• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Tournament Videos

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
Here's a couple sets from a recent tourney from last Saturday. I did a lot more sets at the tournament, but almost every person I was facing was using MetaKnight, and so I had to clutch it out with fox since I don't like the Olimar vs MetaKnight matchup. And since this isn't the fox thread, I won't show them=p. But here are the vids of me using Olimar. Word of advice, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BAN RAINBOW CRUISE IF YOU PLAN ON USING OLIMAR THE WHOLE TIME. =p

Me and Dope vs Random Heroes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=taEZKuV7TSE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hIDcQvxvqEA

Me vs Dope

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bkN2VMx9V9M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YIBFT3j3w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F858hLpXgko

Me vs Overswarm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPySZOO2xkI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jRoLCFICpUM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=waVgfgMJMok

Bozen

Smash Apprentice
Rainbow Cruise.... I don't know if there is a stage I hate more. Anyway thanks for the excuse to waste some time at work ;).

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
Wow , you are really good! Very similar to my Olimar, only like 10x more refined.

EDIT: You also grab significantly less often than I do.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
It was a little frustrating to watch you play. You could've shield-grabbed a lot more, but instead you went for f-smashes and either got overprioritized or shield-grabbed. xD Also, there were a lot of instances in the Dedede fights when you could backed up a little and thrown pikmin instead of rushing forward and getting hit. o.o

The ROB was amazing though, you did fairly well against him, I would suggest, again, using more shield-grabs to counter his attacks, and maybe spot dodges to avoid his down+b.

Overall, try to learn to use Whistle Armor, it gives you super armor to avoid knockback from attacks, but you still get damaged. Useful when you're being attacked and the only option really is to get hit.

[And nice doubles, but those MKs weren't all that great...]

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I don't know about the whistle armor suggestion. I think his shielding was fine. Unless you are floating in the air and see a Rob Bair coming then there are usually better options for protection. Use whistle armor primarily to reorder pikmin and get them back in line.

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
Oh, how did you place in the tournament by the way?

It was a little frustrating to watch you play. You could've shield-grabbed a lot more, but instead you went for f-smashes and either got overprioritized or shield-grabbed. xD Also, there were a lot of instances in the Dedede fights when you could backed up a little and thrown pikmin instead of rushing forward and getting hit. o.o
I wasn't originally going to give you any suggestions for improvement but I really have to agree with Ziggy on this one. If there's one thing you could improve on it's your grabs.

ragnarock

Smash Lord

The ROB was amazing though, you did fairly well against him, I would suggest, again, using more shield-grabs to counter his attacks, and maybe spot dodges to avoid his down+b.

Overall, try to learn to use Whistle Armor, it gives you super armor to avoid knockback from attacks, but you still get damaged. Useful when you're being attacked and the only option really is to get hit.

[And nice doubles, but those MKs weren't all that great...]
ur whistle gives u armor

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Well, it only lasts for a few frames. Look in the Advanced Olimar Discussion thread or NC_Echo's guide... one of them has the GIF animation that shows you what it looks like.
thanks i sure will check it out.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
I ended up getting 4th, overswarm got first. And yeah I know about the shield grabbing, but I try not to do it to much anymore. When your playing good people like Overswarm and Dope they abuse you if you do it too much, and punish you for it :/

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
99% of the time, there's a better option than using the whistle to prevent knockback. I recommend not using it at all until a year from now when your skills are much better and playing as olimar becomes second instinct. I never use it unless I HAVE to in VERY RARE situations where it would require me to use it, or else i'd die. No-one should use it. Get those whistle armor memories out of y'all's heads!!!

Edit: what do you mean by "punished for shield grabbing"? I've never been punished for using it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
you've never been punished for shield grabbing?

maybe you should find some better competition before bad habits overwhelm you -_-

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
99% of the time, there's a better option than using the whistle to prevent knockback. I recommend not using it at all until a year from now when your skills are much better and playing as olimar becomes second instinct. I never use it unless I HAVE to in VERY RARE situations where it would require me to use it, or else i'd die. No-one should use it. Get those whistle armor memories out of y'all's heads!!!

Edit: what do you mean by "punished for shield grabbing"? I've never been punished for using it.
I said learn how to use it, not spam it. It's situational, and there are many instances when you have to go in for an off-stage aerial and the other characters can overprioritize your aerials. In that case, whistle armor can get your attack in right after their's. There's also when your own damage is uber high and normal aerials can knock you off the stage quite easily or kill you, whistle armor is in fact the better option because the damage will not matter anymore.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
The whistle armor is very rarely required...probably should be in quotes "required"...b/c its all opinion and how the meta game has affected you. The one time that I have no better option is when I'm below the stage line off in the corner and have a character attacking me...mid air dodge takes too long, so whistle armor works...

However...the best option for whistle armor on the stage has nothing to do with dodging...its all MIND GAMES...its faster than a spot dodge and usually gives the animation of a hit to your opponent...therefore, whistle armor to attack...if you are whistling for shield - you are giving your opponent free damage.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
by being punished by shield grabbing is people usually see it coming. especially with smart players like dope and overswarm, they can space VERY well and can dodge olimars shield grab. or they'll just mindgame u into missing ur grab then getting hit=p. and yeah i do use the whistle armor ALOT for everyone debating about it, in the first set with me and dope (wasn't recorded cuz we forgot to press record) i whistle armord through d3's entire u-air for the win on the set haha. its VERY USEFUL in my opinion

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
you've never been punished for shield grabbing?

maybe you should find some better competition before bad habits overwhelm you -_-
I misunderstood the original comment. I have great competition where I live, and I don't develop bad habits like using whistle armor unnecessarily.

To my point. No-one gets punished for grabbing AFTER someone hits your shield unless you totally miss-time the grab completely, in which case you suck. I refer to shieldgrabbing as the action after someone hits the shield. I don't examine my opponents approaches like...here's a scenario: let's say my very competent opponent jumps towards me (but not far enough to jump over me) while I play defensively: (which is very usual)

"hmm...he jumped. I will shieldgrab his hide."

This is a very bad thing to do b/c you're predicting an attack that hasn't been initiated yet, and to think like this is very punishable. I agree there. I think more like this:

"Hmm...he jumped. If he pulls out an attack, I will shield. If he lands close enough for a grab after the attack, I will SHIELDGRAB him.(I'm using this as a verb- the definition of the wordstarting when he hits my shield. NOT when he leaves the ground) If he lands far from grab range, I will not grab him. If he doesn't attack, I'm assuming he dodges. If he dodges, I will use jab and the enduring hitbox of the jab will hit his body when he lands. simple.

These are two separate things.

I said learn how to use it, not spam it. It's situational, and there are many instances when you have to go in for an off-stage aerial and the other characters can overprioritize your aerials. In that case, whistle armor can get your attack in right after their's. There's also when your own damage is uber high and normal aerials can knock you off the stage quite easily or kill you, whistle armor is in fact the better option because the damage will not matter anymore.
I'm sorry again. I misunderstood your comment. You're right about these situations.

or they'll just mindgame u into missing ur grab then getting hit=p.
maybe I'm not misunderstanding you after all. please explain. :)

Edit:Are y'all referring to ground game? I'm thinking of when my opponents approach me. My friends don't approach with attacks on the ground. That's stupid. If I'm on the ground near enough for my opponent to attack me and it's not beneficial to try and attack him/her, I'll usually just run and re-setup.(olimar's jabs aren't exactly his strong suit.)

Top Bottom