• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar vs Heavies

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
What is olimar and alphs supposed matchup vs heavies
I two stocked a charizard today with alph and am pretty proud of myself :D

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What is olimar and alphs supposed matchup vs heavies
I two stocked a charizard today with alph and am pretty proud of myself :D
Well I'm not sure what all characters you consider to fit into the heavy category, but for the most part Olimar has a better time with bigger and slower characters. They usually can't get in and punish like the faster ones.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
Yeah, I'd say for sure Olimar has a decent advantage over bigger, slower characters which tend to be heavier but I think even Rosalina is a good matchup even though she's light. I think Olimar is sort of designed to be played like david vs goliath. High speed, high pressure give the most problems.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah, I'd say for sure Olimar has a decent advantage over bigger, slower characters which tend to be heavier but I think even Rosalina is a good matchup even though she's light. I think Olimar is sort of designed to be played like david vs goliath. High speed, high pressure give the most problems.
From the Rosalina's I've fought the MU seems to be in her favor quite a bit.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
From the Rosalina's I've fought the MU seems to be in her favor quite a bit.
Yeah, it could be that I played quite a few bad ones and my opinion is skewed. I just tend to be able to rack a ton more damage on her through side b than other match ups. Luma also doesn't bother me to much, but again this could be me just playing sub-par players since she seems to be getting a lot of people trying to learn her.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah, it could be that I played quite a few bad ones and my opinion is skewed. I just tend to be able to rack a ton more damage on her through side b than other match ups. Luma also doesn't bother me to much, but again this could be me just playing sub-par players since she seems to be getting a lot of people trying to learn her.
I've played Dabuz and Xaltis as well as some other good ones. The luma can be troublesome because it will take the hit and Rosalina can shield then punish easily on attacks. As well as luma obviously attacking you when you do get an opening. One nice thing is that Olimar can jab lock luma when Rosalina isn't there.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Rosalina has to space and olimar doesnt have the same spacing options that rosalina does
SO he has to get in to be able to do damage to her.
So she destroys Olimar

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Rosalina has to space and olimar doesnt have the same spacing options that rosalina does
SO he has to get in to be able to do damage to her.
So she destroys Olimar
That certainly applies when Olimar does the approaching, and that's not his best quality.

She's certainly in a favorable matchup against Olimar/Alph but she doesn't destroy him.
Olimar can easily rack damage against her using pikmin throw(Luma can't block it). Olimar's specials make Luma as a body guard nil since his pikmin goes through.
So when using Olimar, you don't have to worry much about Luma. Approaching can be tough though, Rosalina has to approach not Olimar for Olimar to gain advantage. In case Rosalina wants to camp it out with Luma shot, roll and go strike at her.

So..
Far distance from RosaLuma - Pikmin Throw away!

Short ranged combat though, Olimar can short hop aerial or fsmash when Luma's around or even dsmash when Rosalina's roll happy and pikmin goes under Luma.

Just me.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
I see what you mean but it also depends on the skill of either player LOL

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Rosalina can shield the fair or fsmash and punish. It isn't to reliable of an option once they learn.

Zaycko

Smash Cadet
Well i just fought a Falco in 1v1, olimar gets destroyed with his throwable shield

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Rosalina can shield the fair or fsmash and punish. It isn't to reliable of an option once they learn.
Grabbing's always an option, although much safer when Luma's not around. I'd say Rosalina's close combat's in her favor when Luma's around and with her smashes having those galaxy thingies, but she must get close quickly or else Olimar would put free damage onto her.

Well i just fought a Falco in 1v1, olimar gets destroyed with his throwable shield
Olimar has good tilts and aerials utilize that. Like Myran said, be careful when using smashes or pikmin throws. It'd be best to use throws when he approaches with a dash attack or something.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Grabbing's always an option, although much safer when Luma's not around. I'd say Rosalina's close combat's in her favor when Luma's around and with her smashes having those galaxy thingies, but she must get close quickly or else Olimar would put free damage onto her.
Grabbing is pretty risky. If luma is around you're probably going to be hit, and if you whiff it you are most likely gonna get punished. Olimar's grab has to much ending lag to be throwing out just whenever. There are times to grab her, but I definitely wouldn't call it a main option.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Olimar is good vs. heavy character because, Heavy character concentraded resisting hits, when olimar has a good range of trowing pikmin and good grabbing range. Heck the Dthrow combo is twice easy with heavy characters. Even ganonndorf is more easy to kill it IS I use Olimar, because he believe in is super armor, Olimar ignored that.
The only problem is, Olimar is quite light, he can be K.O. by any moment, so better DODGE all heavy attacks not matter what or get wreck.
But Rosalina is another case, SHE is really good versus Olimar... Rosalina is really powerful vs. Olimar like, really powerful.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I fought a Mario who did nothing but cape the whole match. I kept playing, and I learned to rely on aerials, jabs, dtilt -> utilt combos, and ftilt for kills. Now when I play against someone where I can actually use Pikmin Toss and fsmash, it seems like a blessing.

Legend28469

Smash Cadet
NNID
Legend28469
I see ya. I usually wanna work Pikmin toss whenever possible, even at high percentages. One strategy I do is to throw a white at them and then run until they try to destroy it then punish them for when they do destroy it.

Top Bottom