• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Captain Falcon

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Just some observations I've made after about an hour of toying around with Lightning Falcon Kick

If you manage to stun the opponent, the best guaranteed follow-ups are-
-Knee
-Up-air -> knee (depends on percent)
-Up-air -> footstool (depends on character and percent)
-Grab
-F-smash
-Footstool (fairly difficult). It might be possible to loop infinitely, but I'm not sure. So far I've been able to get it the most by spamming a short-hop input and holding slightly in the direction of the opponent

Occasionally you'll notice that you stun the opponent but do 18%, when stunning typically does 4%. This happens because the non-stunning hitbox comes out, but the stunning hitbox also comes out and stuns the opponent after they're hit with the initial attack. For some reason follow-ups out of this variation of LFK never register as being true combos in Training Mode, but I am unsure whether that's actually the case.

The best way to stun (in my experience) is to aim slightly in front of the opponent. Obviously LFK is very risky and fairly hard to stun with, so use it in extreme moderation. I would recommend using LFK on stages with platforms fairly low to the ground, like Battlefield. If an opponent (has to be somewhat tall) is below a platform, and you initiate LFK above that platform, you will usually be able to stun the opponent. This does eliminate some of your ground punishing options once you stun, however. I'm still experiment with footstooling when using this method.

Also, could someone test as to ensure that both of the variations of Falcon Kick possess the same hitlag modifiers as the original that prevent frame canceling? Can anyone confirm is it's possible to stun while using LFK offstage (although I understand that's not remotely practical)?
Im almost certain it doesnt aerial stun :/. You may be able to stun them while they regrab ledge or something (testing on 3ds sucks). Lfk on platforms is really good though! When say ganon is just on the outside platforms of bf and you stun him while on the platform it sets up perfect for dair spikes :D or a juggle.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yo seeing as customs are going to be in evo I'd like to see what custom moves can do.

Any tips on unlocking them easily ? Right now I'm doing crazy orders but that's quite limited and I seem to only get Ganon customs even though he's the only character on which I already have all the customs.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Yo seeing as customs are going to be in evo I'd like to see what custom moves can do.

Any tips on unlocking them easily ? Right now I'm doing crazy orders but that's quite limited and I seem to only get Ganon customs even though he's the only character on which I already have all the customs.
http://youtu.be/6UI7zh4N1BM

This is the fastest version ATM. You could try replacing Ganondorf with Captain Falcon and see where that goes.

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
http://youtu.be/6UI7zh4N1BM

This is the fastest version ATM. You could try replacing Ganondorf with Captain Falcon and see where that goes.
It has to be Ganondorf. His punch hits at the perfect angle to maximize the targets broken, thus hitting the wrench item more.

Also, it isn't necessarily the fastest option. It's the easiest, as you can leave it on overnight or go read a book or something. I do recommend it if you have a turbo controller.

If not, Crazy Orders is a good way. Classic works but is a pain, only do that for a change of pace. If you want an automatic method without a turbo controller, you could either have a bunch of amiibos fight, or start up Smash Tour and leave the game going. If you are idle in Smash Tour the game takes over until you return. You'll have to restart it every 30 minutes or so.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Captain Falcon:

2, 1, 1/2, 1/2/3, niche 3XXX, XX33, X2XX

2111, 2112, 2113, 2121, 2122, 2123
niche: 3111, 3121, 2133, 2211

Captain Falcon's best customs seem mostly straightforward; the only real question here as far as I can tell is if you guys want some side-3 sets over some of the niche sets currently listed (or if you want different Falcon Kick versions with Mighty Falcon Punch or Heavy Raptor Boost for that matter). Please let us know.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Honestly i've been playing a lot with the LFK, and i can say that the stun is basically useless, it's combo properties are very limited and you have to get hard reads in order to even use it well.
However where it truly shines is when using it off-stage, since it can be both a good ledge guard and recovery option wich can take the dash punch place as recovery and synergizes best with regular Falcon Dive. I think it gives overall more utility than the Fury one, though that one still has good approach potential for mix ups. Regular Kick is good enough too.
Both Strike and regular Dive are great but don't go for Heavy Dive unless you want a niche LFK combo.
I think we all agree that regular boost is the best boost, with the other ones being just good for the surprise factor.
Falcon Dash punch seems like the way to go, but regular can still be used ocassionally. Mighty is just useless.

So my recomendations would be:
Main :
2, 1, 2, 1
1, 1, 1, 3
2, 1, 2, 2
1, 1, 2, 1
2, 1, 1, 1
2, 1, 2, 2
Niche:
2, 3, 2, 2
1, 2, 3, 3
3, 1, 1, 1
2, 2, 2, 2

Last edited:

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
I'm pretty much set on the recommendations I listed before, with each combination of Dash Punch, standard Raptor Boost, Dive and Strike, and each Falcon Kick. A Mighty Falcon Punch set should be included, but it and any other included sets are niche sets.

While there's nothing outright wrong with regular Falcon Punch, I see very little reason to give up the range and recovery of Dash Punch just for the negligible amount of extra damage and knockback. You aren't realistically throwing out Falcon Punch unless you're styling (an admittedly important factor of playing the Captain). Still, if enough people want to see the standard included, I'd be fine with it.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
I know I shouldn't post here, but... I have a somewhat good set to throw out there...

Against friends, I use this Captain Falcon moveset, but I have yet to see it in use within an official tourney

Falcon Dash Punch (2)
Heavy Raptor Boost (2)
Falcon Dive (1)
Falcon Kick Fury (2)

With that Dash Punch, it's used when people don't expect it.
Heavy raptor boost can break shields very easily, though its easy to punish
Falcon dive's good for recovery and pretty powerful, but some people prefer the longer reaching Falcon Strike (2)
The Falcon Kick Fury hits repeatedly and can lead to some quick combos

It's probably not perfect, and it's kinda weird, but it's open to fixing.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
How much does the heavy raptor damage shields ? I guess it can have its uses if you're clever with it because people like to shield regular raptor boost, but it has to be effective enough to compensate the loss of the regular raptor.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
i've seen it break full shields in maybe 2-3 hits.
It can kill very early too, but if you're used to using it for recovery, it might not be the best for you.

EDIT: Also, with that heavy raptor boost you're a bit slower, but it doesn't really matter for me unless you're worried about the punish.

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
It's also way easier to go for the spike (onstage--->offstage), since you don't have to space it so perfectly to make sure you go just far out enough to send them into the abyss. On that note, using it to recover from the ledge is pretty handy too.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
I didn't know that... but it feels more risky for me since it's not as long as the regular boost.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Dash punch is pretty versatile compared to the others. You can also hold it up and down while airborne to angle it back up to a ledge or down into a ledgehoggers gut.

Falcon strike I would say is overall a better choice as well now that grab armor is gone. With strike you gain overall height, and a hitbox to trade against someone ledge guarding you. It also still combos like hug finishers.

Lfk is kinda hard to follow up on for the stun, but to add some notes for it: at 0% it will aerial stun at any angle you land on them with. It can be used for better recovery at the cost of losing the default lol option which is a big drawback IMO.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
What about his side specials? The wind up raptor boost i find is terrible since your opponent knows its coming.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Strike should be on every set, honestly... The final hit even hits people above ledges, making it hard to punish him for multiple ledge-grabs. And it also beats lots of z-dropped items due to the hitbox, and the hit at the apex as opposed to the grab near start-up is much more likely to protect him. I don't see a reason to use default.

Explosive dive seems to have potential on stages with platforms for sickening frame traps and air dodge punishes, but default is just meh.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Ok so i dunno if anyone posted this, but there's a frame trap for the stun of electric falcon kick.

After downthrow > upair stops being guaranteed, if they air dodge into the ground while you're in the air, stun kick is guaranteed. (And will get the stun)

Also upthrow > falcon strike seems to be a similar frame trap. If you choose not to upair you can get the falcon strike. It doesn't kill too well unless it's T&C or halberd (or started on a platform) but does seem consistent.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Why did no one tell me heavy raptor has super armor ? That changes everything !!

Anyone has more info on the super armor (I don't have a wii U to test it right now), like does it last for the full duration or only a fragment ?

I used to think customs were just gimmicky for Falcon but super armor is something I've dreamt about many times and it could be game changing.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Why did no one tell me heavy raptor has super armor ? That changes everything !!

Anyone has more info on the super armor (I don't have a wii U to test it right now), like does it last for the full duration or only a fragment ?

I used to think customs were just gimmicky for Falcon but super armor is something I've dreamt about many times and it could be game changing.
The super armor is out when the actual hitbox comes out but it lasts the duration of the attack, like it will eat through an entire smartbomb and remain unphased. It also only goes like 3/4 the distance of default.

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
yeah it's really good. the super armor on it breaks just when he's about to hit though (as said above)
it's very strong and i've seen it break shields in 2-3 hits... and with its short distance, some people can be read easily andthe heavy raptor boost is great for people who like to roll alot.

Top Bottom