• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, so DK has been a secondary of mine ever since Melee...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
and he's at the very top of my secondaries list in Brawl(only behind my mains IC, GaW and Jiggz). How do I play effectively with him?

I tend to play Donkey Kong very defensively because of the huge changes he's gone through in brawl. I find that he's no longer the power-house with decent combo-ability that he was in Melee. I guess that's just because of the physics change but I still find myself sometimes trying to pull off my old Melee antics(Grab a CF, Cargo-Uthrow -> Uair -> regrab doesn't work anymore.... :( Up-B OoS seems unviable now.. the list goes on)

I treat DK like an fortress now, usually staying in one place and spamming his F/Dtilt more than I EVER did. Those moves are TOO GOOD. I'm almost certain there's a sweetspot on his Dtilt that can consistently trip. Is it like between his elbow and wrist?

Bair, while still a good move, doesn't seem as effective for spacing and comboing like it used to be. I used to be able to Bair -> Grab in Melee. However, it's still a beastly KO move.

Utilt is TOO GOOD. It seems to intercept ALOT of aerial approaches. Also, it seems to cover a big arc above him.

Nair seems even less useful. At least in melee, it sometimes lead into a grab. I can't seem to find anywhere to fit it.

Dair and Fair are still situational.

Should I use his jabs more often?

His Smashes are still good but JEEZ, I freaking love his Dsmash.

Donkey Punch, while the range nerf is kinda depressing, Invincibility frames are waaaay to freaking good. :O And it still kills at low percents. Not to mention, Headbutt -> Donkey Punch = best combo in the game.

Speaking of which, I use headbutt alot more often now even through the wind-up is still kinda bad. The benefits are just too good now.

I heard that I should be using Down-B alot more. Why is that? It'll take a while to break the Melee habit of "*insert move here* is a waste. Don't use it.".

Also, something that I noticed. His Gliding toss is freaking AMAZING. :O It's great to see such a big character gliding toss a banana into UH-OH! DONKEH PAUNCH! XD

I wish I had a video so I could get some critique on my playing. But what should I be doing? Also, I can't seem to play him against a projectile spamming character at all. D: It hurts to face a Toon link and Snake is one of my worse match-ups in general because he zones so effectively and he can go blow-for-blow with DK up close. He seems so different from his Melee counterpart and honestly, he feels a lot more difficult to play. He actually feels like a legit Power character now as opposed to combo character with good knock-out moves.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, the guides will help you out a lot. downb now eats rolls, shields, spot dodges, and running attacks. Bair is now one of your better combo moves (leads into headbutts), it's also great for approaches. uair is now strictly for kills and characters who don't fastfall, and the bpunch should be kept for surprises and superarmor, any time when bpunch would work, fsmash would work just as well (except in the air, but its somewhat impossible to use fsmash in the air)and nair is good for ledge guarding and fastfalling on to people that airdodged whatever you were going to use

Top Bottom