• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One time shot or forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

We can't really determine Gekkouga's chances of returning until Pokémon X & Y ends its generation and we know the impact that Gekkouga had.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's also worth noting that technically, Greninja's already been in two Smash games once these are released.

Yeah...

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
We can't really determine Gekkouga's chances of returning until Pokémon X & Y ends its generation and we know the impact that Gekkouga had.
Unless the meta shifts drastically, Protean Greninja will be among the kings of competitive forever. I think that's one of the things that makes Greninja special among the other smash pokemon. His popularity comes from a genuine fanbase without official promotion like Lucario, he has an excellent design that lends itself well to a game like Smash, and he's very, VERY popular among competitive battlers(Charizard was trash tier until he got a mega). I can easily see him being the most remembered from Generation 6, and I think he has a pretty good shot at staying in Smash for a long time. If Lucario can do it, Greninja most definitely can.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah. And major things did happen.

Lucario became an icon. Greninja has a lot of catching up to do.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as of this point, Greninja is nowhere near being an icon or face of anything really.
And there's no reason greninja won't become an icon, in gen 6 he already is

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
SALAMENCE, HYDREIGON AND HAXORUS ARE UU.

And the Pokemon meta has been changing drastically for the past four generations.

It is not wise to speculate on the future of competitive Pokemon, like, ever.
Dragon/Flying has always been pretty atrocious typing, Dark/Dragon wasn't spectacular defensively either. Salamence doesn't deserve to be UU imo.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Back on topic though, GameFreak seems to want a mascot from every generation. Gen 1 has Charizard, Gen 4 has Lucario, and Gen 5 has Zoroark. Gen 2 is a bit unorthodox considering it was essentially generation 1.5. Gen 3 is remembered more for its region (along with trumpets and Wingull). With nothing being explicitly promoted, and Greninja being without a doubt the most popular from Gen 6, he's kind of the default choice. X and Y are probably the most memorable games since Platinum too, which helps his chances greatly. I forget gen 5 exists sometimes. He's on the same level as Charizard at this point.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm just going to say that I think Greninja is going to end up being a big fan favorite in the Smash fan base. I can't exactly explain this, it's just a feeling I have. If that is the case, I think Greninja could have a good chance of returning in future games.

Though at this point, it's a little too early to tell.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
SALAMENCE, HYDREIGON AND HAXORUS ARE UU.

And the Pokemon meta has been changing drastically for the past four generations.

It is not wise to speculate on the future of competitive Pokemon, like, ever.
I pretty much agree, however, since Greninja can literally be any mono type and has a base 122 speed, it keeps on top of other frail sweepers.That is what will keep Greninja in the OU metagame. But now that Zoroark is RU, WHO THE HELL KNOWS?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I pretty much agree, however, since Greninja can literally be any mono type and has a base 122 speed, it keeps on top of other frail sweepers.That is what will keep Greninja in the OU metagame. But now that Zoroark is RU, WHO THE HELL KNOWS?
You had hopes for Zoroark as even UU potential???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom