• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old School Player + I've Returned *New Age* Ice Climbers vs Samus

Hello my names was actually AlexanderTriad way back when... IF A MODERATOR READS THIS they can just delete that old trash account (AlexanderTriad) it took me a while to create this profile. I mostly just Trolled with my old account anyhow including its profile. I hardly posted on the old on anyways.

Basically in the summer of 2005 and the time-frame spring 2006 and ending in early 2008 (some unknown time I can't remember) I played. I went to tournaments. I went to Majors (What they seemed to abbreviate Major Tournaments *The ones west coast players would fly over to play as well as others). I traveled to get scopes on other players and play styles.

I actually got somewhat good. It might have been the fact I lived 20 minutes away from m2k or I eventually traveled regularly to Chu-Dats Bi-Weeklies. However, no one ever played Ice Climbers except for Chu and even after becoming friends with him and getting A LOT of friendlies he NEVER played his Ice Climbers.

The thing was I never played to win just to get better when I could I guess because that's the nature of the game but it was an outlet to distract myself from a serious problem occurring in my life. This serious problem was health related and very complicated.

Now that my health is getting better I plan to play this game more actually as a part of rehab. But for now here is my current problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just starting to have the strength to get out of my house SOMEWHAT regularly and I went to a tournament. I lost to someone who hardly knows how to play the game + who played Ice Climbers. I didn't ban anything and even let him goto FD. He just kept WDing for the grab and I was confused at first and then just remembered (OH NO WOBBLING IS NOT BANNED ANYMORE). I heard him later that night say he used to main Samus, and after getting destroyed by his wobbling fest the first match. The second round he went Samus and I destroyed him more than he did to me. Then he went ICs again and counter-picked FD because the ruling of counter-picking the level you already won on was not in effect.... then he finished me off. It was somewhat closer but only because the guy doesn't know how to play the game in general and it made me frustrated because I shouldn't lose to someone I'm better at the game than him for the most part.

The information on the Samus vs ICs match up on here seems very vague.

I was wondering if...

(a) anyone could give me their own personal experience of combating Ice Climbers

(b) what is the different ways to break up Popo and Nana

(c) and after Nana is knocked away what are the best ways to punish Nana while keeping yourself safe from Solo Popo.

Thank You for any and all input!

and again moderators please just delete my old account and not this account. It took me a while to set up my profile for this account and this account and the new player that I am is more serious about playing the game.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
The ICs MU is WAAAAAAY in samus' favor. It's depressing. Take climbers to the biggest stage you can and camp them. They have almost no response. Wavedash out of shield isn't even safe because Nana will get shield poked by missiles and die. Honestly every one of Samus' moves is good against climbers. Don't get wobbbled. It's that easy.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I played a dedicated Icies main with my day 2 Samus a while back and three stocked him ;-;

tilts keep icies at a distance, missiles and charge shots kill Nana... just do Samus things and you should win no problem.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
b) Bomb, missiles, charge shot, grab will all disrupt the ice climbers and set them up to and/or outright seperate them. Grab is especially hilarious but is really risky. I feel that it is important to do different amounts of damage to each ice climber so that any move will send them on different knock back paths.

c)fire missile canceled missiles at Nana. What's she gonna do, shield? She doesn't know how to do that lol.

For me it's a brave new world that seems strangely familiar, wobbling wasn't.

Yeah i forgot how stupid nana is and thanks for the input i'll just be extra campy and careful and I feel like missile spamming a bit and just apply pressure so I don't get wobbled which was how I died. I came out hot against the classic match ups Fox, Marth, Shiek, Falco even Falcon (he was a lot more popular back then I guess thanks to Isiah?). Also M2K (way back when and since I lived 20 mins from him) pounded for days and days with his Marth when getting ready for FC diamond.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
For me it's a brave new world that seems strangely familiar, wobbling wasn't.

Yeah i forgot how stupid nana is and thanks for the input i'll just be extra campy and careful and I feel like missile spamming a bit and just apply pressure so I don't get wobbled which was how I died. I came out hot against the classic match ups Fox, Marth, Shiek, Falco even Falcon (he was a lot more popular back then I guess thanks to Isiah?). Also M2K (way back when and since I lived 20 mins from him) pounded for days and days with his Marth when getting ready for FC diamond.
Up B shield pokes nana, so if you do a late nair L cancel, you can up b and snag nana easily away from popo on stages with plats to safely get away. Really just Bair nana, so your front can always be facing popo for quicker reaction, and wavelands back into up tilts to just wall out the sopo, bair is quick and not a huge commitment so just snip nana with 1 or 2 of them and she is ded

Top Bottom