• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar is UNSTOPPABLE

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
i win about 90% of the time with him when I play against my buddies. The only time I actually lose is when my buddy pick Ike and hits and kills me at 40%. Besides that Olimar can pretty much the sh*t outta anyone. His smashes are very powerful, his air attack are lethal. And his recovery is amazing.

Olimar is simply unstoppable

VagrantGhost

Smash Rookie
He's very good, but "unstoppable" is almost certainly just hyperbole. I've been shut down by good players of their respective characters (ROB, Pokemon Trainer, and Meta Knight come to mind just from firsthand experience).

Olimar is easy to pick up just by virtue of his great smash and grab range, but there is depth to him with regard to microing your pikmin well. From this stems another kind of depth - how well your opponent notices what kind of pikmin you have, and how they try and counter you using this information. Olimar is quite good, but there are chinks in his armor.

Lastly, I don't know how "great" his recovery is. I've had times where I've had the full six pikmin, used the pikmin chain when it looked like I was fully able to grab the ledge, and then I've missed. :\

bluezaft

The True Zaft
"His recovery is amazing"? He's one of the most easily edgeguarded characters in the game.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
His recovery isn't exactly great when you're perpendicular to the edge of the stage.. His tether requires an angle unlike Ivysaur's, for example.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
He's very good, but "unstoppable" is almost certainly just hyperbole. I've been shut down by good players of their respective characters (ROB, Pokemon Trainer, and Meta Knight come to mind just from firsthand experience).

Olimar is easy to pick up just by virtue of his great smash and grab range, but there is depth to him with regard to microing your pikmin well. From this stems another kind of depth - how well your opponent notices what kind of pikmin you have, and how they try and counter you using this information. Olimar is quite good, but there are chinks in his armor.

Lastly, I don't know how "great" his recovery is. I've had times where I've had the full six pikmin, used the pikmin chain when it looked like I was fully able to grab the ledge, and then I've missed. :\
I've actually started to notice this "other depth" when playing with friends. My friends know now that I understand how the whistle works and how to micro my pikmin and they do well to keep away when they see purple or blue anticipating a powerful grab or smash attack. It seems as if their desire is to bait you into throwing them and botching up your order. I react to this just by playing it cool and using Olimar's superb distance game. But yeah, you do have to watch out for people counter playing your next few Pikmin. Mixing up attacks might be okay too. If they always expect a fair when you have a red or yellow, try to grab instead.

Bozen

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I get scared sometimes when I get knocked off the stage with Olimar. His up B isn't the best recovery and as Bluezaft said is easily edgegaurded.

chainsaw2x333

Smash Cadet
Word up Olimar is the man....his ^B should be able to be done more than once since he's easily edgeguarded, but then dat would make him more insane lol

Top Bottom