• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, somone explain the fire hydrant?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
so is pacland gonna be the new flat zone?
It at least looks a bit easier to navigate than Flat Zone. But then again, there are a lot of ghosts in that game, driving cars, bouncing on pogo sticks, flying UFOs. I dunno, it may be a bit crazy.

Was it important in Pac-Land? I actually like it but it feels really random.

Looked it up. What a hideous game.:laugh:

How have I never heard of this? I like a lot of Pac-Man games but this...god lord. And it's going to have a stage in Smash.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Some of them made fruit appear if you hopped on them. Some gave Pac-Man a hat that protected him if you pushed them. And others shot water out that knocked you around. It was sort of relevant to the game, but not something I ever figured they'd use as a move.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

How have I never heard of this? I like a lot of Pac-Man games but this...god lord. And it's going to have a stage in Smash.
Really? Hideous? As someone who played Pac-Man in the arcades back when it was new, I remember it looking great for its time.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
God, I hope this level isn't just the town part of Pac Land.

Traversing the entire game would be a ton of fun.

Really? Hideous? As someone who played Pac-Man in the arcades back when it was new, I remember it looking great for its time.
Pac-man looks great for its time. This does not. I'm talking more about aesthetic though. Not a good looking design.

Pac-man looks great for its time. This does not. I'm talking more about aesthetic though. Not a good looking design.
Agreed, though it looks better in motion, as the background has separate scrolling layers. Still, it is like mspaint scribbles and I think even I could pixel-art better than the goofs who made that game, lol.

I hope the stage in Smash is good, though! I just think that this spinoff getting its own stage and move in Pac-Man's arsenal is bizarre. While we're at it, let's have a Sonic Spinball stage and a Mega Man Soccer stage.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
honestly Super Mario Bros. owes a lot to Pac-Land:

it was a side scrolling/get power ups/cut into multiple levels/get to the end of the game Game before mario ever did it. In fact the only "side scroller" before this was arguably pit fall but this was the FIRST one to do it the way we have all come to love side scrollers. Mario just perfected it and made it insanely popular

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Agreed, though it looks better in motion, as the background has separate scrolling layers. Still, it is like mspaint scribbles and I think even I could pixel-art better than the goofs who made that game, lol.

I hope the stage in Smash is good, though! I just think that this spinoff getting its own stage and move in Pac-Man's arsenal is bizarre. While we're at it, let's have a Sonic Spinball stage and a Mega Man Soccer stage.
Sonic Spinball was the only video game my dad liked playing with me as a kid. I would love the **** out of a Spinball stage for that reason alone.

Sonic Spinball was the only video game my dad liked playing with me as a kid. I would love the **** out of a Spinball stage for that reason alone.
Come to think of it, that first stage with the sewer dragon and Robotnik scorpion would make a pretty cool stage in Smash. But I'd still be scratching my head over it.

I'm glad that you have such a fond memory of it! My pa would also (very selectively) play games with me, and I always cherished those memories more than playing with my friends.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't know if I agree in calling Pac-Land a "spinoff". Namco seems to love the game. They reference it all of the time and use it as a basis for a lot of Pac-Man's continuity, in the rare occasions where it exists. I'm not surprised to see it represented in Pac-Man's moveset (and with a stage).

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i thought i read somewhere in here that the hydrant was a 3 level move like villagers tree. i dont think it is. i think just 1 down b will plant the hydrant and it will spew water on its own. and f tilting it just kicked it forward.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't get into the game when I tried playing it, but that's true for a lot of early 80's platformers to me. I'm so used to the smooth platforming from Mario, Sonic, Kirby,DK etc etc that I forget how stiff and awkward it used to feel lol. Super Mario Bros still holds up well, but that's one of the top 15 games or so of all time. You can't hold every early platform game to that standard.

I just appreciate the aesthetic, being an old school carmudgeon. I do wish the Maze was on both versions, though.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't see the stage remastered or anything...but at least they had the decency to do it to the fire hydrant.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
According to Siliconera it's his "Down A" attack, I'm assuming its a smash and not a tilt.

I was confused as to why Sakurai is using so much from Pac Land which most of us think looks like an ugly generic platformer, until some of yall pointed out that it was the first side scrolling platformer. I gotta say that it is a revolutionary title.

