• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar V Wolf

r0isindubh

Smash Rookie
I decided early on to main the Captain and I still feel he is very strong. The problem I am having in my matches are few. I have a problem against diddy on certain stages but if you can predict the bananas it's not that painful, the real problem I am having is with a friend who mains Wolf and spams his lasers and forward smash. I don't have a problem with the laser you can just roll into it right before they hit and gain ground on him as I posted in my projectile thread in tactical discussion, the forward smash though catches up to me way to fast for me to cope with and he always can get me back on the ground to spam again.

I tried to make him attack me in the air and in other situations but the wolf matchup seems real tough. Anyone have any thoughts on the wolf spammer math with ollie? No other char besides Ike has a fsmash that is that pesky so It is not a problem I face with anyone else.

Another problem which is not alone in the wolf match and I am sure has been addressed in this forum many times is the fact that even with recall and the techniques already introduced Ollie's tether recovery is a very delicate thing to use to make it back. I am interested to know if anyone has any different ways they have used to get around edgehoggers when you have to recover from below edge level.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Can you play Wolf? I'll play you, and just like I mentioned in the other thread, I'll see if I can show you how to get around it all. I find wolf to be a mild match (not too hard, but not easy either)

4167-4160-0707

r0isindubh

Smash Rookie
Well unfortunately for me I do not own a wii and need to leach off of friends until I scrounge up the extra cash to buy one, my good friend cerpintaxt who plays under the tag DECK is a veteran very skilled and he has no problem in the same match which lets me know my timing just probably is not up to par with him yet, but I don't have problems in any other match which just made me uneasy about the matchup. I have played probably 30+ games against that wolf and have yet to beat him but I am near undefeated against anyone else I have played =(

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone have so much trouble against laser spammers? As I've stated in every related thread, just jump over the attacks and throw Pikmin. The only projectile spammer who should be a problem is Pit because he can bend the arrows upward and get jumpers.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Oli can duck under Pits arrows for a mix up.

Honestly, ban FD, hope you don't get smashville, and use the platforms as a way of getting the Wolf players to stop camping. That's the best way to win against it.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Actually a friend (who mains wolf) and I worked on this matchup for about 3 hours last night, really breaking it down every way we could. FSmash is truly a very unique and incredibly strong move. It is not overpowered against the entire cast necessarily, though it is certainly dominating, however because of the priority/power it is a game beaker vs an unprepared Olimar. Later tonight I will make a huge post showing what we found, but for now i'll run down some small things.

You should certainly play defensively, FSmash is too strong to approach much. This obviously opens you up for laser spam, but you should be able to overcome this with timing and spacing practice. Become effecient at knowing the limit to wolfs laser range, rolling/dodging timing, shielding, and getting your pikmin annoyingly on the wolf. You should be able to be "winning" this distance situation damage wise, and that would be the beginning of the turning point of this matchup. At that point it'll make wolf approach, which he is very good at because of FSmash, but you have the defensive advantage at this point. It takes too long for wolf to run in, stop, and get through the startup lag of fsmash, You should be able to react and respond punishing this attempt. So it becomes a brutal spacing game, where each player should be/must be very aware exactly of their range. Olimar does not out range Wolf's FSmash, so there is not an advantage to be had there, you must be more aware of the spacing, forcing him into bad situations where you can hit him, and anytime your spacing becomes unfavorable roll backwards and do what you can to reset the situation. Also at the very end of the night interestingly enough we noticed that Olimar's DAir seems to out prioritize Wolf's common answers of USmash/UAir. UTilt wasn't tested. However it offered the interesting situation that Olimar may have a considerable advantage if directly above wolf, as counter intuitive as that is for standard Olimar play. Theres obvious problems, such as you must know the spacing to not have the landing lag, they can dodge/roll away and may potentially be able to punish you (wasn't tested so much) Just an idea.

In a nutshell, until i write up the findings/mini-guide, First tackle the laser spam problem, using even just all of the obvious options you should learn to overcome the spam.
Then learn to react/defensively persevere against wolf and his great FSmash.

Like I said, more, much more, later.

-True

r0isindubh

Smash Rookie
Up to now when I play wolf he has started the game with a laser spam 100 percent of the time, and I normally roll back to be out of range and grab my other three pikmin, this gives wolf too much priority though for a dash and fsmash. I changed my strategy though you should jump and unload the three starting pikmin falling backwards and then grab pikmin in this situation, he is not going to expect it so there will almost never be a shine. This enables you to either fall backwards out of range of the laser to stay out of melee range, or you can fall into wolf which you can fair into. The wolf match is dynamic and is certainly a spacing game but it can be done.

Top Bottom