• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar=Most Technical?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Based off of what I've seen, it appears that Olimar is pretty much the most technical character in the game. Here's what I mean:

First, before you even start fighting, you have to have prior knowledge of the probabilities of which pikmin you would pull at each stage. (keep in mind they do vary stage to stage. how much is to be determined in the future)

Second, you have to pull out your other 3 pikmin and order them. Because you're already being approached by now, you need to know the natural order of pikmin from the start in order to know which actions are best in that match.

Next, you need to know about the attributes of each pikmin and which attacks and playstyle fits them best.

With all of this potential information, I think Oli may be the most complicated character in the game. What do you think?

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Based off of what I've seen, it appears that Olimar is pretty much the most technical character in the game. Here's what I mean:

First, before you even start fighting, you have to have prior knowledge of the probabilities of which pikmin you would pull at each stage. (keep in mind they do vary stage to stage. how much is to be determined in the future)

Second, you have to pull out your other 3 pikmin and order them. Because you're already being approached by now, you need to know the natural order of pikmin from the start in order to know which actions are best in that match.

Next, you need to know about the attributes of each pikmin and which attacks and playstyle fits them best.

With all of this potential information, I think Oli may be the most complicated character in the game. What do you think?

nice info but we olimar mainers no this already this probably y most of us is going to main him :)

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
To be honest...I don't think he's that technical, as of now. Sure, the frequency of color appearance varies from stage to stage, but not enough to affect the game by any large amount. Knowing the order when you both have 0% damage seems insignificant to me..., and the attributes take seconds to learn. Sure there's that elemental resistance/affinity thing going, but in my opinion its not as important as some make it out to be. In all honesty, a pikmin getting offed because you threw it at a charizard and it wasn't red isn't really that big of a deal...it still does some damage, and takes less than a second to replace. Similarly, it isn't too mentally taxing (I hope) to know that Purple = Knockback, White = Damage, Red/Yellow = Elemental, Blue = Average. Sure, there's a little bit of thought put into deciding which is best for each situation, but I feel many would be so preoccupied with switching the order that they'd leave themselves open for attack.

All that aside, I think that Olimar is by far the most interesting and fun to play character, although I don't know if he could be considered the most complicated...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
When it comes to "professionals", this stuff really, really matters. I don't think many outside of the really competitive Olimar players are going to think THAT in-depth. BUT the amount of Pikmin you have with you at all times does make him, in my mind at least, the most "technical" character all by itself. I'm guessing the different types of Pikmin also matters, right? Like they have different attributes like in the game?

I haven't gotten to see much of him. Do his Pikmin die in water? Or by fire? Except for the blue and red, respectively, of course.

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say that he is technical, because you don't have to do anything really fast, but you could say that he requires lots of knowledge about the pikmins and when to use each one..

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It would be important if elemental attacks were more prominent or if you couldn't pick like 4 pikmin in half a second but aside from purple doing knockback during throws and blue giving you more range it doesn't matter that much tbh although it helps to know you shouldn't be overthinking about stuff like that.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
Before you think that Olimar might not be considered technical, think about this: What if you plan on smashing your opponent but you throw a pikman first, and what if that one just so happens to be one of the knockback ones, then your followup smash may miss because you didnt notice you through a knockback one.

I think it's things like this that the OP was talking about, and I personally believe that the 3 hardest characters in the game to master will be Olimar, Sonic, and Snake, in that order. Sonic for his speed and unique fighting style, and Snake because he just looks plain hard to set up combos with, and work his morters and whatnot.

I'll definitely be maining Luigi like I always have, but I have been really looking foward to trying out Olimar since the day I heard he was going to be in the game, I can't freaking wait.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
@Fiz that's sort of what I was trying to say, but you said it much better :D

@Stainedwhatever How can you presume to know what matters if you know nothing about the subject, as you openly admit in your post?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Maybe technical is the wrong word, but he is the most complicated. Very serious Oli's are going to need to know all of this knowledge in order to be great with him.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Like what someone already mentioned, the fact that he's such a complicated character is why us P&O mainers want to main him to begin with. Even when he first came out we were warned (officially might I add) that he's going to be for experienced SSB players. And even upon watching the video - any P&O 1vs1 video, given that you're analytic and have a clue on how the game functions, it's pretty clear that Pikmin & Olimar will indeed be one of the most complicated characters to ever come to SSB. I mean, it's a pet class (or rather, pet-dependent class), ofcourse it's going to be complicated. Though I'm sure alot of us figured that out the first time he was introduced, lol.

Top Bottom