• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Teams Tier List: version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Everyone knows that teams is a different game from singles, from the very obvious removal of 0-130 chaingrabs, to frequently demanding more effective (yet riskier) edgeguards for fear of a teammate's assistance.

Due to these differences, the tier list is affected. Certain characters find themselves more effective in singles than in teams, and some benefit greatly from having a teammate around. Recently, a multi-region panel
Read: while I was still in the MW
took it upon themselves to rank the individual characters in their effectiveness in teams.

While I am pleased with how it turned out for a first draft, it is far from perfect. I am hoping to spark discussion on the nuances of teams and move toward a better ranking of all characters abilities in teams. After all, teams is my favorite event.

We attempted to rank characters on certain abilities.
Important Teams Aspects:
  • Quick damage payout - Extremely important when a long combo can be interrupted by the other teammate.
  • Useful kill move/Gimps - The ability to effectively take stocks at lower percents is vital.
  • Survivability/Recovery - Useful for the opposite reason as the kill move.
  • Edgeguarding - Necessitates edgeguarding effectively on the FIRST hit. Elaborate but safe edgeguards don't work nearly as well as in singles.
  • Overall speed - Ability to move across the stage to help your teammate faster.
  • Effective at Saving - Increases your teammate's survivability.
  • Less emphasized aspects
    • Danger to teammate - How likely a character is to kill their teammate.
    • Ability to 2v1 or 1v2 - Important for late game, means very little in the overall scheme of teams.
Disclaimer: These are the aspects I remember discussing currently; we might have brought up other points as well.

The Teams Tier List:
:fox: Fox
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff

High
:falcon: Falcon
:peach: Peach
:falco: Falco
:sheik: Sheik
:ganondorf: Ganon

Upper Mid
:marth: Marth
:drmario: Doc
:zelda: Zelda
:samus2: Samus

Lower Mid
:pikachu2: Pikachu
:luigi2: Luigi
:mario2: Mario
:popo: Ice Climbers

Low
:yoshi2: Yoshi
:roymelee: Roy
:link2: Link
:gw: Game & Watch
:dk2: Donkey Kong
:ness2: Ness
:mewtwo: Mewtwo
:pichu: Pichu

Bottom
:kirby2: Kirby
:younglinkmelee: Young Link
:bowser2: Bowser

What follows is a brief description of why the characters find themselves in their respective positions.

Fox -
Basically the character perfect for teams, he does everything someone would want when playing teams.
Jigglypuff -
Free rest lol. Also good at saving, recovering, and gets free edgeguards because it can go so far off the stage.

High
Falcon -
Very much like fox, but worse at gimps and more of likely to knee his teammate to death. Also gets gimped more often.
Peach -
Great damage payout, recovery, ability to save, but very slow overall and doesn't have good kill moves.
Falco -
Damage ***** and does everything amazingly, but tends to lose stocks early.
Sheik -
Doesn't have her CGs, but is still sheik.
Ganon -
Great damage payout and kill moves, benefits hugely from having a teammate that can help him back on the stage. Tends to kill his teammate.

Upper Mid
Marth -
Not nearly as effective as in singles, since his long edgeguards get interrupted. Great stage control and can get easy tippers sometimes.
Doc -
Kill moves, edgeguards, nothing particularly outstanding about doc in teams, but still a good character.
Zelda -
Toe is amazing at 20% and early kills. (Think knee with better control and 2 in one SH.) Good recovery and survivability. Great teams character compared to singles.
Samus -
Yes, below Zelda. Lacks kill moves and not spectacular at damage. Her recovery frequently takes TOO long, and tends to do a lot of damage to her teammate.

Lower Mid
Pikachu -
Upsmash, recovery, gimps, edgeguards, and quite speedy.
Luigi -
Great damage, recovery is long enough for teammate assistance, not bad at killing, very fast on the ground.
Mario -
Nothing particularly outstanding or limiting about Mario in teams.
Ice Climbers -
Terrible teams character, gets bounced around frequently, loses grab combos, but still have wavesmash for good damage and kills.

Low
Yoshi -
Good damage and recovery, has a few gimps
Roy -
Tends to have bad damage, but effective edgeguards, and can survive for a surprisingly long time with good DI.
Link -
What damage? Good survivability and decent edgeguards, but tends to use projectiles and that always causes issues for teammate.
Game & Watch -
Extra light, but otherwise is pretty good in teams.
Donkey Kong -
Gets tossed around, but survives well, does damage quickly, and otherwise isn't bad at teams.
Ness -
Good priority in fair and useful kill move in bair, extra special ability to heal lol
Mewtwo -
Another large character who can be tossed around. Decent kill moves and priority for a low tier, but let's be honest we're getting to the bottom here.
Pichu -
He's fast and has nair and upsmash, but is horribly light and has no range.

Bottom
Kirby -
Hapless character is hapless.
Young Link -
Terrible teammate (projectile reliance,) bad kills moves, damage, and very light.
Bowser -
Tends to get tossed around the stage like a useless turtle, but hey, he's got upb.

----
So where did we go horribly wrong? Who's better than who we have ranked above them and why?

To be honest, we had a very difficult time ranking Yoshi/Roy/Link and an even harder time with GW/DK/Ness/M2/Pichu, so more research and opinions are needed on those characters abilities in teams before I'm comfortable with where they're ranked.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
oh **** at first i was thinking brawl and i was like NOT SURE IF SRS

shoulda known better tho

interesting list. i dont play enough melee teams to really comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom