sure if this is an aesthetic bug, but it looks pretty unappealing. I'll accept it as it is, though.

Double Jump / Full Hop Lasers
Okay, so I love using his double-jump and full-hop lasers while my opponents are high offstage to give pressure. Am I the only one who thinks his double-jump and full-hop laser game is more stiff and fast? I could literally time different heights for the lasers in 3.02, but it just feels harder in 3.5. I feel like his jump is the problem, not the lasers.

Ex: Whenever I jump towards the right and perform a full-hop triple laser in 3.02, I can usually stop his horizontal momentum in the air. If I jump towards the right and do the same thing in 3.5, it feels much harder to stop his horizontal momentum.

In general, his 3.5 jump feels a little stiff and rushed as compared to 3.02.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

his only changes were to just to make him feel more like melee. I actually think his wavedash 'feels' much better in this patch compared to 3.02.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Can you still SDi his uthrow?
@Shippage not quite friend. They nerfed his dair. The sweet spots lasts 4 frames instead of 10 and the hitbox was made smaller. I don't know if in Melee the hitbox is the same, but in debuf mode, you see the hitbox disappear from his feet, and your left with the one.. In his crouch. I guess that's the sourpatch but still, it's a nerf and I'm sure he will be effected by such.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think his Up+B is better by virtue of being accurate. I am almost positive that before it went even less far than it did in Melee prior to this update.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Falco received one notable buff and one notable nerf. His up b is now meleefied, which is great. That, along with the nerfed recoveries for the cast means that Falco wont be the only character that spawns at kill %. His PAL dair is a nerf, but i feel that if youre pillaring correctly you should hardly notice it.

Synth177

Smash Rookie
his PAL dair is a meteor - I believe his PM dair is still a spike.
Pal dair was still a spike but you have to hit with it during the first half of the move or it'll send them at a dumb angle.

D

Deleted member

his PAL dair is a meteor - I believe his PM dair is still a spike.
the changelog only mentions changing dairs sweetspot and lingering hitbox, not that it's exactly his PAL dair. I don't think it's spike properties have been changed just that it's slightly harder to land now.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I guess it's pseudo PAL Dair sort of. It doesn't meteor at the end perse but it's harder (slightly) to hit with later and it's a bit weaker, but it still spikes! Well that's good to know!

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
the changelog only mentions changing dairs sweetspot and lingering hitbox, not that it's exactly his PAL dair. I don't think it's spike properties have been changed just that it's slightly harder to land now.
That's what I was thinking. I was reading Falco's changelist, and it never said anything about his D-Air lingering hitbox losing its spike property. I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed is that his lingering hitbox just does 1 less damage, which I would hardly call a change. The lingering hitbox being moved upward is hardly an issue for me.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Can you still SDi his uthrow?
@Shippage not quite friend. They nerfed his dair. The sweet spots lasts 4 frames instead of 10 and the hitbox was made smaller. I don't know if in Melee the hitbox is the same, but in debuf mode, you see the hitbox disappear from his feet, and your left with the one.. In his crouch. I guess that's the sourpatch but still, it's a nerf and I'm sure he will be effected by such.
Is the lingering hitbox really near his hip area? I haven't tried debug mode, yet.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
So I have a request to all Falco players. For those of you who have used full-hop triple lasers and double-jump lasers, keep in mind how it felt like in 3.02.

Request
Going towards one side of the stage, perform continuous double-jump lasers and full-hop triple lasers. Tell me how it feels.

In 3.02, I could literally perform double-jump lasers without messing up. However, in 3.5 it feels like his jump feels really rushed. If I keep performing double jump lasers from one side of the stage to the other, I could literally feel his stiffness. It felt slow (still fast) and smooth in 3.02. Tell me what your thoughts on this after you perform it yourself.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
@AXE 09 I'd really appreciate your perspective on Falco. I know you performed a lot of double-jump and full-hop triple lasers in 3.02, so can you tell me how it feels like in 3.5?

Windstar120025

Smash Apprentice
im concerned on why his pillaring is so easy to do now, it feels like his "NERFS" did nuthing but buff him

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
im concerned on why his pillaring is so easy to do now, it feels like his "NERFS" did nuthing but buff him
Falco's pillar combos (if you talk d-air to shine combo) feel the same to me. Maybe it feels easier to perform pillar combos because his lingering hitbox was moved up? Falco's hitbox being moved up means his d-air will hit sooner after a shine.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
As a sidenote, Falco apparently lost his gatling combo (dash attack to upsmash) it doesnt really matter though tbh, Falco feels solid in 3.5. Id say hes easily top 10, possibly top 5 in the game.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone notice the timing change for Falco to perform b-air -> jump -> b-air in the air? In 3.02 I could perform a b-air before reaching his jump peak, then quickly perform a second jump another b-air. In 3.5 however, I do my first b-air before reaching his jump peak, but then the timing to do a second jump seemed longer.

I hope whoever did Falco's rework and changelist will add whatever information is missing, because there's obviously been some changes that's not mentioned in his changelist.

Last edited:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I thought bair seemed a bit laggier as well. Wouldn't have mentioned it if someone else hadn't first, though.

-Down aerial sweetspot duration decreased from 10 frames to 4.
-Down aerial lingering hitbox size decreased and moved upwards slightly.

Overall, this makes it slightly easier to hit with weak dairs in pillar combos at mid-high percent. It's a very minor positive tradeoff in exchange for reducing its silly kill potential and making it less spammy on stage.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
I thought bair seemed a bit laggier as well. Wouldn't have mentioned it if someone else hadn't first, though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Falco's b-air definitely seems laggier. In 3.02 I could perform a b-air into his second jump before he even starts falling from his jump peak. In 3.5, I end up falling a bit from his jump peak before I can even perform my second jump.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Falco's b-air definitely seems laggier. In 3.02 I could perform a b-air into his second jump before he even starts falling from his jump peak. In 3.5, I end up falling a bit from his jump peak before I can even perform my second jump.
Interesting, these possible hidden changes.

Top Bottom