• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oli's Edgeguarding...

Cinder

Smash Master
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now...as we know, Purple Pikmin slam foes when thrown...would that not make them ideal for edgeguarding? If the knockback goes sideways, the purple Pikmin could provide for an amazing edgeguard...granted, they don't go that far, but if they can get just a little distance...

So, what do y'all think? Pikmin toss=ideal/broken edgeguard? Any other moves that could be good edgeguards? Discuss...

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... I think any one of the Pikmin could hinder someones recovery, but the purple pikmin would just wipe them out!

I think it could be a vital tactic for Olimar players, to make sure they definately get the KO, and not let their opponent recover.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well it wouldn't really be broken because you wouldn't just keep pluking purple pikmin all the time and the platform that you try to edgeguard on might not be favorable of purple pikmin

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about throwing them off of the ledge? If so, wouldn't they die if you missed? Oh, and won't it be hard to hit them when they're falling?

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
@kackamee: I think purples will be rarer like in P2... I highly, HIGHLY doubt that you would be able to get a full 6 purps... let alone happen to have them when someone goes off the edge... I dont think it would be broken...

@Itakio: Yes. Yes. And yes. Maybe we just have to get good at aiming? XD . On a serious note, maybe they can sweetspot?

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I figure just find a place where Purple Pik's are likely, use Pikman Change to bring any not purple pikman to the front and get rid of them, then just fill up on Purple Pikman, and yes they would make an ideal edgeguard

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Meh, the translation says that we are throwing them "latch onto our opponent," which gives me the impression that you can't aim, and if that's true, then hitting a falling opponent is going to be pretty difficult.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Meh, the translation says that we are throwing them "latch onto our opponent," which gives me the impression that you can't aim, and if that's true, then hitting a falling opponent is going to be pretty difficult.
Even if you can't "aim" them, which I really think we will be able to to some degree, you can still use positioning to hit your opponent, it will be difficult but you dont always get every move off every time right?

Cinder

Smash Master
Are you talking about throwing them off of the ledge? If so, wouldn't they die if you missed? Oh, and won't it be hard to hit them when they're falling?
That's the only problem...you need to be willing to sacrifice a Pikmin...and yeah, timing would be crucial to hit a falling/recovering opponent...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
6 purple Pikmin is by far the worse combo. Imagine how limited you'll be in fighting. Your trying to be a mastermind, mainly you evade your opponent while sending your henhman, Pikmin in this case, after them. With 6 purple, you'd be limited to only short distance fighting. We don't even know if a certain Pikmin has an effect on Olimar's smash attack speed yet.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now...as we know, Purple Pikmin slam foes when thrown...would that not make them ideal for edgeguarding? If the knockback goes sideways, the purple Pikmin could provide for an amazing edgeguard...granted, they don't go that far, but if they can get just a little distance...

So, what do y'all think? Pikmin toss=ideal/broken edgeguard? Any other moves that could be good edgeguards? Discuss...
Yeah, it all will depend of course on how far Purples are thrown. Another thing, is will the Pikmin who latch on weigh someone down in the air? Like they did Beady Long Leg's...Legs in Pikmin one and two?

I can see someone trying to jump back on the stage and while Im standing on the edge, I throw all my red and blue Pikmin at them, and as they latch on, they pull the person down...hmm..

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
how easy it will be to hit someone off the edge really all depends if the pikmin go straight and then down, or up in the air and then down like in the games

Cinder

Smash Master
Yeah, it all will depend of course on how far Purples are thrown. Another thing, is will the Pikmin who latch on weigh someone down in the air? Like they did Beady Long Leg's...Legs in Pikmin one and two?

I can see someone trying to jump back on the stage and while Im standing on the edge, I throw all my red and blue Pikmin at them, and as they latch on, they pull the person down...hmm..
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...my point was that Purples would have knockback...and if the range/knockback/angle are good enough, it could be a long range (but slightly less accurate) version of Shiek's F-air...I would expect the other colors to weigh opponents down...but it could in theory be recovered from...

IllidR

Smash Champion

If the Pikmin weighed the person down, that'd definitely be a great way for Olimar to edgeguard. You could keep them down for a while and maybe finish them off with a purple because they'd be easier to hit?

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Just to be clear.

The minute I saw what each Pikmin was able to do I posted (In the Pikmen thread)

"Mark My words, Purple Pikmin will be whored"

I guess you are making the same conclusion as I did.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
If they're too far away you'll just have to make do with the other colors. At least Olimar can pluck Pikmin like there's no tomorrow. (since there is no possible way to get them back)

Top Bottom