• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinion: while improved, link will never be competitive.

8bit.Trotz

Smash Cadet
(Apparently off topic on other link board, so voila)

Hey guys.
First off I wanna say, that if you're reading this thread, on this board, I respect the hell out of you.
I admire my fellow Link players because unlike the gimmicky or upper tier characters, we need to be so damn precise and workmanlike to earn our kills and our wins. So props to you all.

That being said, I truly believe that in time, as the metagame continues to progress, the general consensus on link will be: "improved", but not viable. As a link vet, to hear some people argue with conviction that he's top 10, or that anyone who brings up his faults just needs to zone better/ be smarter with projectiles / infuriates the hell out of me, as I truly wonder if they've encountered enough high level players that know how to easily exploit his glaring weaknesses.

He is indeed improved, and definitely the strongest he's been - the issue is that he's not the only fighter to have done so and unfortunately his scale relative to the competition simply hasn't kept up.

I've ranted on before about one of his main weaknesses, in lack of reliable kill moves. In short I truly believe that he has a single one. His d smash. Ftilt can also punish at high percentages, but as a go to kill move, the DSmash holds too many advantages over his other options. Usmash needs to be very precise to punish the forward roll, but is extremely risky because of it's frames. Forward smash has both long starting frames and whiffs on the killing blow more than half the time especially if your opponent is light (which most of his terrible matchup to begin with are) - not reliable at all. Spin attack, absolutely useless with pathetic knock back and risk reward. Dair wouldn't be able to skewer a goldeen this time around, and his dash attack is probably the most disappointing move in his entire arsenal - if you manage to kill with the dash attack, congrats. Your opponent mistimed his shield/air dodge. It won't happen again.

Now the inability to effectively kill wouldn't be so bad if Link, like countless other characters actually had the ability to finish off the job once his opponent is knocked off stage. This.... THIS is what I've realized it all boils down to. The very fact that after racking up damage, and finally knocking that (advanced) opponent off, there's nothing you can do against way too many members of the cast. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the average player here who'll predictably set up a perfect opportunity for a dair spike or fair... Like his struggles on the ground, there's no viable option to fight off stage - the risk/reward simply isn't in his favour. far, FAR from it. This results in opponents making it back much too easily, then rinse and repeat.
We've all been there. Facing decent players at 150% that you just know will take perfect planning to finally KO without a chance of a comeback. There's no easy kills with link.. It's a constant battle of attrition.

Finally to top it all off, after having worked tirelessly to get your kill, guess what.
You get knocked off stage at 70 percent because you misstimed your smash... You're facing, rob, Mario, falcon, lucina, pit, diddy, luigi, Yoshi, shulk, etc etc....you're momentum is stopped. You're a goner.

Much has been said about Link's improved recovery - and I agree that it is much improved. Unfortunately spraying a turd with febreeze won't make it smell much better. It'll still ****ing stink.
Now , I'm not talking about his survivability after being knocked off, because I really do think the momentum that he gains after D.I.ing is incredibly solid. That's not the issue. The issue is predictability. PREDICTABILITY. If you're fortunate enough to have been knocked out high, great he has options. But the minute the clawshot isn't an option, is the minute he's done against a good opponent, who'll be waiting there to punish you on the last frames of your spin, or before it starts, or simply by priority (which several characters have). You can't be crafty with Link, and any player worth his salt knows this. The off stage options of far too many characters is extremely scary for any fighter with a predictable comeback, and link is among the most punishable in the game.

I think these 3 main factors sum up the problem with my good ol ' main.
He can't finish the Job well on 2 fronts and can be easily finished off at moderate percentages by a load of bad matchups or players that simply know how he functions. The odds when fighting opponents of equal/greater skill are simply stacked against him.

But hey, I LOVE his air game. Shame the ever amazing nairs, bairs, and zairs, are useless without the ability to wrap things up.

Sorry for the rant,
I hope I'll get some honest agreements instead of what link players are used to hearing...
ZONE BETTER. KEEP MOVING WITH YOUR PROJECTILES. SWITCH IT UP.
Been there, done that, still do ;)

Edit: yes, I have seen great links in guys like Kirin, or brimeZ... Inspiring stuff, but still not good enough.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I dunno, dude, Link has gotten some serious improvements from the last game. I mean, in the last game we were, what, second to last on the tier list? Now were actually like mid-tier. Our recovery is SO much better this time around. Spin attack actually goes somewhere now. And the hookshot can actually grab onto walls!! Combine this with a airdodge towards the stage and our recovery is amazing.

