• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Recovery *Help*

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Hey troops, I joined this to try and get some help figuring out some ways to compensate for/more effectively use Olimar's tether recovery. It seems like half the time I die because the tether misses or I'm missing a few too many pikmin to reach. How do you guys get around this? Thanks for your thoughts!

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
This is Olimar's true weak point. His recovery... just plain sucks. A couple nuances are that you get a little boost from the UpB, so you can try and use that to make it over the edge - just get as close as possible and throw it out there, the slight boost may lift you enough to sweetspot. Another is that if your Pikmin are all flailing about and you won't be able to get them in a chain in time, the downB whistle brings them all to you instantly, which means you'll always have the full potential of your chain.

_Lex_

Smash Cadet
Yea, tether recovery blows. Whistling in the air can ameliorate this when your Pikmin are out and about. Also, if you know your Pikmin order, you can whistle for a purple Pikmin which instantly knocks the opponent on the edge off. Another way is to f-air is the opponents off the edge, making sure that their invincibility frames have ran out. These are just a few ways to better it, but....yea. It sucks.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
What everyone has already said is all true.

I'd also like to add this tip: you can kill your opponent if he is holding on the edge. You won't be able to save yourself, but at least you can bring down your opponent with you. Simply use your Up+B to knock your opponent off. You must position yourself carefully so that your Pikmin Chain will strike the target diagonally. Also, you must time your Up+B correctly and make sure your opponent has no invincibility frames. I'm not saying this is something you should always do, because like what other people have mentioned, there are a few ways to save yourself from an edge-hogger.

I like to use this tactic when I'm already at an extremely high percentage, and it would behoove me to just die to reset my diminishing returns. My rationale is that if I'm going to die, it would be nice if my opponent died, too! :) Of course, I only do this as a final resort. :)

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Those are definitely some good techniques to work in. Thanks a lot! Consider this though: I was trying to think of ways to integrate the recovery aspect into my playing style before it's even necessary. Like "I don't throw pikmin if I have high percents" or even something simple like trying to stay in the middle of the stage. Maybe sticking to the ground instead of jumping around too because Olimar is so good from underneath. What do you think?

hikikimori

Smash Rookie
i'm not a huge fan of olimar's tether recovery, when i play, and i haven't spent a lot of time playing the best of the best, i try to never be completely dependent on the tether to recover. for instance, depending on who i am playing against i might actually try to recover over them using air dodge or up b. not that's something i don't think would be too effective against certain air dominant characters (i.e. metaknight), and it probably wouldn't be too effective against any smart opponents. If i am coming in low, i'll try to save my second jump, if i haven't already lost it, to try to sweet spot the ledge or to place me close enough to resort to the tether. if i'm getting edge hogged, i can use that second jump to jump, or the little jump from up b, to get over the hogger and get on the platform.

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Perhaps something these people have failed to mention is your Side+B. While you are trying to get to the edge,you can always look at your pikmin line and look for a purple one, use whistle to get him to the front of the line, and throw it at the edge-hogger to make him fall. There are several downsides to using this tactic.
1- Perhaps you dont havea purple pikmin (duh :p)
2- Smart Edge Hoggers tend to avoid the pikmin and grab the edge anyways
3- While throwing the pikmin, you are shortening your recovery, so it makes it harder to calculate the distance

All in all, this is a good tactic to keep in mind and to make your recovery vary.

Ritherz

Smash Cadet
one recovery i've used a few times that works nicely if u get the timing on it is downB, whistle! it's got strong armor frames or whatever those are called, meaning it nullified knockback. just whistle when they is about to hit you and then counter them with a Bair, you can recover then jump back out for a ledgehog or more midair MADNESS. wow that sounded gay, but still it's a good tactic.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
Whistle until you have a purple pikmin to try and knock the other person off. Or if your certain your going to die I always tend to whistle until a red pikmin is next in line. With a red pikmin, if your going to die just use Olimar's Up-B and unless the opponent is using metaknight, the red pikmin will spike anyone on the ledge and make them die. (Pit occasionally lives too) Once people realize you can do this everytime, they won't hog the edge as much.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
depending on who i am playing against i might actually try to recover over them using air dodge or up b.
lol maybe you missed the memo dood, airdodge isnt directional anymore, so if you actually ARE using airdodge as a recovery, that might be why you die
) :
or maybe i misunderstood!

hikikimori

Smash Rookie
or maybe i misunderstood!

yeah i think you did. . .

i played a bit last night with a friend of mine and i'm really starting to fall in love with the whistle armor revovery, if you can get the timing down it really is one of the better methods of recovery.

Top Bottom