• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old computers faster then 2.2 ghz are great

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
One thing I noticed is that people throw away perfectly good computers extremely often where I live. I recently picked up an older HP box with 2.6 GHz P4 with HT, 1 gig of RAM and a 200 gig HD installed. I don't know about you, but if your are not a hardcore gamer like myself, these types of machines are excellent for web surfing, watching HD media, and even a headless Apache web server if so desired.

It's rather funny that consumers constantly fall for the elaborate computer marketing campaigns all the time, like it's going to change your life or something, when it's obviously not.

So how many of you technology savvy people still have an older machine that you use regularly? It could be your secondary or primary machine; I'm just wondering what people are using, because most of the time the brand new C2D processors are completely unnecessary for average users.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've got one full Windows box laying around that's chock full of viruses. I've never gotten around to wiping it. But I also have a ton of spare pieces. Practically enough to make a full computer if I got a case for it.

I sure wish that I had people around me chucking computers! Lol. But truth be told, I dunno what I'd do with them. It might be fun and educational to network and configure them all, but I wouldn't have any real purpose for it. I already have a couple of good computers I do use.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I usually wipe clean the computers I find, and install a copy of Drexel U edition XP pro. Then I sell them on Ebay.

Alt and Buzz, I live in a really yuppie town in South Jersey where people don't know what to do with their money, rather then saving it, they try to keep up with the Joneses.

Top Bottom