• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar vs. Zeldas Standard Spec.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
I have always loved Olimar. One of his biggest and sometimes most embarrassing problem is the fact that characters that can reflect can make your Pikmin temporarily unusable and traitorous. A reflected side special every once in a while is fine but this can make you have more difficulty KOing the character. The hardest is Zelda, due to her standard special what I think is called Nayrus Love. (Excuse me if I spelled that wrong) Most reflectors that don't reflect anything during their attacking period are punishable with a grab (The easiest being Fox or Mii Gunner) but Zeldas will NOT let you grab during Nayrus Love. Your Pikmin takes damage and does not latch on. The moves cooldown isn't enough to be able to time it exactly right ether. Not to mention, Nayrus Love will knock off/kill the Pikmin on her. Considering Olimars most commonly used and usually best smash attack is his forward, they will come back towards you and give you a really, really heartbreaking hit. His down smash will just make the Pikmin fall over during the move if it collided with Nayrus Love.I need a way around this move and even better, a way to punish it. Hopefully I will not suck at fighting Zelda anymore.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
She has a small-ish window you can hit during between uses. Learn it, and anticipate her reflects, and punish by whapping her in the face with a pikmin f-air or b-air. That'll teach her (Atleast, that's how I do it.). If you get good at it, they'll have no choice but to avoid trying to spam-reflect them, which works completely in your favour.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Shield grab or aerials

NL has quite a bit of end lag on it, so you'll want to bait it out of her then punish it accordingly. Just be aware that she has invincibility frames towards the start of the move so it isn't in your best interests to attack then.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I have another tactic that might work for you.
Take your distance, throw a pikmin and do a fast fall, she will use reflect, run towards her and by the time you get close the reflect will be gone, that's the moment when you have to punish.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I have another tactic that might work for you.
Take your distance, throw a pikmin and do a fast fall, she will use reflect, run towards her and by the time you get close the reflect will be gone, that's the moment when you have to punish.
I have to eat my own words because that strategy works for a common Zelda player, not a good one.
Yesterday I was defeated like 20-4 against a (for me) decent Zelda player.
What I have learned from this carnage was.
1) You have to work really hard to get the right timing when she reflect. Is (for me) very very hard.
2) If she starts to swing around in her own place, you have to shield. I Died a lot of times because I didn't.
3) Your recoveries had to be near to the bottom of the platform, instead of a diagonal trajectory from bottom to top, because of the Dair she easily does.
4) Have to do huge efforts to get close when she uses his "missile" explosion in order to punish that move.

Top Bottom