• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Explored

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Now that Olimars been out for awhile, I was thinking we could have a refreshed discussion about his viability. What problems did you have in the beginning and what problems are you having now?

My thoughts:
In the begining, I was really frustrated because I felt like most of my deaths weren't my fault due to the inconsistency and reliabilty of my Pikmin during his recovery. I still feel that this happens much too often but I have manged to reduce how often it occurs by constantly taking cautionary steps. I still wish he had an extra something to reduce the burden of having to whistle 1-3 times when getting knocked off stage, just to help his recovery stay intact.

His damage output is awesome and he makes the most of grabs. His Pikmin are fairly solid although I have a hard time placing what the Red Pikmin's job is, and to a lesser extent, the Yellow.

I recently learned how to usmash OoS so my game will probably be stepped up a notch.

I do fairly well with him in local tournaments, but I have a feeling that it's because people don't know how to fight against him, so essentially Time will his biggest downfall. When people learn to go off stage and tap him, it'll be difficult to compete, imo.

His current speculated tier is in the bottom of the bottom. I'm not sure that I agree with that now, but I also don't see other characters having the kinds of problems that he has. If his Pikmin were more reliable and had a few tweaks to them, along with a less predictable recovery, I think he would certainly become a viable character in the long run.

What are your thoughts?

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is like IC.
Completely dependent on pikmin.
A well-developed, and played olimar can easily be top tier.

Soniv

Smash Cadet
I have to agree that his recovery bothers me so much. Not because it's poor, he has pretty good recovery options. But because sometimes it seems like he or the pikmin should grab the ledge, and he just doesn't.

I love almost everything else about him. His airs are strong, his smashes feel good, his tilts are deceptively strong. The recovery is just frustrating at times.

I think he has a lot of potential. You have some good choice in your attacks and strats. The pikmin mechanic makes using them optimally very scary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom