• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OK, i must be doing it wrong, AGAIN---CG help

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
OK, so i heard that the proper way to do his CG is grab, dthrow, dash once into shield grab---is this right, cuz it seems like it gives way too much times, so i tend to go back to my old ways of just dashing grab, but that's also not difficult for some people to get out of---so am i doing it wrong or do i just need work on it and get the timing down.

Thanks

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
You're playing the GC controller, right? *sigh*

Apparently it's harder to do the Shield Grab on the Gamecube than, say, the Nunchuk.
Anyway, if you're doing it right, it's impossible to escape from. So if they can escape, then you have room to improve.
Get a buddy who is willing to be chaingrabbed for an hour or so, and practice the he** out of the thing. Play in 1/4 time if necessary, then steadily move up. Be absolutely sure to do every part of the chaingrab as soon as possible. Trial and error is the best way to figure out how soon you can do any part of the grab.
After you're more confident, then have your buddy come in and try to get out of the thing as best he can. If he can't get out, then you've got it down. If he can, AND you're doing every part of the grab as soon as the game will let you, then it's not the right form of the grab.

I'll leave a link to a video of me doing the chaingrab "perfectly", so that you can see what it's supposed to look like, just in case you're actually doing one of the wrong ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSiCewSyzi8

He escaped at 1:05 due to my error, not his good timing.

Anyway, I hope I helped somewhat! Good luck with perfecting the chaingrab!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't shield grab my CG. I just hit Z every time. I used to shield grab it but i've found this to be faster.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
i did, but i can't get the shield grab down i guess, i'll go work on it now

so it's a full dash animation to shield grab right

OK, i just needed to work on the timing, i've got it now thanks

whut?

Smash Journeyman
IMO..to perform SCGs You have to press R-A instead of both at the same time.
dthrow, trot, R(interrupt trot)A, with short delay on the grab.
I dont know how to explain it, theres alot of confusion on SCGs,
but Youll be able to chaingrab sonic, pit, martha, or whoever was rumored to escape the CG with upB.
in qwertymans vid i noticed shieldcanceled grabs at 0:53-0:57.
Then he did shieldgrabs after that, which lead to him messing up.

reply edit: Interrupt the trot w/ shield, not full dash. After shield- immediately grab.
You will notice ddd slides a bit before and after the grab. Visible in the vid posted before, at the times i mentioned.
I cant really explain it differently, sorry. Its a confusing discussion since it hasnt been discussed much,
besides a handful of old ddd mains on the forum. Might just be the timing of grab during trot for all i know,
but this works against jab/upB escapes, contrary to popular belief.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
what, cuz i've been doing a full dash animation, then shieldgrabbing, do you dash, cancel the dash w/ a shieldgrab, or dash, wait until you can use shield after the dash animation, then shield grab. I don't know if that made sense, but i hope it did.

Can you actually cancel a dash with a shield or will nothing happen? Gah, I'm really confused.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Haha, Whut? and I shall grind it into your heads until it is crystal clear.

You do it in this order.

Dash. Shield. A. Down. Repeat.

Do not press Shield and A at the same time, it just makes a normal dash grab. Move the other player to the edge and practice this until you don't roll anymore.

Then use it on the opponent. A live opponent holding R and pressing down repeatedly works best. Once they can't escape, then you're a champion CGer. Practice it on people trying all sorts of attacks. Then help spread the words of success to the other Dedede users.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Haha, Whut? and I shall grind it into your heads until it is crystal clear.
You do it in this order.
Dash. Shield. A. Down. Repeat.
Do not press Shield and A at the same time, it just makes a normal dash grab.
What? Youll grind what into my head?
I was the one always ranting on this in the past when nobody knew what it was,
besides a handful of old ddd mains, trust me on that.
Maybe i was unclear, I didnt say press shield and A at the same time, at all.
IMO..to perform SCGs You have to press R-A instead of both at the same time.
I said there is delay on the grab, its a fingerdance on the controller.
"After shield, immediately grab", not simultaneous.
But thanks for adding some info to the topic.

<3

Top Bottom