• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar stands a chance?

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm pretty sure he won't be the best character for professional play, but I don't think he's as bad as people make him to be. A lot of people were laughing at me for playing him, but it's easy to be extremely cheap with him, and I actually held some ground using him. I think with the right strategy, he could actually be used. His forward smash has really great range, and his forward tilt is fast and pretty strong. So far from what I can see though, he isn't too great in the air. What do you guys think?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Whos making him out to be bad? All the impression threads have been beemingly positive. And I've played him extensively, hes very, very good. The only bad part of him is his recovery and relative low weight.

Cinder

Smash Master
Even Sakurai admitted that he'll be an advanced character, from what I hear...and from the vids I've seen, he's got a ton of potential...like Lovage said, the only downfalls he has are unreliable recovery and low weight...

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm pretty sure he won't be the best character for professional play, but I don't think he's as bad as people make him to be. A lot of people were laughing at me for playing him, but it's easy to be extremely cheap with him, and I actually held some ground using him. I think with the right strategy, he could actually be used. His forward smash has really great range, and his forward tilt is fast and pretty strong. So far from what I can see though, he isn't too great in the air. What do you guys think?
hmm. from what ive seen and heard Olimar is actually better in the air than on ground. you probably didnt no how to use his areal game b/c it was ur 1st time using him

IllidR

Smash Champion
What are your sources that have been telling you that Olimar is bad? This is the exact opposite of pretty much every impression of him I've heard, he's got great damage building, great range, and great KOing potential all filled with strategy. The only downfalls we know of so far are his complexity, if you count that as one, and his terrible recovery, due to tether-recovery being easily edgeguarded.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I personally think you and your friends (or the people laughing at you) are undermining P&O. Just because Olimar needs Pikmin to fight does not mean they're weak. They're worthy competitors given that you have enough skill and understanding to use them properly. Afterall, P&O is for advanced players.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
What are your sources that have been telling you that Olimar is bad? This is the exact opposite of pretty much every impression of him I've heard, he's got great damage building, great range, and great KOing potential all filled with strategy. The only downfalls we know of so far are his complexity, if you count that as one, and his terrible recovery, due to tether-recovery being easily edgeguarded.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

(Sorry for the double post I'm on my Wii.)

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
Hm, I guess I'm just not in a crowd with enough advanced players. So, would it be possible to actually main with him? I love Pikmin, and this would be great if possible. Also, should I pay any attention to the people calling me cheap for abusing his range?

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I guess I'm just not in a crowd with enough advanced players. So, would it be possible to actually main with him? I love Pikmin, and this would be great if possible. Also, should I pay any attention to the people calling me cheap for abusing his range?
HELL NO!!!! keep using it its there falt that they are giving you the range to throw the pikmin.
pikmin throwing is very easy to conter, if they havent figured out how to counter it then it is just there fault. use any thing to win or as an advantage.

and also plz post vids if you can of you playing with olimar it would help alot

Brasil

Smash Cadet
The trick with Olimar is always going to be staying on the ground as much as possible. If you start going in the air against someone who can juggle, you're screwed. Check out the 1v1 videos against Wolf in the Olimar video compendium here. If you do want to include some air-game, the best I've seen so far are quick, short hops from a farther range. Anything beyond that has been bordering on suicidal.

Olimar stands an amazing chance when you're able to remain on the ground.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
thats not really true in that wolf vid that olimar player didnt no that the whistle has super armor so he didnt no how to counter the wolf. all he needed to do was use his down b at the right time then dair or fair the wolf player away. if u look at the rob vid that olimar player did exactly what i just told you.

and also that olimar player only played for 6hrs.
so my point is that olimar can be really deadly really high outside the ring b/c he can use the whistle to superguard then spike the opponet down imediatly, so again that is y they say olimay is for advance players

Brasil

Smash Cadet
thats not really true in that wolf vid that olimar player didnt no that the whistle has super armor so he didnt no how to counter the wolf. all he needed to do was use his down b at the right time then dair or fair the wolf player away. if u look at the rob vid that olimar player did exactly what i just told you.
Watch that match versus rob. Super-armor from the whistle had nothing to do with much of that match, if anything. Because the Olimar player was doing well because he was controlling the ground most of the match, and using short-hops more than full-blown aerials. He wasn't letting himself be juggled. He wasn't even letting himself be put into positions to be juggled. Just like how super-armor wouldn't have helped that other Olimar versus Wolf, the super-armor didn't help this Olimar versus R.O.B.

I'm not arguing that Olimar isn't going to be deadly. I'm arguing that his whistle super-armor is not going to be one of the primary winning strategies/tactics. It'll be something good players use, certainly. But it's not going to be some sort of saving grace should the player got popped up into the air against someone who knows how to juggle with a fast character like Wolf.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Your friends are crazy, I didn't read through all the posts above me, but I bet they agree with me. Olimar is very good and will be a force to be reckoned with. He is a solid character even with his glaring recovery weakness.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's such thing as "abusing" anything when such a feature is built for such a character. Alot of us here, as you may have noticed, WILL be maining P&O. I'm actually pretty serious (well, not dead serious, but you know, as far as gaming's concerned) about competing with P&O in the metagame/in tournaments.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So uh.. whos saying hes bad? Every time I read about the way he moves and fights, I hear hes very strong, ... and very scary.

From the videos I watch, this is true.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Many of us have not been able to play the game unfortunately, but as seen the general impression thus far doesn't need to be mindlessly repeated again.

Unfortunately the arguments i feel aren't the best approach, specific videos are great but in reality you can only use them to get used to timing/physics and see others ideas. The Rob match referenced does show dominance of a vital aspect in Olimar play, dominating the ground and avoiding juggling, but this may be a match between someone naturally able to avoid those situations against the Rob who maybe still needs to develop that part of his game.

My point is everything is still too new to know if Olimar is truly strong or not, but to say that is folly as well. At this stage in the development and community of the game, Olimar is exactly what you who own/play the game make him, every character has potential. If you feel he can be strong, and have the desire for him to be good, he will be until certain advanced techs are discovered which will start to separate and tier the characters objectively. Look how Link was considered one of the best in the game early in SSBM, Azen even wins one of the first tournaments ever with him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg

I've gotten wordy again, sorry all, but in closing I'm gonna link one more thing in regards to anything being described as cheap. All games, especially fighting games with constant direct competition, suffer from scrubs calling things cheap, but this article should explain everything.
http://sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

-True

Top Bottom