• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offline or online practice

AeroX5

Smash Rookie
I’m not talking lab or netplay I mean is grinding offline in 20xx better or is playing a ton of online of lan matches better?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This is a very vague question. It mostly depends on what areas you need to improve in. Also it's not like practice is either solo grinding or playing other people- it's definitely both.

Playing people in person is usually preferable to playing people on netplay, if that is an option. I recommend getting in touch with you local scene. Netplay is good depending on how you use it.

The question is very broad so I don't know exactly how to answer it.

AeroX5

Smash Rookie
I’m new as in I’ve been playing for 1 month, I I can wave shine wavedash dash dance l cancels etc, should I like really grind by punish game? Or is playing against people better to get a better punish game?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Playing against other people is really important when you start playing. If you can find one or two people in your local scene or online who don't body you and can grow at the same pace as you, that is optimal. Playing people better than you is also good practice.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I think you should spend time doing both. Its important to practice tech skill whenever possible because that comes from muscle memory. It's easier to do when you play offline, against a low level computer. The more you practice, the better. Then you can take those skills into online matches to put those skills into practice. Matches against other people will be the best way to practice once you feel that you are able to perform all of your actions on command and consistently.

GhostM

Phantom
You should consider practicing on both, as each has their own benefits. Offline is usually for tech skill and to practice combos against low skilled bots, but don’t assume that you always have to practice offline, as 20xx bots at the end of the day are bots, and not actual people. Most people don’t play like the 20xx bots, which is why you shouldn’t always stick with practicing offline, as everyone’s play style is going to be different. This is where online with net play comes in, as it better represents how people actually play, as not everyone is going to have perfect inputs.

Top Bottom