Our projectile game got even better with the addition of the bow and arrow.

And I'm not sure what your problem is with spin attack. The semi-spike is amazing and more than enough to finish off most foes.

His aerials are great and Dair is pretty dang powerful and has minimal ending lag when you l cancel.

Of course, we're probably gonna have trouble going up against characters like Fox. I think we'll do better than young link though. But that's just my opinion.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Dude, the new bow and arrow blew my mind. Seriously, that's all I could have asked for. I mean, we already had a rang and bombs and that was awesome, but now arrows too? Imagine all we can do with that. Also, there's something interesting about Link's nair now, I think it has a lot of potential. Like seriously, it stops everything. I think I'll start spamming it and see where that goes.

Also, try throwing a bomb and then upB into the bomb. You get hit by it. I feel this can really be used to improve our recovery tremendously.

8bit.Trotz

Smash Cadet
Dude, the new bow and arrow blew my mind. Seriously, that's all I could have asked for. I mean, we already had a rang and bombs and that was awesome, but now arrows too? Imagine all we can do with that. Also, there's something interesting about Link's nair now, I think it has a lot of potential. Like seriously, it stops everything. I think I'll start spamming it and see where that goes.

Also, try throwing a bomb and then upB into the bomb. You get hit by it. I feel this can really be used to improve our recovery tremendously.
Elessar you locked my first thread and accused me of trolling. Why so uptight?

I posted this on this form becayse when you google "link smashboards" this is the forum that pops up. Didn't realize it was brawl. navigating these forums on mobile can be triicky. I don't troll.
Would appreciate if you can unlock it. I'm sure you can tell it'll bring up good discussion.

Disappointing stuff man. :(

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Elessar you locked my first thread and accused me of trolling. Why so uptight?

I posted this on this form becayse when you google "link smashboards" this is the forum that pops up. Didn't realize it was brawl. navigating these forums on mobile can be triicky. I don't troll.
Would appreciate if you can unlock it. I'm sure you can tell it'll bring up good discussion.

Disappointing stuff man. :(
Sorry, can't unlock it since it'll just invite more trolling. Look read the rules and survival tips. Then if you really want to foster discussion about how viable Link is try going about it in a way that sounds less...whiney. Link mains don't take kindly to qqers and posting a thread that sounds over all negative rather than informative will be met with flames or trolling. You got lucky and got trolled.

Trust me, just go hang out in Social a bit, chat there a bit, maybe ask your question in Q&A, and you'll be fine. Heck, if you really want to create a new thread to talk about this try to use a decent neutral title and write your OP without coming off as a complaint.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Yup. You got it right and really that's the way it will be now and in the future.

Ironically most people who insist Link is better in this game aren't actually Link mains. Link in this game completely depends on playing solid to win. So far it looks like Brawl Link is the better Link. The changes and removal of his cancels has further lowered his skill cap, taken away even more options and weakened the character's competitive value.

Probably best to main a high tier and keep Link as a secondary for those few favourable or preferred matchups...

Smash Rookie
It seems to me that Link has amazing KO moves. All of his smash moves and his up special work well, and I see it as one of his assets in Brawl.

sijon

Smash Ace
Yup. You got it right and really that's the way it will be now and in the future.

Ironically most people who insist Link is better in this game aren't actually Link mains. Link in this game completely depends on playing solid to win. So far it looks like Brawl Link is the better Link. The changes and removal of his cancels has further lowered his skill cap, taken away even more options and weakened the character's competitive value.

Probably best to main a high tier and keep Link as a secondary for those few favourable or preferred matchups...
I agree with you there a 100%, Link just can't keep up with all the characters in Smash 4 who are usually fast and rely on d-throw combos to u-air etc.

H4Xcaster

Smash Rookie
I think i am so good with :link: ,but some people want to dirt his name

Last edited:

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
Link cannot, in any game, be played at a top level in any game with a couple exceptions (Isai in 64, is one). He simply lacks a good grab and anything into it and out of it. He has a gimpable recovery, low combo potential, and projectle camping can be countered and punished. IMO, regardless of which version is strongest, it doesn't matter that much.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Link cannot, in any game, be played at a top level in any game with a couple exceptions (Isai in 64, is one). He simply lacks a good grab and anything into it and out of it. He has a gimpable recovery, low combo potential, and projectle camping can be countered and punished. IMO, regardless of which version is strongest, it doesn't matter that much.
Link's combo potential is not low at all. I think people only think this because he isn't like Toon Link.

Top Bottom