• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar in 4-player FFA

Medalhed

Smash Rookie
We all know that Olimar is a god in 1v1 and strategy for that situation has been discussed to death, but Olimar's FFA game hasn't really been discussed.

I know that FFA is far from competitive and that it is probably not of particular interest to those more interested in the metagame, but Olimar, who's strategy revolves around ground-control and defensive playing, takes a huge hit from the addition of more players to the battle, and major concessions to your strategy are required.

I don't know about you guys, but I play a lot of 4-player FFA with my friends, and I would appreciate discussion of this element of Olimar's game.

Anyway, I feel that the best strategy when playing against more than one person is to forget for the most part Olimar's Side-B (as the pikmin will be destroyed almost instantly by players fighting each other and often not letting you capitalize on them) and play super-defensively, using aerials and smashes to fend off enemies and poach kills in points mode.

If anyone has any specific tips, strategies, or uses for moves, feel free to post them here.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
I'm actually a fan of using the side-B on an opponent who breaks off from the fray. Olimar needs to concentrate on one opponent at a time, and treat it as a 1v1 within a larger battle.

BTW, do you go to GameFAQ's? I recognize the sig.

Medalhed

Smash Rookie
I'm actually a fan of using the side-B on an opponent who breaks off from the fray. Olimar needs to concentrate on one opponent at a time, and treat it as a 1v1 within a larger battle.

BTW, do you go to GameFAQ's? I recognize the sig.
Yeah, that's a good plan, although Olimar seems to (in my experience, although I don't claim to be a pro) be prone to being poached from because of his defensive play style.

And yes, I do post regularly on GameFAQs. I haven't changed this sig in ages =P I actually got it out of my 9th grade history text book. It was originally the dialog in a pre-World War I British political cartoon regarding the arms race going on at the time.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Honestly, FFA tends to be a break from competitive playing for me, so what ever does the most damage works for me :) as I really don't try until the last two people, olimar is light and can be easily tossed around, and going in the middle of F=> A Ike/Wolf/Marth spammers wouldn't be a wise idea...

More or less, what I is either, spam pikmin first, and if my oppenents ignore me, let them raise hell or, become the center of attention jumping directly i the middle with an Air smash downward, breaking up (usually ) the group.

Though with 4 FFA, its never truley serious as competitive playing is to me, and wifi (in with anyone mode that is)..its all about winning, with only 2min to get as many kills as possible, Ksing, and racking up damage is key.

Every strat is different, just have fun ;)

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I absolutely love 4-player free for alls with Olimar. I usually stick with a defensive style, staying out of the fray and safe from harm. If someone notices, and begins approaching me, I simply spam my forward smashes and grabs. If I grab them, I throw them back out at the other players. Once people begin reaching above 100%, I rush in and Up-Smash them to death, or Forward-Air them to death. Then, I stand outside of the fighting, again, and repeat. :) The key is to let the players fight each other, and Olimar acts as the janitor and cleans up the stage. :)

Medalhed

Smash Rookie
I absolutely love 4-player free for alls with Olimar. I usually stick with a defensive style, staying out of the fray and safe from harm. If someone notices, and begins approaching me, I simply spam my forward smashes and grabs. If I grab them, I throw them back out at the other players. Once people begin reaching above 100%, I rush in and Up-Smash them to death, or Forward-Air them to death. Then, I stand outside of the fighting, again, and repeat. :) The key is to let the players fight each other, and Olimar acts as the janitor and cleans up the stage. :)
Really? I've never thought of Olimar as a poacher. :lick:

Yorrin

Smash Rookie
Any character can poach. It's just a matter of knowing when to come in and when to hang back...

Top Bottom