• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OMG WTF his name should be Ash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidw89

Smash Cadet
Why pokemon trainer? shouldn't it be the main pokemon character? and then u might be able to put in misty or that other girl
personally i find the name pokemon trainer a bit random....nothing unique..just some random guy who throws poke-ball

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It SHOULD be RED, he's not Ash, he's RED from Pokemon Red/ Green and Pokemon Gold/ Silver

VagrantLest

Smash Cadet
It's supposed to be a generic non-unique name because thats what you are in the pokemon games, just a pokemon trainer competing with others.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's supposed to be a generic non-unique name because thats what you are in the pokemon games, just a pokemon trainer competing with others.
Unless you played Silver/ Gold...then you know his cannical name...RED

He's in the comics as RED too, but those aren't necessarily cannonical

4thgte

Smash Rookie
I think it is because at the start of each pokemon game you are given the option to choose from several default names red,ash,Jack (at least in the original red) even the option to have your own custom name. Giving the name pokemon trainer allows players of pokemon beable to identify with whoever they named their character. However, I see him being called Red before being called Ash (even though thats what i call him)

This is my first post by the way :p

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
his name is red because ash is not in the game, and the only thing that brawl cares about is the game, not the show, in the game, red is one of the names you can choose if you dont want to create your own name, hence the name red.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
The pokemon trainer in the games is supposed to be you, a generic young boy with shorts and a cap. The name is not important - that's why it's simply Red.

TenshiOni

Smash Apprentice
I believe his name is Pokemon Trainer and not Red because he'll have a female alternate costume based off of the girl in FireRed/Leaf Green (where his design was taken from).

4thgte

Smash Rookie
I also agree that the possibility of female trainer could be the reason for him being called pkmn trainer. However based on the demo from e4 all looks like we are just getting palette swaps although some are good like dark link however this could very well not be the case for all the characters seeing as pokemon trainer is in the background and it wouldn't matter much if he had a different appearance

:034:

Smash Hero
Dude, what? It's the Pokémon Trainer from FR/LG. You name him. He was called "Pokémon Trainer" as a universal name.

But, really, you can call him what you like. I call him Red.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
They should have just put Ash in anyway, instead of Red... The show was more popular than the game (I'm hoping..).
From what I know, Sakurai said that the character would have to had be originated from a game and not an anime... and the character Ash comes from an anime. Red comes from the game. So, no Ash.

Also, about the name "Pokemon Trainer..." they'll probably just have different colors for costumes... and you wouldn't call him Red if he's Blue, would you?

100links

Smash Ace
what id like to hear is how the announcer says his name... you know like how he says "LINK!" or "MARIO!" or something... ya think it will be "trainer" or "POKEMON TRAINER!"...

Rakath

Smash Ace
From what I know, Sakurai said that the character would have to had be originated from a game and not an anime... and the character Ash comes from an anime. Red comes from the game. So, no Ash.

Also, about the name "Pokemon Trainer..." they'll probably just have different colors for costumes... and you wouldn't call him Red if he's Blue, would you?
I would call him Red if he's just Red wearing a blue outfit.

If he was actually Blue (the Girl, the character) then no, I wouldn't call her Red.

4thgte

Smash Rookie
Dude, what? It's the Pokémon Trainer from FR/LG. You name him. He was called "Pokémon Trainer" as a universal name.

But, really, you can call him what you like. I call him Red.
Sorry about that, I tend to write too much and I end up confusing myself and others lol

All I meant to say was I agree that he might be called PT becuase of the option of having different trainers as Alternate costumes.

Sorry if i confused anyone

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer = Red = the main character from Red/Blue/Green/Fire Red/Leaf Green and the final boss from G/S/C.

Sorry, but it's not Ash. The ONLY games Ash has ever appeared in are Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64, and Puzzle League is the only game in which he took on his Anime appearance.

maxieman

Smash Ace
Wasn't Ash the final boss in silver/gold with something of a level 80 pikachu?

either way the trainers name is red but pokemon trainer is more general (plus the anime sucks after may happened)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Wasn't Ash the final boss in silver/gold with something of a level 80 pikachu?

either way the trainers name is red but pokemon trainer is more general (plus the anime sucks after may happened)
The Final Boss in Gold/Silver is Red.

maxieman

Smash Ace
really?

well was Ash with misty at the lake because I dont think red would have any connection with her

Taisuru

Smash Rookie
They should have just put Ash in anyway, instead of Red... The show was more popular than the game (I'm hoping..).
As far as I know, most people don't like the show. The games are still fun but the show has become bland and unexciting. (Note: talking about US version, JP might be better, I'm looking for subs or something.)

