• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Smash help for a noob

gatekeep3r

Smash Rookie
So I've been combing through the forums trying to find out how to play smash 64 online. From what I understand I need to download Project 64 and then a Smash 64 ROM. This is where the guides have been losing me. What is a ROM and where do I find one? I'm not a computer science guy and don't have experience with emulators. Any advice would be helpful

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
To skip over all the details, the ROM is basically the game file the emulator loads. If you google "ssb64 rom", the first link should give you the correct rom. Cnce You download it, place it in a folder because you need the emulator to search for ROMs in a specific folder.

greenDino

Smash Rookie
the rom is the gamefile, this gamefile is only LEGAL if you have the game cartridge in your hands right now, if you don't then downloading the game ROM is ilegal.
it works the same way as the PS BIOS scph1001.bin,

D

Deleted member

the rom is the gamefile, this gamefile is only LEGAL if you have the game cartridge in your hands right now, if you don't then downloading the game ROM is ilegal.
it works the same way as the PS BIOS scph1001.bin,
dino check your pms ^_^

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Was it too hard to google Super Smash Bros 64 Rom? Guess so.

D

Deleted member

LOL do you want the player base to grow or not?
If you mean by using illegal roms and playing with keyboards/other joysticks than n64 (cheating), then absolutely not.

Last edited by a moderator:

westcoasthaze

Smash Rookie
So if we've gotten that far, what's next? The kaillera client has no active download location so I had to download AQZ netplay which I have installed but have never been able to connect to a server. Are servers only 'up' during active competitions and stuff?

D

Deleted member

So if we've gotten that far, what's next? The kaillera client has no active download location so I had to download AQZ netplay which I have installed but have never been able to connect to a server. Are servers only 'up' during active competitions and stuff?
Get mupen and you can aqz via hamachi.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
AQZ like P2P requires port forwarding or using hamachi, and you have to be on the same exact emulator with same save data as each other to play AQZ.

What do you mean kaillera client has no active download location? I don't see how you've went this long without figuring out how to use kaillera.

westcoasthaze

Smash Rookie
AQZ like P2P requires port forwarding or using hamachi, and you have to be on the same exact emulator with same save data as each other to play AQZ.

What do you mean kaillera client has no active download location? I don't see how you've went this long without figuring out how to use kaillera.
All the links for kaillera download are dead

Uair

Banned via Warnings
All the links for kaillera download are dead
Google pj64k and the first link has all the information about kaillera and how to use pj64k and how it works. That blogspot site is legit and has been up for years.

Top Bottom