• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar pros and cons?

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I really like Olimar's playstyle but I seem to have trouble thinking of a pro. Pros and Cons usually help people know what type of character they are dealing with to see if they wanna pick him up.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Pros:
-Fat aerials. Fair slaps, Dair dunks, but they are all great.
-Groovy grabs
- A cool projectile

Cons:
- Need to pray to RNGsus before every game. Time consuming and will make you change your religious faith.
- Pikmin have stubby arms that won't grab the ledge from afar.
-You aint doing nuthin' with spawn invincibility

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm gonna give everyone a message from my notes about Olimar on respawn. Please share this post whenever you see someone mention their respawn troubles, because it will help.

- When you respawn, DO NOT pluck all 4 Pikmin.
- Pluck 1 or 2, depending on how close the opponent is to your spawn point then move away from your starting spot and whistle until your Pikmin come to you. If they're close pluck 1, if they're far pluck 2.
--- If the stage is large and they're all the way across it you can go for 3 or 4, but take the character's speed and tools (projectiles) into consideration.
- This ensures Olimar can create some space on respawn while still having something to defend himself with.
--- This is also a precaution as if you go for 4 plucks, Olimar's Pikmin are not invincible with Olimar when they're in their "plucked" animation. A player that catches on to this, and a good play WILL catch on to this, will attack you EVEN WHILE YOU'RE INVINCIBLE just to keep your Pikmin from being available to you. If you pluck all 4 Olimar can hit while his Pikmin do and you will be unable save them which may end up putting you at 3 or less despite plucking all 4 Pikmin with all of your invincibility.

guyincognito

Smash Rookie
NNID
madvillanies
Olimar's neutral game is quite strong. Pikmin have disjointed hitboxes and deal good amount of damage. When they bloom, purple ones are ridiculous and can destroy at low percentages. Throwing Pikmin at opponents (especially the white ones) can throw their game off and put them in vulnerable situations. Pivot grabs are safe and often lead to a follow-up. Overall, he's one of the most fun characters to play IMO but has some notable flaws.

His recovery is weak and playing from behind really sucks (when you lose your flower Pikmin). He also has quite a few bad matchups. Throwing Pikmin can be useless against some characters who can just neutral air or shine to remove it.

Top Bottom