• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimars side B is useless.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
I cannot find one use for olimars side b, the one where he throws pikmin and it latches on to an opponent, it does little damage and the pikmin die easily from it.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
When someone's hanging on the ledge to screw your Up+B over, whistle until a Purple Pikmin is in front and Side+B to force them back up or if you make contact, knock them off the ledge. That's its only real use IMO.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I cannot find one use for olimars side b, the one where he throws pikmin and it latches on to an opponent, it does little damage and the pikmin die easily from it.
When someone's hanging on the ledge to screw your Up+B over, whistle until a Purple Pikmin is in front and Side+B to force them back up or if you make contact, knock them off the ledge. That's its only real use IMO.
hahahahahahahaha

but seriously its probably one of Olimar's best moves regardless of the damage because it pressures your opponent and keeps Olimar in control.

robman1

Smash Cadet
I love his sideB. Sets the pace for the match it seems. Get a few of them on him and if he doesn't shake them you get some nice percentage. If he does try to dislodge without attacking you, it opens some time for you to approach. It keeps them busy.

I'll even get a quick throw in after a roll just so they are constantly under pressure which is not usual for Olimar who seems to be mostly defensive because of his reach.

Dr.Bower

Smash Rookie
His Side-B is incredible, especially if you put a few white pikmin and grab hold of them, you can probably rack up 30-40 damage without even really attacking. You can throw a few from a far, and your opponent will try to get them off, leaving them open for a smash attack.

It's simply a great skill to mess with your opponent and still do great damage.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
No.. side.. B? The humanity! Agree with the two above posters. The attack makes Olimar a pretty nasty camper, afar from all the other reasons listed. It allows him to play a defensive game and makes players attack when you aren't even there, which is pretty punishable. Pikmin toss is your friend!

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
I'm not a pikmin pro but i absolutely love his pikmin throw move it can do up to 40 damage and leaves them open for a smash attack and can save your life as phanpy said if you have a purple pikmin.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Ever tried a Side B + Grab? The Pikmin and you get to beat on them before you throw. :)

juddapudda

Smash Rookie
They make a pretty good projectile shield too.
yeah, pikmin will also stop ike dead in his tracks when someone's using his side b. when you see them charging up, just keep spamming the pikmin and he can't get past them.

*edit: actually it could just be the purple ones, i can't remember now.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Olimar's Side B is great. But it also depends WHO your up against, honestly, unless left wide open, super fast hitters like Metaknight and Pit tend to rip through them with little damage, I tend to fight with the pikmin rather than throw them.

Although, medium, and big boys like DDD and Ike, I lol @ them, damage skyrockets.

So it is useful :) plus the anti edgehogging strat, that can be pulled off with the right timing.

VagrantGhost

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter if the Pikmin only do a few percent of damage - you have an infinite number at your fingertips, so spam spam spam!

templar rage

Smash Cadet
Along with all the other reasons, throwing a Pikmin on someone will rack up KO points if they don't get rid of them right away. I played a 3-way match with two friends, 2 minutes, and won without delivering a single conventional KO. The Pikmin latched onto someone gave me the KO because they were the last ones to damage them.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
Try a F-B then grab. Works wonders.

Punish your opponent if he's not coming towards you.

pesticide

Smash Lord
are u CRAZY?!?!?!

olimar's side B is one of his best moves. spamming it FTW. u got to be smart, and know the right time to use it. but it is good. everyone in the olimar section will tell you that.

edit: 300 posts!

keeper

Smash Champion
Olimar's side-b is a stunning move, not literally (except Purple ones) but it is awesome. It can help maintain your space and overall keep your opponent busy. Even if it does little damage, it does rack up and the Pikmin are easily replenished. This attack is crucial for an Olimar user and needs to be integrated into his play.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what your talking about. Side-B racks up tons of damage. And plus it makes people pressured and they become more aggressive and then they don't think. (at least thats what my friends do)

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
I dont use his Side-B often unless the situation calls for it. If my opponent wants to spam: Lazers, Din's Fire, PK Fire, Thundershock, etc... then Pikmin throw can force them to stop. It also absorbs projectiles. I mostly do a running grab to get the opponent to get close and F-smash them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
His Side-B is incredible, especially if you put a few white pikmin and grab hold of them, you can probably rack up 30-40 damage without even really attacking. You can throw a few from a far, and your opponent will try to get them off, leaving them open for a smash attack.

It's simply a great skill to mess with your opponent and still do great damage.
QFT.

His side B is anything but useless, and even if it was, I'd use it anyway, as it's the attack that defines Olimar and his Pikmin.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yea Im just going to regurgitate what everyone else has said for the past 2 pages and say that not using Olimar's SideB is like not trying to recover when your off the stage...and we all know YOU MUST RECOVER....

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Pikmin Throw is actually my favorite move, out of all of Olimar's amazing attacks. :)

Sage2050

Smash Cadet
the trick to Side B is to couple it with Down B to save your pikmin from getting killed.

Skelliot

Smash Rookie
Side B is all about controlling ur opponent. If u latch a couple on, they HAVE to attack, or their dmg flies up. You use this to keep them attacking prematurely and punishing them as soon as their attack is over. Its more or less to scare them, not a dmg projectile.

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
The use of F-B is a means of controlling your opponent.

The F-B FORCES your opponent to attack, to nkock off the pikmin. Shielding the f-b or trying to side dodge the f-b is USELESS. Everything you can think of to counter the F-B, USELESS. only a fer characters in Brawl have the moveset to naturally counter Olimar's F-B.

This list is (i might be so wrong)
Fox (Most of his moves naturally knock off pikmin
Falco (NOT a Fox clone) (BUt eyah his moves also knock PIkmin off)
Wolf (Laser spam > Pikmin spam. Only becuase his laser has its own hitbox)
Pit( Cmon, Think. Think hard. Pit)
MetaKnight (Duh)
Marth (hes got a sword)

Just don't Thro wpikmin at these chars. its STOOPID (Unless the situation calls for it, if you beleive throwing pikmin at these characters in the specific time in your match is wise, and truly effective, then by the gods, DO IT)

BOZO500

Smash Journeyman
like everyone here already stated, its probably one of his best moves. I use it when people try to capm me, and when im feeling a little cheap, lol. per say, i camp with it to. you can use it to edgegaurd(purpe pikmin usually). and with some up-b atacks, such as snake and sonic, its funny to watch the pikmin latch on and rack up damage as i wait for them to recover, since these attacks dont really hurt them pikmin themselves while in execute, its very very useful in my opinion. Its also a good mind game, sometimes the player focuses on the pikmin latched on, leaving you open for many things, maybe a quick f-smash? maybe a grab going into combos? you decide.

Top Bottom