And I gotta admit, the hat suits pacman, hopefully he gets an alternate outfit with the hat.
But the fire hydrant as an attack still escapes my understanding. I guess that those old school fire hydrants must be an interesting item to japanese people. Kinda like how anvils and grand pianos falling from the sky in western cartoons when they are out of place in this time, as a reference to older cartoons.

I kinda like the MS Paint look of the game. And the tune is so catchy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It doesnt look terrible, it actually looks like a PC game from the 90s.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
It's kinda funny that the Pac-Man trailer pointed out how Pac was a year older than Mario, turns out Pac also had a side scroller before Mario.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This game was also one of the first to use parallax scrolling (i.e. the foreground and background scroll at different rates)

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
And another Pac-Man first: Pac-Man World Rally used the power sliding technique we now use in Mario Kart before Mario Kart did. Before Pac-Man World Rally, Mario Kart had the issue with snaking, and people hated it or loved it. Pac-Man World Rally came out and implemented the whole system of getting a better boost the longer you slid, and then Mario Kart Wii came out and did the same thing.

Pac-Man World Rally also had the whole trick system before Mario Kart did, giving you boosts for hitting the hop button whenever you went over hills, which again was put into Mario Kart Wii.

Don't know if this is Nintendo borrowing an idea to fix something many complained about or if it was just a coincidence, but I remember playing Pac-Man World Rally and thinking "man, I wish Mario Kart did these things."

Pac-Man has really pioneered or reinvented quite a few things, but unfortunately, a lot of people see him as an outdated icon and mostly ignore his later stuff.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
World Rally is seriously an underrated gem.
I loved that game. The mechanics and courses were so fun. My one issue with it was the CPU players weren't a challenge, and it didn't have online, so once I beat it, I had no more reason to play it.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Actually I think mario kart super circuit did time-delayed power sliding first.

Back on point, tho, I like the ms paint style graphics on pac land. They're "charming" lol :)

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I agree in calling Pac-Land a "spinoff". Namco seems to love the game. They reference it all of the time and use it as a basis for a lot of Pac-Man's continuity, in the rare occasions where it exists. I'm not surprised to see it represented in Pac-Man's moveset (and with a stage).
It's a spinoff. A spinoff doesn't mean its bad or anything. it just means its an attempt to make a character in a franchise try a new genre. Like Paper Mario is a Mario spinoff. It's not bad, but it's not the usual platforming since its an RPG. Pac-Land isn't the usual maze navigating gameplay in the usual Pac-Man games, so it is indeed a spinoff.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
And another Pac-Man first: Pac-Man World Rally used the power sliding technique we now use in Mario Kart before Mario Kart did. Before Pac-Man World Rally, Mario Kart had the issue with snaking, and people hated it or loved it. Pac-Man World Rally came out and implemented the whole system of getting a better boost the longer you slid, and then Mario Kart Wii came out and did the same thing.

Pac-Man World Rally also had the whole trick system before Mario Kart did, giving you boosts for hitting the hop button whenever you went over hills, which again was put into Mario Kart Wii.

Don't know if this is Nintendo borrowing an idea to fix something many complained about or if it was just a coincidence, but I remember playing Pac-Man World Rally and thinking "man, I wish Mario Kart did these things."

Pac-Man has really pioneered or reinvented quite a few things, but unfortunately, a lot of people see him as an outdated icon and mostly ignore his later stuff.

I thought this game did all what World Rally would after 6 years passed?

Heck, even Crash: Nitro Kart used the antigravity-mechanic for it's tracks, something MK8's so capitalizing on.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist

This.... is...... amazing!!!!!!!!!!

maining pac-man now. oldskool horricrazy games TOO GOOD!

like the only thing that could make this better is if retro-8bit-iceclimbers were added to smash. omg

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
While we're at it, let's have a Sonic Spinball stage and a Mega Man Soccer stage.
Don't tease me with the possibility of the freedom fighters making a cameo appearance again with their reboot designs. Or a spinball stage with freedom fighters assist trophy? I'm just getting myself excited over nothing again am I?

Top Bottom