• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OpenMelee2D aka Super Smash Land in UE4

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
A few weeks ago I had the idea of reworking Super Smash Land completely under UE4, I'm currently working in another 2D project with a bunch of people, so I wanted to get familiar with the tools and the way they work in a direct manner by working on a game, I am not an artist and because of that I just couldn't make my own assets for testing, I asked to Dan Fornace on twitter about it and he gave me the green light.

So I immediately thought of Super Smash Land, while it was a great game, it had a lot of things that I didn't like, and I figured out it would be fun to port it to UE4 and make it open source so people could build upon it and create great things.
The reason why it's called OpenMelee2D is because, well, I like melee, and I wanted melee to serve as the base for the game's mechanics, in it's current state, all grounded attacks are used as aerials and specials are not yet implemented, my idea is to implement as much Melee stuff as I can, of course since this is an open source project anyone can help.

Here's a rough TODO:
(Green means done, Yellow means high prority, red means not done and orange means I'm not too sure about doing it).
Basic Movement
A Attack Handling
Dying

Stocks
New Sprites For Aerials
Special Attack Handling
Grounded Versions of Specials

Multiple Character Handling
Wavedashing
Air-Dodging

Shielding
Ledge Grabbing

L-Cancelling (The game currently cancels any animation when you land).
Landing animations.
Stage Specific Shenanigans
DI

Map Editor
Balance
GameCube Controller Support ( I really need to dive into dolphin source code ).

Add Sakurai Formulas Everywhere
Linux And Mac
CSS, Menus and other stuff

I also heard you guys really like screenshots and demos, so there we go, in videos, remember that there is no balance in yet, so hitstun damage and knocback will be change acordingly to what experienced users think.

(DEBUG MODE)
Links, downloads, and stuff

I don't have 10 posts yet, so you'll need to ask for this stuff on my inbox I guess.
Test Version Download (SOON(TM))
Github
Stream.

Last edited:

Lowell

Smash Rookie
Well let's do something about that under ten posts lol. So if you're planning on adding wavedashing are you ditching the two button motif?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Well let's do something about that under ten posts lol. So if you're planning on adding wavedashing are you ditching the two button motif?
What do you mean with two button motif?, wavedashing is going to be easier to be done than in melee, you can wavedash exactly the same way from any time during the jumping animation, and you can of course waveland too.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Updated with a video of wavedashing and air dodging, as always if you want the build send me a PM as I don't have ten messages.

Last edited:

Lowell

Smash Rookie
What do you mean with two button motif?, wavedashing is going to be easier to be done than in melee, you can wavedash exactly the same way from any time during the jumping animation, and you can of course waveland too.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, in super smash land it was meant to be on the gameboy so you only had the a and the b buttons for attack and jump then the d pad for movement of course, but I can infer that that will not remain.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I wasn't clear, in super smash land it was meant to be on the gameboy so you only had the a and the b buttons for attack and jump then the d pad for movement of course, but I can infer that that will not remain.
I don't want to be limited, so yeah, no two button thing, and control stick.

Top Bottom