• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Laser Wolf

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
What are the most useful ways to use wolfs laser? I am still fairly new to this character (maybe 100 computer matches and a couple friendlies) but one use I have found is that wolf can laser similar to how samus can missile cancel (Samus short hop missile land cancel into another missile). For wolf, the animation is cancelled when you wave land making it somewhat of a burst fire like samus missiles. Also, another tidbit is I have found that Falco lasers do not beat out wolf laser. Meaning, they don't interact and sort of just go through each other, hit boxes intact.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Ill just throw my laser notes in here.

bayonet hitbox out frame 11 above wolf. frame 12 is first frame in front of wolf.
Laser comes out frame 15.
Airdodge is available frame 15
The shortest possible total amount of lag with the earliest canceled landing is 19-23 frames of startup and 8-4 frames of endlag respectively. This is with a fastfall on the 17th airborne frame. this is excluding edge cancels and platforms in genera.

Wolfs laser has essentially two uses. Controlling space and extending combos.

-Controlling space
Wolfs laser is fairly versatile when it comes to it's applications in neutral. It can be used just like fox lasers and just like falco lasers although it those roles it's performance is mediocre. Where it really shines is it's ability to force opponents to commit to an action. Think of it like a canceled hadouken from SF. When wolf does not threaten pressure from behind the laser they can be easily dealt with, either by clanking, ccing or shielding them. Because of the speed that they can be fired, and because of wolf's unhindered movement while doing so makes them good at forcing an action out of the opponent.

By combing wolfs lasers with platform edgecancels wolf can laser faster than normal, similar to samus' missle cancels.

Lasers can be difficult to utilize effectively, as low perfect lasers are difficult to time.

There is a degree of lag associated with the startup of the laser, which makes their use at extremely close range risky, and if your opponent anticipates your laser or just happens to be swinging, expect to take a hit. This means that after the first laser, successive lasers are less risky which correlates to their high effectiveness in volleys. This is somewhat lessened by the presence of the bayonet hitbox.

The bayonet is a good spacing tool in its own right and shouldn't be ignored. it has some disjoint and often works as a good pressure and combo tool.

Wolf's lasers do well against many projectiles in projectile wars, but preform poorly against others. Combined with wolfs excellent movement and the bayonet hitbox wolf completely shuts down the projectile of characters like ivy and samus but completely looses out to characters like falco.

The opponent has many choices for dealing with lasers, many more than other projectiles, and this is their main downfall. They can be clanked, cc'd, shielded, reflected, absorbed, dodged, and due to their slower speed and awkward height when incorrectly timed just outright avoided. Understanding the options your opponent is likely to choose when pressured with lasers and how to safely contest those options is important.

Lasers can be clanked in two ways. A grounded clank, and an aerial clank. Grounded clanks are much easier to punish due to the fact that the opponent goes into rebound unless the attack does more than 17 percent, and often can be punished on reaction. aerial clanking is much harder to punish because the opponents hitbox will stay out and hit you if you attempt to rush in.

If a laser is cc'd the opponent will be left with 8 frames of total lag, regardless of percent. making it unpunishable except in certain situations at close range with perfect execution. Keep in mind that the bayonet is also ccable.

Shielded lasers when fresh will result in 9 frames of shield stun.

Lasers are extremely uselful from the ledge and can serve to safely poke standing opponents and launch combos.

-Combos
When cc'd lasers can be confirmed into basically any move as long as the opponent does not crouch cancel, including side b.

lasers can be used to true combo midweight characters out of shine and into an aerial or another shine at 0 percent. works on fastfallers and heavies at later percents.
Tested on lucario with no di and no staling multipliers.
ON a flat surface
shine->laser-> follow up works from 0 to 40 ish percent depending on laser height
with a platform this works until over 100 percent

Also can true combo out of downair past 60 percent on most characters.

Lasers are most useful in combos to string no combo hits together, as they offer little risk and allow wolf to cover escape options.

Lasers are extremely useful during techchases to cover options.

Laser can be used to jab reset.

The bayonet will often yank opponents out from above wolf and throw them into the laser.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
I just did better than usual at a tourney and a big part of why I did well was because I just hung out near the oppoennt
obviously what else am I gon do but shoot lasers when I'm just hanging out?
So lasers when hanging out is pretty cool

Top Bottom