• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Water-Throw Glitch

Professor_Wombat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Professing
In a For Glory 1v1 match, my Olimar was fighting a Pac-Man. Towards the end of the fight, he threw a fire hydrant down. It landed in between us, and my Blue pikmin was next, so I tried to see if I could grab him through the fire hydrant. I could, but I was a little surprised by what happened. As I was grabbing him, the hydrant shot water and made me slide across the screen, as it usually would. I slid across the screen while STILL holding on to the Pac-Man. We were on different sides of the stage but the game thought I was still holding on to him. I threw him downward, and my Olimar on one side of the stage still had the Down Throw animation, and his Pac-Man on the other side of the stage was being thrown downward and still took same damage and knockback as if I were still there. But it looked as if he was being thrown down by...air...while I was doing the animation on the other side of the screen.

This had me wondering, "Can all characters with tether grabs perform this glitch?" "Is there any way this can be beneficial for competitive play?"

Please leave your thoughts down below.

EDIT: I apologize if I made this post without the proper format or something, I am new to SmashBoards and this is my first post.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Nah only Olimar can do it because the Pikmin is it's own entity and isn't considered a tether, that's why this glithch happens. Olimar doesn't actually throw the opponent he just directs the Pikmin to do it, so this actually does make logical sense as well.

It's not really benficial since it can throw off your follow-ups and give Pac-Man stage control if the Hydrant pushes you toward the ledge so I would stay away from doing this as much as possible.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
This isn't really a glitch - it's basically just that your Pikmin is the one doing the grabbing work, and they don't get pushed by the water. Interesting bit of knowledge atleast, but certainly no glitch.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also try defying gravity when you grab near
the ledge after being pushed from shielding.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
is it possible to backthrow from across the stage and get some sort of followup from there? or does back throw send too high or something? idk

also does f throw kill? if you get a throw from the center and the hydrant pushes them to the ledge, then that would help for getting them nearer to the blast zone i spose but if f throw doesnt kill then probably not, although itd be interestting especially if you can get back to that side of the stage to edgeguard?although pacman prolly doesnt have any trouble returning to stage quickly so idk

thats all thats coming to mind

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Well, it is not a glitch. In a For Glory 1v1 I was fighting a Mario. Around the same time I grabbed him he slapped me with his cape. I guess he expected me to turn around with the Pikmin but I grabbed him anyways, despite not being in the right direction. It was shocking! After all, Pikmin are their own separate entities.

Last edited:

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
Hehe, that sounds very similar to a match I had, OP.

But no, far from a glitch. Pikmin are supposed to be sentient beings, so they can grab like no other character can. Enjoy!

I guess he expected me to turn around with the Pikmin but I grabbed him anyways, despite not being in the right direction. It was shocking! After all, Pikmin are their own separate entities.
Yep, I too have grabbed a fool backwards. I then suplexed him.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
The other day, I got caped by a Mario as I was doing a grab. The cape hit Olimar, which turned me around, but the pikmin still grabbed Mario behind my back. I did a down throw (behind my actual character) and then a jumped for a powerful bair for the KO. Very satisfying.

Top Bottom