His name should ramain to be Pokemon Trainer, because Red really sin't a legitimate name for him in his games.

Red is a default name that was choosen out of the rest, just like in earthbound, the Names for the characters were default selected, and thus were the best selected names for the characters.

Besides, Pokemon Trainer is only the silhouette of the actual pokemon characters that he manipulates.

Rakath

Smash Ace
His name is Red, officially, in one generation of games. I don't think you get more legitimate than that.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
ah k pokemon trainer would be cool if he had a female counterpart..
and how the hell is he suppose to fight? throwing pokemon balls around and kicking and stuff?
He doesnt fight, he uses the original starters Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard to fight.

Also in the original Blue version the name you can pick is Blue.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green is the game that has sold the most copies in history by like double of what the next one was (which I believe it was ANOTHER pokemon game but I am too lazy to look it up anyways) and was IMO more popular than the show.

I believe PT will just have alternate colors to his costume and the pokemons will have "shiny" colors like in the games, there will be no girl trainer in my belief.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
It SHOULD be RED, he's not Ash, he's RED from Pokemon Red/ Green and Pokemon Gold/ Silver
No he's not he's different from the one in Gold/Silver (the ONLY canon Red).
This is Red

This is who Pokemon Trainer is based off, the male Pokemon Trainer from FR/LG (And therefore RBY) who is heavily implied to be but never confirmed to be Red.

ah k pokemon trainer would be cool if he had a female counterpart..
and how the hell is he suppose to fight? throwing pokemon balls around and kicking and stuff?
You mean Green or "Leaf"?

I wouldn't be suprised to see her as an alt.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No he's not he's different from the one in Gold/Silver (the ONLY canon Red).
This is Red

This is who Pokemon Trainer is based off, the male Pokemon Trainer from FR/LG (And therefore RBY) who is heavily implied to be but never confirmed to be Red.
Recolor the Red version one and give him slightly better graphics plus a change of pose, any resemblance?

Theyre not entirely the same but FR/LG is based on Red/Blue model

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter, it's still fanon NOT canon. Like I said the trainer from RBY and FR/LG is heavily implied to be the official Red but it is never confirmed.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You're all wrong; his name is Carl. That's what I typed in when they asked me for his name, thus that is what his name is. Duh. :p

Also, Link isn't really Link it's Brian. Same reason.
Actually his name would be AAA, then for both...

And then youd have to rename them to N. Link and N. Haunter on the second time you play them

xianfeng

Smash Hero
You're all wrong; his name is Carl. That's what I typed in when they asked me for his name, thus that is what his name is. Duh. :p

Also, Link isn't really Link it's Brian. Same reason.
Really weird for me both of their names were Brad, so was Ness'. Also Epona isn't the horse's name it's Nigel same with Ness' dog!(named after my dog). The rivals aren't Blue, Silver or Pearl they're Baz (named after my brother).

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Really weird for me both of their names were Brad, so was Ness'. Also Epona isn't the horse's name it's Nigel same with Ness' dog!(named after my dog). The rivals aren't Blue, Silver or Pearl they're Baz (named after my brother).
Epona used to not be nameable, so you fail!

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
His name should ramain to be Pokemon Trainer, because Red really sin't a legitimate name for him in his games.

Red is a default name that was choosen out of the rest, just like in earthbound, the Names for the characters were default selected, and thus were the best selected names for the characters.

Besides, Pokemon Trainer is only the silhouette of the actual pokemon characters that he manipulates.
so..
should we call him squirtle ivysaur and charizard?
the trainer isnt really doind anything but standing there waving his arms.
:laugh:

xianfeng

Smash Hero
But in Twilight Princess she is, so TP Epona isn't called Epona. Also Red is only in three games they are Gold, Silver and Crystal. PT is a generic character and is not Red.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
But in Twilight Princess she is, so TP Epona isn't called Epona. Also Red is only in three games they are Gold, Silver and Crystal. PT is a generic character and is not Red.
You forgot the game he got the name to begin with. Red/Blue/Green -_-

I agree PT is better IMO.

Nigel's Song FTW (You know, Epona...)

Rakath

Smash Ace
Doesn't matter, it's still fanon NOT canon. Like I said the trainer from RBY and FR/LG is heavily implied to be the official Red but it is never confirmed.
Because his Rival Green becoming the 8th Gymleader in no way confirms it. Riight.

The minor differences between Red in R/G/FR/LG and Red in G/S/C can't be explained away by the time difference between the two eras in Pokemans.

The intent is that character is Red, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom